Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/23/2003 12:09:06 PM EDT
I currently use Breakfree, but it gets gummy/sticky sometimes. Which is your preferred?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive been using the FP-10CLP on my mausers,sks's and cetme and have no complaints.It lubes much better than Break Free and I also think its a better cleaner.
It also seems to protect and stay on my weapons much better an longer than Break Free.
Make sure you buy the Firepower FP-10 mil-spec formula and not the shooters choice FP-10.
The Firepower FP-10 mil-spec formula offers much better corrosion protection.
Raymond
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
FP-10 is great, i switched from breakfree a long time ago, wont ever go back.

the firepower and shooters choice fp10 are exactly the same stuff, just packaged different. i copied this off the fp10 website.

MPC (Firepower FP-10 CLP TM ) and Ventco Ind, (Shooter's Choice FP-10) both receive countless calls with regards to the relationship and identity of the FP-10 found in both companies product lines. Hopefully, this will answer many of the very frequently asked questions with regards to this subject, and the relationship between MPC and Shooter's Choice.

Who makes FP-10?

Muscle Products Corporation (MPC) is the sole manufacturer of Firepower FP-10 CLP TM

Is there any difference between the MPC version and the Shooter's Choice Version?

No. Both Products are exactly alike in formula, performance, and characteristics.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]
That all depends on how long the FP-10 has been sitting on the shelf in the gunshop.
George said he changed the formula around the first of last year to meet the mil-spec.and shooter choice did not get it until a later date.
Chances are that most all the old forumla FP-10 is gone,but I just purchased a bottle of SC FP-10 from my local dealer and its the old formula.
Not that it really matters.
The new formula has a clear color and does not need to be shaken.
The old formula has to be shaken and has a cloudy color.As per George.
Besides I would rather spend my money at retail prices directly with MPC.More profit for them and I like dealing direct with the manufacturers.
MPC/Firepower FP-10 even states a lot number on the receipt from which the bottle came.
Not to mention the price is better from MPC.
George put together a small book of posts over on 1911.com in several threads.
Go to 1911.com and do a search for FP-10,and start reading around June 2002 to the current date.If you want to know more about the FP-10 then it should be covered in there.
By the way MPC/Firepower FP-10 is still using the old FP-10 white labels on the 16oz. bottles since they are waiting for the new labels to get in.New formula old label on the 16oz.
Ray
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the updated info Blankwaffe98, i just bought a bottle of shooters choice cause i was in a pinch and needed it, its was like 7.00 bucks for 4 ounce bottle. i have my 16 ounce bottle coming from MPC. the shooters choice stuff looks clear so maybe its the new stuff.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeap.
Like I said it probably does not matter.I will use the old formula just like I do the new.
The main reason I bought it was I wanted the 4oz bottle for the range bag.
If its clear looking after shaking the bottle lightly its the new stuff.
What I have looks kind of milky/cloudy light red once mixed.
The FP-10 I have in the 16oz bottle from MPC is clear light red color.
Eitherway its good stuff.
Ray
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:50:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been using both Breakfree CLP and FP-10 for a little while now. FP-10 definitely seems thicker to me which is why is probably "stays out" better. Both seems to work equally a cleaner but then again, I never let my firearms get that dirty. FP-10 definitely smells better (mmmm...cinnamon). However, I did have a problem with FP-10 "dissolving" the rubber recoil buffer washer in my Ceiner .22LR conversion for my Beretta 92FS. Not a big deal but worth mentioning. The only reason I'm still using CLP is because I still have about 3/4 of a 16 oz. bottle left. I only use it at the range when I have to lube a gun (usually my HK-94A3) if it starts to "dry-up" during use. After the CLP is gone, I'll be using FP-10 exclusively.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I just tried FP-10 for the first time this last weekend.  After my range session lst month, I cleaned with FP-10.  I gave the bolt group and receiver and good coating using a toothbrush after I finished, leaving a light coating.  After this most recent range session I broke down the rifle and was pleased to see that I had very little "carbon soup" swimming inside my rifle.  I had no malfunctions during the 80 rounds I fired.  The only area of the action that had any buildup that came off when I wiped it with my fingers was the area immediately around the end of the gas tube and the on the bolt.  The buildup was minor and came off with a quick wipe.  The build up was mosty dry carbon and did not appear to effect functioning at all.  Compared to the sludge I usually cleaned out of the action when I used CLP I was impresssed.  It really seems that the FP-10 does not attract the carbon, but instead allows it to be mostly blown out into air through the exhaust ports in the bolt.  It acts more like a dry-lube than an oil, but it is slicker than the dry lubes.  I also did not have any carbon in the lower receiver around the trigger group.  I give it two thumbs up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I just received two 16 oz. bottles of FP-10, getting tired of BreakFree's smell already.  Can't wait to try it!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been in the military for 30 years, and the FP-10 is without a doubt the best stuff I've used to date. I use it on all my rifles and pistols.. Great stuff.. (smells better than clp)
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#10]
cleaning me ar-15 tonight with it. right now its soaking in the reciever after it soaks in till about 10 pm i'll go flush it. already cleaned the chamber and bolt carrier group up with it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Is FP-10 as good or better when compared with CLP as a rust/corrosion preventor?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I have heard a few complaints on FP-10's corrosion prevent/abilities.  You can probably search around this forum and find some of them.  I am using FP10 now but havent used it enough to get any true results out of it.  Plus my weapons never have a chance to rust if I can help it.  CLP works fine(not terrific) in that regard.  If you check your weapons once a month you'll be fine with it.  I check mine more often since I can't help but shoot shoot shoot! he he he!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top