Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2002 7:58:22 PM EDT
I purchased an Accu Wedge to install in my new Bushmaster, not so much to tighten it but to keep it tight from the start.  Problem is I cannot get the upper and lower to mate such that I can install the rear pin.  Is this normal or do I need to let my Dissipator "break-in" before installation?

GM
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I had to sand mine down just a tad.It was a very tight fit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks 'Fish.  I started down that road and then decided to get a second opinion.  I will finish the job in the morning.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Nitro,

Can you give me your thoughts on the accuwedge? Has it made a noticeable difference in accuracy or does it just give the AR a more solid feel?
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#4]
GAMyers,

I put an accuwedge in my new Bushmaster, and it required no fitting or shaving at all.  Are you sure you have it seated correctly?  You will have to push down on the upper receiver and compress the wedge a bit to install the rear pin, but it shouldn't require too much force.

theta,

I really doubt if the accuwedge will make all that much difference in accuracy.  I just like it because it gets rid of that wobble noise between the upper and lower.  It's worth the $2 I paid for it.

Ookster
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Ookster,

I placed the Wedge as far down and as far back as I could (high side toward the back of the receiver).  I then clasped both hands around the upper and lower receivers and squeezed as hard as I could and could not get the rear pin pushed back through.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but the Wedge is VERY stiff.  I imagined something a bit softer but otherwise had no clue what to really expect.  I bought some spares so I will play around a little and see what I can come up with.  Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Dude, put your front pin in, install accuwedge, close upper and lower receivers, push down on the rear of the rear sight and push pin in.

It will take some pressure at first to get the rear pin in.

Link Posted: 11/29/2002 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#7]
MillerSHO,

I never had the front pin out during this process.

I just now removed about 1/32nd of material off of the bottom of the Wedge and assembled the rifle.  Even then I had to place the flattop on my bench top so I could evenly apply pressure to the lower receiver and slide the Rear pin home.  It is definitely tight now!
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like you bought a knock-off,
my upper and lower were tight to start with, (Oly ultra-Match) and I have to squeeze it to put the pin in, but the wedge is of a medimum soft material.

Take care, Lance
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I also had to sand off about 1/32" to get the Accu Wedge to fit in my Bushmaster, it is still a very tight interference fit; must be differences in tolerences.

Bill
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Rancid,

I hope that Bushmaster is not selling knock-offs as that is where I bought it!

I looks like a few others have had to smith their Accu-Wedge so I guess I am doing OK and not a crowd of one!  Thanks all!
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
GAMyers,

theta,

I really doubt if the accuwedge will make all that much difference in accuracy.  I just like it because it gets rid of that wobble noise between the upper and lower.  It's worth the $2 I paid for it.

Ookster
View Quote

I was going to pick one up at Cheaper than Dirt for $2 but they charge $4 for shipping (and I didn't need anything else). Crazy?

Link Posted: 11/30/2002 4:18:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Gamyers, maybe I am the one that has a knock-off, next time you are at a gun show see if you can find one made out of softer rubber, it would be interesting to know how many of them are knock-offs, at 2 to 5 dollars for a 10 cent piece of rubber!

Rancid Lance

Link Posted: 11/30/2002 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Rancid,

I beleive we have a Gun Show coming up next weekend.  I will look around and see what is out there.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#14]
"I hope that Bushmaster is not selling knock-offs as that is where I bought it!"

I bought my AccuWedge at Bushmaster too.  It fits just fine.  In my Bushmaster rifle, it takes just one hand to close the upper and lower receivers while pushing the lockpin closed.  My wedge is a soft red vinyl material.  It seems to have just the right amount of "give" to it.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top