AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our staff and I get to occasionally inspect and consult on blown up and problematic firearms, and we document what we find.  I am hoping you can shed a little light on your rifle.  You state that you clean it approximately every 500rds, can you explain what you clean with and what your cleaning procedure was?
View Quote
I mean I generally follow the Brownell's cleaning videos that are available. It's how I learned years ago when I got my first AR. I do that occasionally with light lube if it starts getting dry between range sessions.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:50:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Our staff and I get to occasionally inspect and consult on blown up and problematic firearms, and we document what we find.  I am hoping you can shed a little light on your rifle.  You state that you clean it approximately every 500rds, can you explain what you clean with and what your cleaning procedure was?

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote
With all due respect, if this were the proximate result of a cleaning issue (or lack thereof), we’d see KB’d rifles every day of the week. I’m not saying a rifle’s condition is something that should be ignored. Yet given what’s been shared here, and what we know of similar issues with this same brand of ammo, focusing on OP’s rifle seems...questionable.

We’re dealing with a rifle that’s got ~1700 or so rounds through it. No previous issues. And cleaned about 200 rounds ago. So I’m just not seeing how the rifle or cleaning regimen is worth digging into much further. Unless OP left a chamber brush in there, and then managed to sneak a couple rounds past it before the obstruction caused an issue.

Again, if the OP did something wrong by letting his rifle go without cleaning for 200, 500, or even 1000 rounds, we all need to invest in a different platform. How can anyone go take a class or shoot a competition with a rifle that becomes a powder keg after a few 100 rounds are sent downrange. How can we explain and champion the “Filthy 14”. Or the Lucky Gunner test where they took 4 different rifles and ran 10,000 rounds through each in an afternoon; with almost no lube and even less cleaning. Or the meltdowns and torture tests conducted by YT creators like IV8888, AKOU, etc.

If we want to go down the over lubed (or improperly lubed) route, that’s also not a very fruitful focus. For every one example of under lubrication/cleaning, or none of either at all, there’s an example of someone over lubing. Yes, improper lubrication and cleaning can cause some failures. But we’re taking non-catastrophic failures. Not KBs. Again, if the AR platform were that volatile, we’d have abandoned it long ago.

While I’m aware of the inference that lube in the barrel or chamber can cause pressure spikes that result in catastrophic failure, reality indicates that it’s tremendously overstated. Right up there with things like the need to stagger gas rings, or the idea that a carbine with an non-F marked FSB is basically worthless.

Do we really think that OP is the exception to the average AR owner when it comes to cleaning? So extreme an outlier in his lubrication method, that it’s reasonable to believe it caused the KB? Because when you can do this to an AR, and not even encounter a minor failure, it’s hard to chase the “OP didn’t lube it right” angle.

What I’m getting at is, if it’s a city in France, it’s probably Paris. There is a strong indication that something is seriously wrong with the Frontier line of ammo. Maybe not all, but we can cite multiple KBs and other overpressure events that are all traced back to this one line of ammo. Different lots. Different rifles.

So, for most of us, I’d bet the following are far more common questions in our minds...

Are certain rounds overcharged?
Could there issues with a bad batch of brass?
Is it potentially a primer related problem?

I’m sure there are more questions I could pose. Regardless, they all go back to one thing...the ammo.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 4:39:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 5:01:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Still not weeding out ammo itself as the problem (over charge or weak case), but have seen too many times operator error to cause a KB, and someone posting in a round about way trying to blame a given ammo type for an operator mistake isntead.

As stated, Hornady will need to inspect the rig to weed out if there was a barrel obstruction or ammo that caused the problem, and if it found to be the ammo that caused the problem, all ammo manufacturers carry insurance for just such events.

Hell, pretty sure that every major ammo manufacturer has had an ammo recall more than a few times that has caused a Rig to KB, and if the ammo is at fault, then bank that it will be recalls on the ammo as well.
View Quote
Can someone explain to me how one self induced a kaboom with “operator error”

I mean isn’t my only job to not shove rocks in the chamber and pull the trigger?  Is there a self destruct lever that looks like a trigger?

