Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/20/2006 2:31:36 PM EDT
Here goes...I have a Colt AR-15 that had a 20 inch barrel. I wanted to have the barrel cut down to 16 inches and have the end threaded. I was told this was possible by my local gunsmith and that he had infact did one before for a guy. I had it done. Now the gun will only fire a single shot at a time. Most times it won't eject the empty. ANY IDEAS???
Please help me solve this problem...nice weather and I want to shoot!!!
Thanks guys!
Jason
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:26:48 PM EDT
When the barrel was cut from 20 inches to 16 inches the gas port stayed in the same place. the gas port was sized for the 20 inch barrel. Cutting the barrel 4 inches shorter and leaving the gasport in the same place and the same diameter changed the dwell time.

You may now have to open up the gas port from whatever it is 1 size at a time to make the gun run properly.

Charles the Gunsmith.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:39:08 PM EDT
Charles,
The gunsmith who is doing this work for me has opened up the port several times so far. He goes 1 or 2 sizes at a time and said it hasn't made it any better. I'm not sure what he is opening up but he said he has drilled the gas block...??? Anyway, I heard that I may need a different gas tube??? A pigtail gastube. Again, I am not all that knowledgeable in this area but have already learned a lot from this site. Any other advice from anyone would be much appreciated!

Jason
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:29:39 PM EDT
Opening up the gas block will not do anything. The gas port in the barrel needs to be opened up. You probably do not need a new gas tube. It sounds like your 'smith has no idea what he is doing. You should find another 'smith and get a second opinion.

Charles.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:35:52 PM EDT
*ALERT* BUBBA *ALERT*
Top Top