Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/3/2006 7:13:52 PM EDT
My AR, which is 6 yrs old has been 100% reliable. But since yesterday, and today, I have been getting a lot of FTFs. Yesterday I had 4-5, all with Wolf ammo. I passed it off to the fact that its Wolf, but I was shooting some Q3131 today and had 3 FTFs in a 30 rnd mag. I bought a new firing pin since the one I had has about 10k rnds though it. I thought it would solve it but I kept having them today, about 8 FTFs in 210 rnds. All I do is eject and keep going until the next one. What would cause this? My gun is clean and has a new firing pin. What else might be the problem?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Most feeding issues are traced back to bad mags.  Have you tried a good USGI mag that has proven to be reliable?

Exactly what is occurring with the FTF?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Based on the idea he replaced his firing pin - I think he is using the FTF acronym for "fail to fire" not "fail to feed".  I wish people would just spell out what they mean.  

As to the failures.... you didnt go into any detail.

Are you getting light strikes?  Are you dimpling the primer?  Can you chamber the same round a second time and light it off?  Have you dont any modifications to your trigger/hammer?  Have you considered replacing your hammer spring?  Have you really cleaned your firing pin channel well?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Based on the idea he replaced his firing pin - I think he is using the FTF acronym for "fail to fire" not "fail to feed".  I wish people would just spell out what they mean.  

As to the failures.... you didnt go into any detail.

Are you getting light strikes?  Are you dimpling the primer?  Can you chamber the same round a second time and light it off?  Have you dont any modifications to your trigger/hammer?  Have you considered replacing your hammer spring?  Have you really cleaned your firing pin channel well?

Sorry for the poor clarification.

Yes I meant failure to fire- thats what I thought FTF acronym meant. 1/2 seem to be light strikes and the other half is too close to call. I did a 15 min trigger job last year, but it never affected anything then. Like I said, this AR has not once had a malfunction. I decided to buse out the break cleaner and give her a top to bottom and I noticed some crud in the firing pin channel well. I believe it may have been the cause but I will not know until tomorrow when I go shooting again.

thank you!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:49:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Wolf primer sealant seems to pack itself into the FP channel. If you shoot Wolf .223, I would recommend cleaning out the FP channel after each range session. It's not a big deal.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:50:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:44:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes I meant failure to fire- thats what I thought FTF acronym meant. 1/2 seem to be light strikes and the other half is too close to call. I did a 15 min trigger job last year, but it never affected anything then. Like I said, this AR has not once had a malfunction. I decided to buse out the break cleaner and give her a top to bottom and I noticed some crud in the firing pin channel well. I believe it may have been the cause but I will not know until tomorrow when I go shooting again.

thank you!

DING DING DING.

It aint the ammo.  This is just the first time you probably used something with some good 5.56 primers.   .mil primers have a harder cup, typically, or a change in the anvil design, which require a firmer strike to ignite.  I have done PLENTY of 15 minute trigger jobs.... and occassionally will get a lot# of Q3131 or Q3131A they I get light strikes on.

This IS the problem.  Trust me.  You might go back to getting near 100% ignition with a different lot, but it will come back to bite you.  Try and run some of the guatemalan.  I get 100% ignition with a stock or RRA 2stage trigger, but get 3% light strikes with the 15 minute trigger job.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't start shooting Wolf until recently. Nobody had it until SPortsman Warehouse opened up here.
I was shooting 100% Q3131a for at least a year after the 15min job without a single malf.

I went to the range today, and FTFs were cut down greatly. Still had a few though. My hammer springs are 6 yrs old with 10k+ rounds. I think that is probably the problem.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top