And seriously - now we are also blaming cleaning for rifle explosions?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
With all due respect, if this were the proximate result of a cleaning issue (or lack thereof), we’d see KB’d rifles every day of the week. I’m not saying a rifle’s condition is something that should be ignored. Yet given what’s been shared here, and what we know of similar issues with this same brand of ammo, focusing on OP’s rifle seems...questionable.

I’m sure there are more questions I could pose. Regardless, they all go back to one thing...the ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123

I can't count how many times I've read people advocating pouring Mobil 1 into their upper ("Run it wet!")  Where are all the kabooms?
I agree with you.  This sounds like a clear case of ammo failure.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote
Do you work for Hornady or have you been contacted by them to investigate their ammo failures? IMO, your post sounds like something an investigator would ask to get the OP to back himself into a corner so Hornady could then say "see he didnt clean his rifle correctly so it's no our fault".
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:27:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:41:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you read on page one, you will see that I posted the following:

There are many reasons that a rifle can blow up, a detailed and thorough inspection will need to be done to figure out why.  You will see that I haven't concluded or made any statement that the ammunition is or isn't at fault in this particular situation.  You will also see that I haven't made any statement as to anything that the shooter did or didn't do to cause the rifle to blow up.  What I did was ask a few questions, that the answers might help point into where to look for possible signs of what the cause or causes are.

Other posters here have already concluded the ammunition is at fault.  To conclude that the ammunition is the exact cause of why this happened, may be premature, as I am not aware of anyone in this thread who stated that the ammunition was at fault saying that they have done a thorough gauging and inspection of the rifle, ammunition, and empty shell casings.  The cause of the rifle blowing up may be due to the ammunition, and it may not be the ammunition, or it could be a combination of things.

IMHO of how to figure out what happened, a detailed inspection of the rifle, ammunition, and empty shell casings will need to be done.  After a thorough inspection of everything, most times you can come up with physical evidence of what happened and why.

The ammunition should be inspected on both the live rounds, and empty fired shell casings.  The live ammunition needs to be examined for many things like bullet weight, bullet shape, bullet set back, crimp, powder type, powder weight, powder consistency, should be pressure tested, internal case dimensions, etc.  Fired shell casings also need to be thoroughly inspected for signs of over pressure, weak casings, stressed casings, bad primer pockets, stretched casings, deformed casings, internal dimensions, deformities, etc.

A thorough gauging and inspection of the rifle should also be done.  The bolt should be measured to make sure it is within proper dimensions, as I have seen similar blow outs where the bolt faces internal circumference was too large and didn't support the casing. The tail of the bolt and internal gas chamber area of the bolt carrier should also be gauged to make sure they are in proper spec dimension, and don't have a large fouling build up that would cause the bolt carrier assembly to unlock too early.  Headspace should be gauged for minimum and maximum, as too short or too long you can cause things to blow up.  I would also do a chamber cast, as we have seen several blown up rifles that checked correct for proper headspace, but the chamber cast showed that the chamber was offset to the bore, most likely caused by someone using a reamer with no pilot, and in the case with 5 blown up rifles we have seen after the shooters had put several thousands of rounds down each barrel with the only issue being some blown primers, and eventually they blew things up.  A chamber cast may also show that the chamber has no free bore, see this quite often.

