Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/14/2002 6:17:12 AM EDT
Can someone comment on the feasibility of using a boresnake for cleaning between shots while breaking in a new Stainless barrel?

Should I swab it with a solvent soaked patch before pulling the boresnake through?

Any suggestions on soak time?
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 6:29:56 AM EDT
[#1]
the idea behind break in is to keep the barrel clean so that each bullet will smooth the rough spots.  when carbon from consecutive shots builds up it impedes this process.

the bore snake does really clean the barrel.
I soak my snake (hehe) in #9 up to the brass bristles before I make my pass and I do one pass between shots for the first 20 and then one pass per three shots for the next 30.  

I think it does work and will not nick or ding any part of the barrel like a rod so accuracy is not adversly affected.

I don't think it wears out the barrel as bad as repeated "scouring"  with a brass brush and i know I am splitting a hair.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#2]
My thought exactly.

Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I love my bore snake. I put CLP on it from the bristles to about the half way point then leave the rest dry to dry mop out the bore.
SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's a recent thread that may add some more insight:

[url=]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=143809[/url]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top