Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2017 11:35:22 AM EDT
I have a Ruger AR556 that I have added a Rainier Arms match 223 wylde 18" 1:8 SPR barrel. I have a ALG free floating hand guard, and I have added a Geiselle SSA-E trigger. I am using a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12 power scope.

I took the rifle to a local 100yrd range, sighted in the scope with Federal Brass cased XM193 ammo. At this point I switched to Hornady 55Gr Boat Tail. The barrel was shooting between 2.5 and 4 MOA groups. This was from shooting bench using Caldwell shooting bags front and rear. Also, the rifle seemed to be short stroking as my spent casings were at about 5:00 to 5:30 position in relation to my rifle.

I HAVE checked the torque value on the scope rings and mounting screws.  I took the gas block off, drew a lateral line centered over the gas port to make sure everything was lining up correctly. When I initially installed the ALG hand-guard, I watched a ton of videos and followed the instructions to a tee.

I know the Hornady ammo was not their match ammo, and I will try match ammo, but is there anything that I can do to troubleshoot?

Oh, also, I may not be the best shot, but I have had MOA and sub MOA groups with this same Lot of  ammo out of my remmington 700, at this same range, with the same support bags.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#1]
You should be able to get better groups than that.

Barrel maybe?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#2]
just curious, but what was the accuracy of the regular Ruger barrel?  I'm no expert but I don't really see how the gas block and all could be affecting accuracy once the bullet is in the chamber.  Seems like that would affect reliability unless some how the tip is being deformed on the feed ramps.  Does it shoot just as poorly if you put one at a time in the chamber (more like a single shot bolt action? If so, I would think you could rule out anything that has to do with feeding and cycling the bolt.  

SO here are some thought from an amateur builder: 
Does that barrel have some sort of "Break in procedure" that you need to follow?  Are there any burrs on the new barrel crown that could be throwing it off? did you check with manufacturer and see what they think?  Another thought, did you try resting the free float rail at different places? maybe somehow that affects the harmonics of the whole rifle? I don't think it should, but it might be good to rule out, maybe the handguard could be moving if the screws are working themselves loose or something- or you could try to remove the handguard and bench shoot with a front rest right up under the barrel nut.

Other than that I would have to just go with the old line that some ammo shoots better in some firearms than others... Maybe try a lighter or heavier grain bullet and see what you get.  Or you could chop the top of the A2 sight off the ruger barrel and try it out with the free float.   Probably the last option, but just a thought.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I never shot the Ruger barrel for accuracy, but I did sight in the scope with it at 100 yards using the XM193 Federal. It shot reasonably tight groups though. I was just in a hurry and didn't go down range to measure.

I sold the Ruger Barrel so I can't go back and check.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at the barrel crown for nick's,burrs,concentricity......
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Great barrels can't make bad bullets fly right. The M193 rarely shoots better than 3.5" groups at 100 yards from any of my rifles. I own Krieger, WOA, CLE, Shilen, Rock River, Colt, BCM, Douglas and probably others I can't remember, none of them will shoot that crap.

My 100% guaranteed great groups always come from 52/53 grain match bullets from any of the big three companies. Using moderate powder charges under 1" is virtually always the result. It doesn't matter what twist rate the barrel has, 100 yard groups will put a smile on your face.

FMJ bullets are the lowest quality available. They are manufactured from the nose first back to the base, exactly the opposite of match grade bullets. The only reason the military uses them is they are cheap to produce, feed reliably and have the deepest penetration. Virtually every other design is more accurate.

If you don't reload try some 52/53 grain ammo and 68/69 grain ammo. Australian Outback, Federal, Hornady and Black Hills all make decent loads for .223. Clean the barrel really well. It's new and needs a thorough cleaning.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have a muzzle brake, take it off.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, I will be going back to the range sometime this week. I will take off the A2 flash hider. I assume this is to remove any inconsistencies. I will look for a 52 or 53 Gr match round from one of the brands listed. failing that, I will get whatever match grade ammo I can find locally.

As for the crown, it looks to be well machined. I inspected it when I installed it too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#8]
So I went to bass pro and they were our of hornady 53 gr varmint rounds so I went with a hornady  68 gr Match boat tail hollow point. I was afraid to get a 55gr because of the poor performance of the Hornady 55gr
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#9]
If you take off the flash hider to sight in, then you can't put it back on - what would be the point? If its affecting POI, you sight in with it on, then you're done. It won't cause dispersion - it will always throw the round the same way IF its affecting POI at all.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]
try some heavier bullets(68-69grn), I'll bet that helps some.

Bruce 
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top