The barrel should be inspected thoroughly inside and out.  Put it on a gauging table and run a depth gauge down it, and it may show a slight deformity that cannot always be visually seen where a live round was shot behind a squib or other barrel obstruction, seen several of these.  Run a bore camera or borescope down the barrel may might show bad machining of the chamber, free bore, of any type of deformity where a live round was shot behind a squib or other barrel obstruction.  A bore scope or camera run down the barrel may also show where a bullet may have had jacket separation which we see occasionally on frangible and plated ammunition.  A borescope or camera close up look at the chamber and free bore, may show maintenance issues, where there is a build up of fouling that caused or attributed to the over pressure.  We have seen several hundred blown up AR15 / M16 type rifles, and one of the common things we see is a heavy fouling build up at the end of the chamber and free bore area. This build up is kind of like the fouling that is on the tail of the bolt, but it has a a glass like appearance and is very hard, my guess is from people not cleaning or thoroughly cleaning a chamber or possibly not getting the dirty solvent out.  I am a big fan of using a chamber brush, and a bore brush, and not a fan of a boresnake or other pull through cleaning systems that don't do a good job of cleaning a chamber.  We also see a build up inside the chamber and/or bore when people use solvents that get gummy or varnish things up when it isn't thoroughly removed, hence why I am not a fan of using banana oil based solvents in the AR15 / M16 type rifles.  Lube and/or solvent in the chamber and bore and cause pressure issues (usually extraction issues), and in a rare situation can result in damage or firearms blowing up.  The gas port should be gauges to see what is is and where it fits into the specs.  A barrel should also be checked for straightness, as a bent or warped barrel can cause pressure issues.

Other things that should be inspected is the rifle for any signs of the rifle unlocking too early or violently.  The receivers should be gauged to check to see if things are in proper spec.  Hammer & trigger pin holes can be gauged to show if they are in spec, and will often show signs of the rifle unlocking too quickly or violently.  The receivers should also be inspected to make sure they are machined properly, and not off set out out of proper alignment.  The buffering system should also be inspected to see if they are within spec, and show any signs of stress or the action cycling too quickly or violently.  I have seen rifles that people have built that had no clue what they were doing, and had them unlocking too early and blew them up.  I have seen rifles that people suppressed, didn't realize that adding a suppressor can change the timing cycle, and blew them up.  I have also see 3 blown up rifles from the same LE Agency, that their in house Armorer (trained by another company) built using piston conversions, that were unlocking too early.  And one of the more common causes of blown up guns in the last couple of years that we have seen is when someone puts a 300-Blackout in a 5.56 chamber.

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote
How does the bolt circumference have anything to do with supporting the case? The top portion of the bolt is angled in and none of the case is inside the bolt other than the recessed area of the case where the extractor catches the case. I can see how it helps hold it in the extractor groove but not much else.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#12]
gotta be the ammo
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like someone who is an unbiased third party who knows how to conduct unbiased research to me.  Thank you for sharing your method Sully.

Quoted:

If you read on page one, you will see that I posted the following:

There are many reasons that a rifle can blow up, a detailed and thorough inspection will need to be done to figure out why.  You will see that I haven't concluded or made any statement that the ammunition is or isn't at fault in this particular situation.  You will also see that I haven't made any statement as to anything that the shooter did or didn't do to cause the rifle to blow up.  What I did was ask a few questions, that the answers might help point into where to look for possible signs of what the cause or causes are.

Other posters here have already concluded the ammunition is at fault.  To conclude that the ammunition is the exact cause of why this happened, may be premature, as I am not aware of anyone in this thread who stated that the ammunition was at fault saying that they have done a thorough gauging and inspection of the rifle, ammunition, and empty shell casings.  The cause of the rifle blowing up may be due to the ammunition, and it may not be the ammunition, or it could be a combination of things.

IMHO of how to figure out what happened, a detailed inspection of the rifle, ammunition, and empty shell casings will need to be done.  After a thorough inspection of everything, most times you can come up with physical evidence of what happened and why.

The ammunition should be inspected on both the live rounds, and empty fired shell casings.  The live ammunition needs to be examined for many things like bullet weight, bullet shape, bullet set back, crimp, powder type, powder weight, powder consistency, should be pressure tested, internal case dimensions, etc.  Fired shell casings also need to be thoroughly inspected for signs of over pressure, weak casings, stressed casings, bad primer pockets, stretched casings, deformed casings, internal dimensions, deformities, etc.

