Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 12:25:38 PM EDT
ok - I admit it....I'm the worlds worst when it comes to maintenance, but I'm changing my ways.  I have some SEVERE carbon buildup on some suppressor internals, and some areas of the M16.  I need a good "soaking" solvent to help break it up.  Am guessing I will probably have to mechanically scrape off the crud that's built up over time on these parts, but want to change my ways and not have to repeat this if possible.  By chaning my ways, I mean I'd like to have a maintenance routine that I can adhere to that will keep carbon buildup away.  I've heard that Slip2000 (sp?) and MPro 7 make great carbon solvents.  Can anybody who uses those products pipe in and let me know how you like them for carbon?  Is there anything else out there that is cheap that works?  I use Ed's Red for my main solvent soaking solution, but aparently it's not tough enough to cut thru this stuff...

My goal is to get the carbon off down to the base metal, and then "start over" as they say by soaking the parts after each shooting, so they dont get to the point that they are at the moment....need it for .22LR and .223 and 9mm suppressors as well as the M-16 bolt and other components subject to buildup...

any inputs are always appreciated...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, as I understand it, carbon is pretty much chemically inert and cannot be dissolved per se (at least under normal circumstances).

Kroil penetrating oil has a good reputation for loosening carbon and might be worth a try.  I find it does as good as anything else I know of, but you still have to scrub!  Brownells sells it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
MP7 *sucks* at disolving carbon.

Ed's Red works great for me!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:26:08 AM EDT
[#3]
    When I get a lot of carbon inside the bolt carrier, I soak it with Break Free CLP for a few minutes while I'm cleaning something else.  When I come back to the carrier, I can get the carbon out with a Q tip, very little effort.  It works for me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
You should checkout and try the Slip 2000 product line 725 Cleaner/Degreaser is great on light duty, but their Carbon Cutter cuts carbon like theres no tomorrow. You can e-mail [email protected], and tell them what your using it for and they will send you a free sample to try out. There Slip 2000 Gun Lube is one of the best CLPs out there. Again, they send out samples to try. They sell there 3.5 gallon parts washers to Law Enforcement types for $85.00 and that includes there concentrate cleaner that makes 4 gallons of cleaner for the parts washer. Stuff works great. www.slip2000.com
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Would Oven-Off work ???
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#6]
oven cleaner will remove anodizing from aluminum (IOW it would strip the finish from your recievers) and it's nasty if you get it on your skin.

ATF or Ed's Red will beat CLP at carbon removal too.

there are some automotive cleaners for removcing carbon that some have reported good resuults with, and lanolin based, "goop" type hand cleaner WITHOUT pumice will soften it up very nicely it you smear it on and leave it overnight... good for the tail or bolts, etc.

oven cleaner dows work well for removing cosmoline fron surplus rifle stocks... WOOD rifle stocks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:28:52 AM EDT
[#7]
GM's "Top-End Cleaner" available at your nearest GM parts counter. Its used to clean coked up intake systems but works great in guns. And its cheap too... about $5/qt.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top