Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/9/2006 4:05:12 PM EDT
I built a Krieger barreled AR.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=275013

The initial testing proved a disappointment. It seems I'd spent a bunch of money on a single shot straight pull rifle. It did not eject to first few rounds then began to at least eject but would not run the next round into the chamber. Classic short stroke.

My son & I tried different lowers, bolt & carrier and mags....no joy. The common issue was the upper. More precisely, the gas block & tube.

I contacted the fellow I got the barrel from and followed his advice. He suggested I flow some green lock tight in around tube into the gas block & let it cure for 24hrs. I followed that up with a thin coating on the barrel around the gas port & tightened the gas block down properly. The rifle sat in the safe for a week.

The weather was nice here near Saginaw Bay USA so it was time to make sure my AR was no longer a single shot. Being the pessimist I am, I loaded one round in the mag figuring if the bolt wasn't going to be driven rearward enough to hold open the problem wasn't fixed. This is one of the few times I ever recall being pleased the mag was empty & the bolt was lock all the way back

I loaded up a mag & fired for function in 3 & 4 shot bursts. My son has a faster finger than me & he let fly with four rounds faster than I could count. We are in business! Runnin' like a Rolex! Accurate too with just my blastin' ammo. Sub 1" groups with FMJ handloads!

Time to work toward an anal retentive accurate load & poke holes in all sorts of things.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:14:12 PM EDT
Sounds like a miracle solution...

Did you disassemble parts before applying the green loctite or did you just let it wick into the already installed parts? I am having a short stroke problem that's not as bad as yours, but a problem no less.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:22:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2006 4:23:05 PM EDT by SouthHoof]
I left the tube in the gas block. The green lock tight is very thin, like water. I let it flow in slowly & left the tube standing vertically. I installed it on the barrel the next day.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:23:24 PM EDT
I'll give it a try, thanks for the tip.
Top Top