Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/20/2003 1:56:58 PM EDT
I'm looking to assemble an entire cleaning kit for my ar15.  The kit would include everything needed to have my baby as clean as it was before shooting.

What products does everyone recommend and what online sellers should I purchase from?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Dewy or Bore Tech plastic or nylon coated cleaning rod for .223 of the appropriate length.  Maybe 2.  One for a brush.  One for patches.

I use plastic case cleaning brushes but they do make plastic bore brushes.  These won't be eaten up by copper dissoling solvents and/or weaken your solvent.

I like the pierce type patch jags.

Shooters Choice or Hoppes No. 9 solvent.

Some CRC contact cleaner.  It's that stuff that kind of acts like corbon tetracloride but it's different.  Some people here recommend brake cleaner.  This is to flush everthing out.  Be careful withit's use unless you want to completely dissasemble every thing, like down to a stripped bolt to re-lube it.

A can of compressed air.

I bought a bottle brush from Wal-Fart for the chamber.

Patches, rags, paper towels etc.

Remington oil or simular.  CLP.  Grease (I always put a thin bead of grese on the carrier rails and inside the cam pin slot.  I think it provides better lubricity for these areas.  Keep it out of the sand though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Typical suggestion:
http://www.mohighpower.com/Cleaning.htm
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:25:21 AM EDT
[#3]
As far as cleaning goes, it’s different strokes for different folks!!  [:D]

I’d suggest the following basic equipment:

1)  Dewey or Bore Tech one piece, plastic covered, steel cleaning rod, preferably with female 8X32 threads.  Make sure the rod is long enough to clear the barrel, upper receiver, and (if you plan on using one) the rod guide (or bore guide – same thing).

Note that it’s best to make sure your brushes and tips are the same thread as your rod.  Civilian thread is 8X32, military thread is 8X36.  If you wind up with a mix, you’ll need an appropriate adapter.  Also pay attention to the sex of the thread or, again, you’ll need an adapter.

2)  Bronze bristle bore brushes with 8X32 male threads.  These are for scrubbing carbon out of the bore.  You can also use it to apply a copper dissolving type bore cleaner if you’re willing to immediately clean it (the copper cleaner will also attack the brush).  Otherwise either use patches or get a nylon bristle bore brush for the copper cleaner.  

Note that the better bore brushes have brass shanks (the twisted wire part holding the bristles) and couplings (the part that screws into the rod).  Cheaper bore brushes have steel shanks and couplings that conceivably could damage a bore.

3)  A brass slotted tip or a jag for patches - with 8X32 male threads.

4)  Obviously - plenty of .22 patches, preferably double napped cotton.  Also larger patches for use as cleaning pads.  I prefer single napped or unnapped cotton shotgun patches for this.

5)  A Dewey rod (or bore) guide – desirable but not absolutely essential.

6)  An AR-15 chamber brush (again, 8X32 threads) and a Dewey Brass Chamber Rod to put it on.   Note that “M16” labeled chamber brushes usually have military 8X36 threads.

6)  A nylon M16 toothbrush like the military uses (has two rows of plastic bristles on one end and a single row on the other end) for scrubbing parts.

7)  Cotton swabs and pipe cleaners for getting into nooks and crannies.  However, do [b]not[/b] stick a pipe cleaner, or anything else, in your gas tube!

8)  A black or dark colored rag for wiping down the outside of the AR.  (A light colored rag will work but will leave visible lint all over the gun.)

9)  Breakfree CLP or similar product.

10)  Shooter’s Choice Bore Cleaner or similar product to remove both carbon and copper.  

Note that a lot of folks here just plain don’t worry about copper or carbon in the bore.  While its presence will probably degrade accuracy a bit, it’s also self-limiting.  Your call!

11)  An empty .223 case to test and/or lubricate your ejector.  A fired case is fine.  (However, never try to cycle it through your AR – it may get stuck in the chamber.)

12)  Some folks like to use the mouth of an empty .30 caliber case (.308, 7.62X39, etc.) to clean carbon off the tail end of the bolt.  You’ll notice the case mouth and the curve of the bolt tail match very closely.

13)  Eye protection.  Granted an AR doesn’t have much in the way of spring launched parts that can poke an eye out!  Still, when cleaning any firearm, wearing eye protection is a good idea.

14)  While it shouldn’t be used for regular cleaning, a steel segmented rod kit is handy for emergencies.  Put it either in the AR buttstock or your range bag.

There’s bunches of other AR cleaning stuff you can get – these are just the basics.  Also remember that everyone has their own views on cleaning an AR, the above are mine!  

In particular, some folks here prefer Butler Creek’s Boresnake or an Otis Kit and Caboodle Gun Cleaning Kit instead of the steel rod and related items listed above.  

Hope this helps!  Good luck!  
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#4]
[url=http://www.answerrifles.com/spooge.htm]SPOOGE!!!![/url]

Also, I use a nylon coated Dewey Rod & spear tip jag.  I personally don't like the looped end kind.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Otis Cleaning Kit for AR-15
Firepower FP-10 CLP
Soft bristle toothbrush
Q-tips
Lint free black sock
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top