A thorough gauging and inspection of the rifle should also be done.  The bolt should be measured to make sure it is within proper dimensions, as I have seen similar blow outs where the bolt faces internal circumference was too large and didn't support the casing.  The tail of the bolt and internal gas chamber area of the bolt carrier should also be gauged to make sure they are in proper spec dimension, and don't have a large fouling build up that would cause the bolt carrier assembly to unlock too early.  Headspace should be gauged for minimum and maximum, as too short or too long you can cause things to blow up.  I would also do a chamber cast, as we have seen several blown up rifles that checked correct for proper headspace, but the chamber cast showed that the chamber was offset to the bore, most likely caused by someone using a reamer with no pilot, and in the case with 5 blown up rifles we have seen after the shooters had put several thousands of rounds down each barrel with the only issue being some blown primers, and eventually they blew things up.  A chamber cast may also show that the chamber has no free bore, see this quite often.

The barrel should be inspected thoroughly inside and out.  Put it on a gauging table and run a depth gauge down it, and it may show a slight deformity that cannot always be visually seen where a live round was shot behind a squib or other barrel obstruction, seen several of these.  Run a bore camera or borescope down the barrel may might show bad machining of the chamber, free bore, of any type of deformity where a live round was shot behind a squib or other barrel obstruction.  A bore scope or camera run down the barrel may also show where a bullet may have had jacket separation which we see occasionally on frangible and plated ammunition.  A borescope or camera close up look at the chamber and free bore, may show maintenance issues, where there is a build up of fouling that caused or attributed to the over pressure.  We have seen several hundred blown up AR15 / M16 type rifles, and one of the common things we see is a heavy fouling build up at the end of the chamber and free bore area. This build up is kind of like the fouling that is on the tail of the bolt, but it has a a glass like appearance and is very hard, my guess is from people not cleaning or thoroughly cleaning a chamber or possibly not getting the dirty solvent out.  I am a big fan of using a chamber brush, and a bore brush, and not a fan of a boresnake or other pull through cleaning systems that don't do a good job of cleaning a chamber.  We also see a build up inside the chamber and/or bore when people use solvents that get gummy or varnish things up when it isn't thoroughly removed, hence why I am not a fan of using banana oil based solvents in the AR15 / M16 type rifles.  Lube and/or solvent in the chamber and bore and cause pressure issues (usually extraction issues), and in a rare situation can result in damage or firearms blowing up.  The gas port should be gauges to see what is is and where it fits into the specs.  A barrel should also be checked for straightness, as a bent or warped barrel can cause pressure issues.

Other things that should be inspected is the rifle for any signs of the rifle unlocking too early or violently.  The receivers should be gauged to check to see if things are in proper spec.  Hammer & trigger pin holes can be gauged to show if they are in spec, and will often show signs of the rifle unlocking too quickly or violently.  The receivers should also be inspected to make sure they are machined properly, and not off set out out of proper alignment.  The buffering system should also be inspected to see if they are within spec, and show any signs of stress or the action cycling too quickly or violently.  I have seen rifles that people have built that had no clue what they were doing, and had them unlocking too early and blew them up.  I have seen rifles that people suppressed, didn't realize that adding a suppressor can change the timing cycle, and blew them up.  I have also see 3 blown up rifles from the same LE Agency, that their in house Armorer (trained by another company) built using piston conversions, that were unlocking too early.  And one of the more common causes of blown up guns in the last couple of years that we have seen is when someone puts a 300-Blackout in a 5.56 chamber.

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sounds like someone who is an unbiased third party who knows how to conduct unbiased research to me.  Thank you for sharing your method Sully.
View Quote
Sully has always been good to go. I’m surprised he was questioned as active as he is in Troubleshooting.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Only reading this thread form a point of interest and no dog in the fight. I see no bias in Scully's input what so ever. Appears to be very analytical and without tunnel vision. I like it. Based on this thread only, I would likely search out someone like him to troubleshoot. Speaking of, Scully, I have this little issue that ............
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#16]
OP here. Sent the upper and ammo off to Hornady to be inspected... The wait begins.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I get that Swirl pattern from Blazer brass 115gr 9mm ammunition. Always happens at like 5 yards.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP here. Sent the upper and ammo off to Hornady to be inspected... The wait begins.
View Quote
Re-tag
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 1:28:16 AM EDT
[#19]
looks like hornady frontier is competing with freedom munitions to cause the most kabooms.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#20]
@Victor223

OP what happened to the lower to scrap it.  Usually the upper is toast and I don't see any damage to the lower?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I understand the thinking that excess oil in the bore could jack the pressure up across the line and blow out a case but logic tells me that would be in the first shot or two fired . I believe in this case the OP states the problem shot was something like #10 in the string and the primers were looking ok in the first bunch of shots.

