BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Ten more bad D&H magazines found. 12/05 date stamp.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Repost
So far it seems hit or miss. Either your mags are perfect, or feed lip problems; and Magpuls exacerbate the problem. No expert, but the Magpuls seem to push the cartridge tighter against the lip than the green (probably wrong about this).
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:43:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#4]
My D&H mags from 44mag.com scratch up the casings too
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I shipped all 20 of mine back and asked for a refund. I'll spend 2 bucks more apiece and only buy OKay.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got some D&H grey teflon mags that have had zero problems:

10 w/ Green followers and a 06/05 date
5 w/ Magpul Gen I followers and a 08/05 date
10 w/ Magpul Gen II followers and a 01/06 date

If anybody wants to unload their D&Hs for cheap, let me know!! ...

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've got some D&H grey teflon mags that have had zero problems:

10 w/ Green followers and a 06/05 date
5 w/ Magpul Gen I followers and a 08/05 date
10 w/ Magpul Gen II followers and a 01/06 date

If anybody wants to unload their D&Hs for cheap, let me know!! ...

Your lucky it seems. The (supposed) bad batches are the 11/05 and 12/05
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Your lucky it seems. The (supposed) bad batches are the 11/05 and 12/05

Honestly, in my opinion, this thread would be at least 10 pages long by now if 11/05 and 12/05 "problems" existed in any huge numbers.

The original poster with 50 "bad mags" (in his words) got taken care of.  I'm sure 44mag, BravoCo, D&H or whoever will satisfy their customers.  And in my eyes, 50 mags isn't really alot when you look at the big picture.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mine are stamped 7/05.....I see your point.  These new mags should be looked into.

Mine are stamped 8/05-- do yours function?

I will be checking some tomorrow....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#11]
My D&H magazines are 06/05. I have a picture showing how the right is thicker on the new D&H as compared to preban LaBelle, and current OKay's.

Left preban LaBelle, Middle D&H, Right Current OKay

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I had first round feed problems with a couple of DH mags myself, rounds would get caught on the case mouth.  I took an Arkansas stone to the inside edge of the front of the mag, deburred the edge and put a very slight (couple thou) chamfer on it.

Mags feed fine now.  YMMV
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I had first round feed problems with a couple of DH mags myself, rounds would get caught on the case mouth.  I took an Arkansas stone to the inside edge of the front of the mag, deburred the edge and put a very slight (couple thou) chamfer on it.

Mags feed fine now.  YMMV

Arkansas stone, Chicago bullshit, Kalifornia Krap, I'm not knocking your solution to a problem, but this stuff should be made right to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess we got what we paid for...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought ten, marked 11/05, they show wider right side feedlip and telltale ding
between feedlip and front of mag.  I was planning on saving for future, what should I do?

Gordon
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I bought ten, marked 11/05, they show wider right side feedlip and telltale ding
between feedlip and front of mag.  I was planning on saving for future, what should I do?

Gordon

I'll give you $5 a mag and pay for shipping.  I'm dead serious.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:11:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I tried my D&H mags this weekend. Sure enough I had the first failure I've ever had with this rifle. The rounds appear to be dragging on the right front lip area. 99% of the time the recoil spring will overcome this drag. I bet as the spring wears, or the rifle becomes dirtier the problem would show itself more and more. I'm just going to take a dremel to that area so the rounds don't drag through.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I tried my D&H mags this weekend. Sure enough I had the first failure I've ever had with this rifle. The rounds appear to be dragging on the right front lip area. 99% of the time the recoil spring will overcome this drag. I bet as the spring wears, or the rifle becomes dirtier the problem would show itself more and more. I'm just going to take a dremel to that area so the rounds don't drag through.

what batch?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what batch?

12/05 had the failure. But I have some 04/04s that look identical and leave identical marks or scrapes. As the picture above shows, it's not really a batch problem, your mags will or will not have the protruding right lip. Just check your brass to see if there are two gouges. There should be only one.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Just got back from the range a few hours ago.  Used my new 30rd black teflons w/magpul followers in my 16" Bushy.  Topped each mag off with 30 rnds of AE223, Wolf M193 or RORG SS109.  Not a single failure with any mag.  I'm very happy with them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Guys - do you know if the Defense Solutions Group mags are D+H mags with DSG floorplate?
Reason i ask is - i got about 10 of them when Rusty was running his Shotshow special and they all have the same symptoms described here...and they are stamped 11/05 on the side.Is a DSG mag built from a D+H body?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Guys - do you know if the Defense Solutions Group mags are D+H mags with DSG floorplate?
Reason i ask is - i got about 10 of them when Rusty was running his Shotshow special and they all have the same symptoms described here...and they are stamped 11/05 on the side.

Is a DSG mag built from a D+H body?

Yes - DSG mags ARE D&H with their custom floorplate.

