Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2017 9:06:42 PM EDT
I have built quite a few AR's and this is my third 7.62 x 39. This one runs great after replacing the barrel that had a poopie chamber. It functioned fine for about 250 to 300 rounds and is surprisingly accurate.
The problem started today and does it with several different mags. I can chamber the top round in the mag with the charging handle and it fires properly and picks up the next round in the mag but fails to cock the hammer, it hasn't went full auto from hammer follow on yet which is what this sounds like. I can pull the charging handle back just enough to reset the trigger and it will fire fine but does the same thing again. Where to start looking first, hammer, trigger? What does the board experts say?

Steve.........
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I am sure you checked this, but is your hammer spring in the right way?  

if not that, look at the trigger, I would examine sear surfaces, and see if you can manually replicate the problem. 

what type of trigger, buffer spring, and buffer are you running?   

Also, what kind off ammo?  if el cheap euro stuff you may want to clean your gas system extra thoroughly....

mine builds up crap in the tube from wolf.....  although it typically just blows through and makes the BCG/lower a mess......    
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:15:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you getting enough gas to lock the bolt the mag when the last round is fired.
Sounds like the bolt is not traveling back far enough to cock the hammer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Hammer spring is installed correctly according to a couple of Factory rifles I have and all online references. Gas tube is clean and free of debris and residue. It is getting enough gas to lock open on an empty mag everytime.
The bolt only has to come back 1.508 to cock the hammer and it has to continue back to 2.206 to lock back on an empty mag on my rifle. Could the hammer be bouncing when it gets to it's full rotation and not getting caught on the sear/trigger? The engagement surfaces look fine to me with no chipping, galling or anything out of the ordinary. The lower parts kit is an Anderson kit so I'm not sure where the parts in it came from.

Steve..........
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Has your gas block moved at all or is there a lot of blow by around the tube or block?

What's puzzling is it ran fine for a while, now it won't. Are you using a rifle stock or carbine buffer and tube? Using an A2 stock screw in a CavArms or G.I. Vietnam era stock will cause this problem.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#5]
It's an Anderson lower with a 6 position adjustable stock, gas block hasn't moved a bit and the gas tube is still in it's place (16 inch barrel, carbine buffer/spring, gas tube). The fact that it ran fine for a while and then started this would signify something has changed but as far as measurements go everything is still the same. I swear I'm not making this up.
What seems strange to me is that the bolt will come all the way to lock back or pick up the top round in the magazine which is past the point where the trigger/hammer is reset but it doesn't cock the hammer.

Steve.........
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice Dano, it looks to be within the spec's you gave. Like I said before it mystifies me that it can strip the top round out of the mag but the trigger isn't resetting. When I cycle it manually it resets everytime.

Can it possibly be cycling too fast to reset the trigger or something dealing with that?

Steve..........
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#8]
What buffer weight are you using?
Maybe try heavier.
I'm using an H3 in my X39
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:22:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm using a standard Carbine buffer. I'm going to dig through my stuff and see where my H3 buffer is.
I took the fcg out and made sure everything was clean and assembled it like my factory Rock River Arms rifle was put together (same as I had originally assembled it), now to find some range time.

Steve.......
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top