This seems again to indicate faulty ammo to me but I don't claim any special expertise
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:06:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I suspect that this failure was caused by bolt bounce.

Here is what I see.

1. Pictures two and three show significant brass galling on the deflector plate. This would indicate that you were dangerously over gassed.  I can also see brass on the rear of the receiver ejector port.

2. The bottom of the cartridge exploded. I have seen a lot of cracked cartridges, but never one that exploded like this. Under normal conditions, a locked bolt should be able to contain the force of a hot round.

3. I don't see any damage to the bolt or lugs. Usually with a hot round (or squib round), the lugs would have sheared off.

4. You are firing a carbine length gas system with at least a thousand rounds through it. I suspect that you will find that you have some gas port erosion.

If you are cycling your bolt fast and hard, it will come into battery fast and hard. Remember, the buffer is a conservation of momentum device. What can happen is that your bolt carrier can bounce, and decam the bolt out of it's locked position. The firing pin is not spring loaded on the AR, if it has enough inertia a bolt bounce can drive the pin into the primer without a hammer strike. Armolite had to redesign the firing pin to prevent this condition, but it can still occur.

I recommend that you have your rifle inspected by a qualified gunsmith. Your bolt should be inspected for damage, and your gas port for erosion. You should have your head space checked as well. A heavier buffer and adjustable gas block can mitigate bolt bounce.  Your cartridges should be ejecting at 3 o'clock.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Firing pin cannot strike primer with bolt out of battery
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Firing pin cannot strike primer with bolt out of battery
View Quote
People seem to struggle with this fact.  Most of what was said above is wrong.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Try installing your BCC without a cam pin and let me know how that works out. Ok, don't try that unless you want to blow up your weapon. It does happen, especially if you haven't slept in two days and spend all night breathing brake cleaner fumes.

After reading the OP again, I suspect that his cam pin sheared off, which caused the bolt to fail to rotate and lock. Running over gassed will eventually wreck your BCC.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Try installing your BCC without a cam pin and let me know how that works out. Ok, don't try that unless you want to blow up your weapon. It does happen, especially if you haven't slept in two days and spend all night breathing brake cleaner fumes.

After reading the OP again, I suspect that his cam pin sheared off, which caused the bolt to fail to rotate and lock. Running over gassed will eventually wreck your BCC.
View Quote
No.

The bolt was CLEARLY locked when this event happened.

This is classic case failure due to overpressure, and only can happen when locked.  The case fails in the weakest supported area - the extractor.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
No.

I think you need to read a little more, for now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Donky,

The BCC may have been fully forward (in battery), but that does not guarantee that the cam pin actually rotated (and locked) the bolt into the barrel lugs. I am speculating here, obviously. But, if a previous shot cracked the bolt cam pin, then this could explain the failure.

I could not see much of the bolt head in the pictures. The extractor lug looked worn, but I didn't see any damage to the bolt head. Did I miss something?

I do see that the BCC shattered, that would suggest that the bolt retracted with a huge amount of force.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#29]
If the bolt has not rotated and locked, then by definition it is not in battery.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Donky,

The BCC may have been fully forward (in battery), but that does not guarantee that the cam pin actually rotated (and locked) the bolt into the barrel lugs. I am speculating here, obviously. But, if a previous shot cracked the bolt cam pin, then this could explain the failure.

I could not see much of the bolt head in the pictures. The extractor lug looked worn, but I didn't see any damage to the bolt head. Did I miss something?

