Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2003 8:31:06 PM EDT
I have been using South African .223.  Starting with a clean weapon, I start having double feeds (failure to extract/eject and second round jammed underneath) after about 120-200 rounds.  Last session, same results.  Conducted a field expedient cleaning (WD-40 and cleaning brush) to remove a build up of residue around the gas tube.  Worked fine after that.  Is SA ammo "dirty" or is it SOP to have to clean after 200 rounds or so?  BTW: this weapon is a Model-1 Sales 20" ES2 kit modified into a 16" dissipator on a Colt lower (the Smith opened up the gas port under the front sight to compensate for any gas loss due to barrel shortening).          
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I've fired up to 750 rounds of SA in one day through the same weapon w/o cleaning and never had that problem.  Your gas port might be a bit too small.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top