Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/11/2002 10:43:59 AM EDT
Hi. Found this through Google and was wondering if anyone here has mixed some up and tried it? If so, was it worth the trouble of getting all of the fluids? I'm contemplating mixing some up, only snag is that Varsol is a little hard to come by around here. Also, this stuff doesn't seem to be very friendly to the user.
Solvent doesn't last long around here with the .50 BMG, the rest of my guns and all the guns I clean for friends. I can make a gallon of this stuff for around $10.00. Whatya think?
www.9mmlargo.com/eds_red.htm
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I mixed some up about a week ago, but haven't had time to try it out yet. Hopefully it will work good. It sure is alot cheaper than the gun specific products.

Holeshot4
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I mixed some up about a week ago, but haven't had time to try it out yet. Hopefully it will work good. It sure is alot cheaper than the gun specific products.

Holeshot4

Please post with your results if/when you get to try it. Thanks.
MM419
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holeshot4

Please post with your results if/when you get to try it. Thanks.
MM419

Will do!

Holeshot4
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used it for about 6 years now....I'm on my 3rd gallon...It's also good for cleaning after using corrosive ammo...I get my lanolin from Walmart pharmacy...the 1 lb jar is cheaper than I've found it anywhere else...
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:50:10 AM EDT
[#5]
been using it for about a year now.  like it so far, as it works good for those filthy full auto M-16's and suppressors.  have to use it outside though, and built an outside workbench just for the whole process.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I just mixed mine up, 16 ounces to start and still buzzing from something. WOW! I decided to leave out the Lanolin for now and try it like it is. I finally got the Varsol at an Exxon Dealer in Lynchburg, they had it in bulk $3.40 a gallon. I need to do like Burnsome- did and make a place to use it outside. Got to go dirty up a gun now so I can clean it. Which one???????????
Later...
MM419
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 1:47:44 AM EDT
[#7]
yeah, i'd say its an "outside" activity when using Ed's Red for sure - at least in my neck of the woods.  i bought one of those plastic upright utility cabinets, which houses my parts bin cleaner full of, of course, Ed's....actually, i mixed up a 5 gallon container of the stuff because i use a lot of it, and its cheaper to make that way for me.

when i return from the range and break down the AR's/M-16's, i throw the bolt and carrier and charging handle in the parts cleaner.  the barrel assy and lower assy get sprayed down with reds and drain on the outside workbench.  i run the chamber brush and an upper receiver cleaning brush thru the gun, then spray again and let hang for a bit.  wipe everything down with rags, and then blow out the last bit with compressed air.  Ed's seems to dry out after a few hours, and leaves somewhat of a semi protective oil finish on the gun.  it works for me....if the gun is extremely dirty, such as happens when doing a lot of suppressed shooting activities, i let the bolt and carrier soak overnight.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Put 25 rounds through my S&W 1006 10MM AUTO this afternoon and ran a well soaked patch through the bore. Ed's really took the stuff out of there. I loaded a hypodermic syringe with it and saturated a patch almost fully and swabbed away. It didn't stink my gun room up the way I guessed it would have. Ran dry patchs through and the bore looks like glass. Will try on a rifle this weekend. Burnsome, did you use Lanolin? Just curious. I may mix another small batch just to try the Lanolin and have some other to clean and protect the guns I have in storage. This is allot better that the $16 I paid for a pint of Butches Bore Shine. I only wish the basic mix would work on copper too. Oh well, thanks guys.
MM419
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Glad to hear it worked well for you. Deer season starts this weekend. So, hopefully, I will be dirtying up a gun. I'm also glad to hear it didn't smell your place up too bad. I had mixed mine up outside and didn't give the odor much thought.

Holeshot4
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 1:32:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Minuteman - actually i did not use the lanolin in the mixture of the last 5 gallon batch i made up.  just used the 4 basic ingredients in the recipe.  one more note - i've found it cleans better when the gun is still a bit warm from shooting.  

keep us updated on how it works for you...
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I've used my own version of Ed's Red for about 4 years now.  My version is equal parts Amsoil universal transmission fluid and Kroil penetrating fluid.

The only other cleaning products I use are 7.62 Sweet's for copper fouling and JB compound, which I rarely use.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Merlin
(temporarily located Shemya Island, AK)
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Shot about a dozen through the new RRA M-4 Heavy I put on my CAR and couldn't wait any longer. Two wet patches followed by two dry patches pulled all of the powder fouling out. So far it seems as good as anything commercially that I have tried just cheaper.
Still waiting to try it on the AR-50.

Merlin, your recipe sounds like a winner also Kroil is supposed to really cut carbon. I might try some Kroil in a mixture like you did, thanks.

MM419
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top