I do see that the BCC shattered, that would suggest that the bolt retracted with a huge amount of force.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Donky,

Who are you blind carbon copying?
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is classic case failure
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yes

due to overpressure,
Or a defective case.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes

Or a defective case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes

due to overpressure,
Or a defective case.
Yes, my bad.... On page 1 my comment was "It is either overpressure, or bad brass, or both."
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I would be somewhat reluctant to give any more information to anyone other than an attorney.  If OP details how he cares for his rifle, ammo, or any other information, that might be giving someone who intends to blame him for the blown up rifle some material to use against him.

I would be very cautious about giving out information, and would do far more asking questions than answering them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Unburnt powder hitting the target at 25yds??? That’s odd!

I would only assume that one never made it out of the barrel, and the next shot kaboomed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#35]
As a third party...

Either OP pulled the trigger with a squib in the barrel or the ammo was too hot/weak case. Hell, could've been all 3.

Sully, you're a wealth of knowledge and I love your input. I don't think you'd find anhthing wrong with OP's rifle.

If half this stuff was a serious issue, the military would have KBs by the hundreds every day. Marines don't know what a damn chamber brush is, they have clp pouring into their bores, it's bad.

To the guy that doesn't understand sully's mention of bolt head circumference... he means that the diameter of the bolt head, inside, where the case sits, is too large allowing the case to expand too much causing case failure. What's not to understand? The bolt head supports more than just the rim.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#36]
To the guy that doesn't understand sully's mention of bolt head circumference... he means that the diameter of the bolt head, inside, where the case sits, is too large allowing the case to expand too much causing case failure. What's not to understand? The bolt head supports more than just the rim.
View Quote
Not on any ar15 bolt I have seen. The cartridge case is rebated in that area of the bolt. Also there is an angle cut at the top inside edge of the bolt taking it away from the side of the cartridge. You can easily measure the depth of the bolt recess to the face and how high the rebated portion of the case is before it gets to the side wall. Maybe you can explain better to me how the side of the case is supported by something that does not seem to touch it  or even extend as high as where it begins?

There is also an unsupported area past the front of the bolt. There is room for the bolt to rotate and an angle cut on the entrance to the chamber.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Here is what I see.

1. Pictures two and three show significant brass galling on the deflector plate. This would indicate that you were dangerously over gassed.  I can also see brass on the rear of the receiver ejector port.
2. The bottom of the cartridge exploded. I have seen a lot of cracked cartridges, but never one that exploded like this. Under normal conditions, a locked bolt should be able to contain the force of a hot round.
3. I don't see any damage to the bolt or lugs. Usually with a hot round (or squib round), the lugs would have sheared off.
4. You are firing a carbine length gas system with at least a thousand rounds through it. I suspect that you will find that you have some gas port erosion.
View Quote
Alright guys, OP here, a few things:

1. This was on a mid-length gas system, and was not over-gassed at all. Cases had always ejected consistently at 4:00, regardless of ammo.

2. It was not a slamfire, as I said I was re-zeroing the weapon so ~5-10 seconds of careful aiming took place between shots. It happened after I pulled the trigger.

3. I see a lot of people saying my cam pin could have sheared off. It did not. After I broke the rifle down, it was one of the things I inspected. Unfortunately no pictures, but it was in relatively decent condition.

4. The only weird thing internally with the bolt was that the front half of the firing pin was bent downward which I'm betting is a result of the KB blowing out the bottom of the bolt, and the firing pin attempting to follow.

Hornady has been in contact with me, but they are claiming it was an OOB det which frankly I think is bull. Apart from the fact that it's almost mechanically impossible for an AR to fire OOB, my bolt also remained locked forward. If it had been an OOB, it would have violently cycled back into the buffer tube. Am I wrong on this?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  Hornady has been in contact with me, but they are claiming it was an OOB det which frankly I think is bull. Apart from the fact that it's almost mechanically impossible for an AR to fire OOB, my bolt also remained locked forward. If it had been an OOB, it would have violently cycled back into the buffer tube. Am I wrong on this?
View Quote
No.  Hornady is full of shit, which is rather disturbing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Hornady has been in contact with me, but they are claiming it was an OOB det which frankly I think is bull. Apart from the fact that it's almost mechanically impossible for an AR to fire OOB, my bolt also remained locked forward. If it had been an OOB, it would have violently cycled back into the buffer tube. Am I wrong on this?
That's upsetting.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#40]
+1 for Frontier ammo.  It's been giving lots of people problems.  I disagree with Hornady's OOB ignition claim.  I strongly believe it was overpressure/bad case/both.  It's what I thought when I saw the pix and description of things......and it's bolstered by folks here that know WAY more about the AR and this stuff than I.

It is disturbing that Hornady is opening themselves up for major problems by not recalling this stuff.  It's one thing to replace a few rifles and recall the ammo.  What happens when someone actually gets hurt.....that's going to sting a lot more than dealing with the bad batch.....not just in costs of the lawsuit, but the loss of trust and consequential loss of business.

I won't buy freedom anymore because of the problems they've been having....and I used to buy their stuff without worry (a while back).   Looks like I won't be buying Hornady loads now either......I like muh eyes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

1. This was on a mid-length gas system, and was not over-gassed at all. Cases had always ejected consistently at 4:00, regardless of ammo.

2. It was not a slamfire, as I said I was re-zeroing the weapon so ~5-10 seconds of careful aiming took place between shots. It happened after I pulled the trigger.

3. I see a lot of people saying my cam pin could have sheared off. It did not. After I broke the rifle down, it was one of the things I inspected. Unfortunately no pictures, but it was in relatively decent condition.

4. The only weird thing internally with the bolt was that the front half of the firing pin was bent downward which I'm betting is a result of the KB blowing out the bottom of the bolt, and the firing pin attempting to follow.

Hornady has been in contact with me, but they are claiming it was an OOB det which frankly I think is bull. Apart from the fact that it's almost mechanically impossible for an AR to fire OOB, my bolt also remained locked forward. If it had been an OOB, it would have violently cycled back into the buffer tube. Am I wrong on this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is what I see.

You are not wrong.  Those conditions are impossible for OOB, because the bolt was locked.  And clearly so.  You cannot have an out of battery ignition, when the bolt is in battery.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Op,

It was the ammo.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is what I see.

WOW...…….they are saying that??

Edited...…..let me just say I am VERY disappointed in Hornady for saying it was an "OOB detonation"...……….
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hornady is fos, aside from 6.5cm, I don’t shoot any of their ammo.

All of the .223 match ammo I’ve ever shot has been terrible.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Based upon the information and pictures provided by the original poster,  I would go with Occam's razor and say it was the ammo.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm sorry to hear that. No idea, but more importantly, glad you are safe and uninjured!
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Gonna bump this one...

OP - What did Hornady ultimately determine/do in their effort to resolve your issue?

Like many others, I’m disappointed and somewhat insulted by Hornady’s response(s). OOB detonations...every time...really? If that’s their belief, then why the hell are they replacing people’s rifles and taking returns on Frontier ammo? And, before someone says it, I’ll have a hard time buying the, “they’re just going above and beyond” position.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Gonna bump this one...

OP - What did Hornady ultimately determine/do in their effort to resolve your issue?

Like many others, I’m disappointed and somewhat insulted by Hornady’s response(s). OOB detonations...every time...really? If that’s their belief, then why the hell are they replacing people’s rifles and taking returns on Frontier ammo? And, before someone says it, I’ll have a hard time buying the, “they’re just going above and beyond” position.
View Quote
I won't buy Frontier. I've seem too many online complaints.
I'll pay a bit more for ammo I trust.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:17:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gonna bump this one...

Sadly folks like SG and PSA are still selling this stuff and it's not really a huge bargain and serves to do damage to their reputations at this point.  If I was a retailer I'd be telling Hornday to come get the stuff.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:43:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your brass is proof it was not out of battery.

They have the brass, or pictures of it, correct?
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top