Why are you upset?  Do yours not work?  I have ony seens a small handful of people with issues, and with the number of mags they have been selling, I think this would be way more widespread.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Reason i ask is - i got about 10 of them when Rusty was running his Shotshow special and they all have the same symptoms described here...and they are stamped 11/05 on the side.H

Yes - DSG mags ARE D&H with their custom floorplate.

Why are you upset?  Do yours not work?  I have ony seens a small handful of people with issues, and with the number of mags they have been selling, I think this would be way more widespread.

My (10) stamped 11/05 dont allow the bolt to cycle with full 30 rds in the mag.
May i ask why do you keep posting things like "I have ony seens a small handful of people with issues, and with the number of mags they have been selling, I think this would be way more widespread."
Most guys stock up on surplus mags when they are cheap(onsale) -many dont use them right away- thats why i think we havnt seen any large numbers of upset guys yet.
Are you a vendor or have some intrest in keeping bad mags from being returned?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
May i ask why do you keep posting things like "I have ony seens a small handful of people with issues, and with the number of mags they have been selling, I think this would be way more widespread."

Because I believe it to be true?  ......based on numbers of mags sold (reported by vendors) and the tiny amount of returns they have reported thus far.

Most guys stock up on surplus mags when they are cheap(onsale) -many dont use them right away- thats why i think we havnt seen any large numbers of upset guys yet.

That's possible.

Are you a vendor or have some intrest in keeping bad mags from being returned?

Nope - not at all.  How would I keep any mags from being returned?  I only made two posts giving my opinion in this thread, and I simply asked the question if yours didnt work.  (mostly out of curiosity, because I too just purchased a large amount of D&H mags, and have not tested them out yet)  

[edited for civility, a virtue that escapes me at times ]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

RustyTX has sold 10,000+ of these mags to the military and has had ZERO problems reported. Maybe he will chime in on this thread. He has on the other thread in the Mags section.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I got 30 of them from Rusty and 24 of them were bad. D&H stamped 11/05 Black 30rnd
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Luckily only bought 2 to try, but both are having the same probs as everyone else. Dated 10/05. Going to take a file to them and clean them up. Any one try loading with 29 instead of 30 meaning that the top round would be loading from the left side of the mag instead of the right? The left side of the mags look closer to my prebans than the right.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I got 30 of them from Rusty and 24 of them were bad. D&H stamped 11/05 Black 30rnd

Tag, I got some of them too. Need to check.

Danny
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#31]
4-Black teflon marked 11/05
3-Black teflon marked 1/06

All cycle 100% with both FMJ and HP in my RRA.

Edited to add: These all have the new grey Magpul followers. They also DO scratch the brass, this doesn't effect cycling and I don't reload so that's not an issue for me.

***If I ride the CH these will all hangup. From an open bolt or from a properly released CH they feed just fine. How many problems are from mags that are actually being used as opposed to cycled by hand?***
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Finally got a chance to get out and test a bunch of these mags, exactly the problems described, mags are from both DSG and 44mag, dates vary, 8-05,11-05,12-05. All are black teflon D+H's.
First round would fire from CH, then jam every round, deep scratches in the rounds and jamming occured in semi auto, had to pull the CH to chamber each round, really sucked, thought it was the new carrier group I installed but by looking at the mags because of this thread I now see why, all of these are going back, I'm not gonna fuck with them.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
4-Black teflon marked 11/05
3-Black teflon marked 1/06

***If I ride the CH these will all hangup. From an open bolt or from a properly released CH they feed just fine. How many problems are from mags that are actually being used as opposed to cycled by hand?***

I personally took out 10 of the 40 mags to the range and tried them out. Based upon the results there, and that I was only able to get 25% of 50 mags to cycle by hand (and I was vigorously snapping the CH back and letting it go uninpeded) I decided the whole batch was bad and sent them back. The few of the 10 mags that didn't fail to feed really scratched the hell out of the brass. And since I reload, I don't want such huge scratches. They're enough to make the brass unsafe to reload, I think.

Any one try loading with 29 instead of 30 meaning that the top round would be loading from the left side of the mag instead of the right?

I tried 30 rds, 29, and 28. No difference that I could see.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#34]
What do you guys think is causing the failure to strip the round from the mag?

Excessive force from the spring follower?  

Excessive drag from a burred feedlip?  

Excessive drag from the metal in front of the feedlip appearing to stick out too far?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

"Bad", as in you tried them and they would not feed?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
What do you guys think is causing the failure to strip the round from the mag?

Excessive force from the spring follower?  

Excessive drag from a burred feedlip?  

Excessive drag from the metal in front of the feedlip appearing to stick out too far?

It's the right feed lip that is causing the problem I took a dremel to it and all is good now, but you should not have do this Bull Shit. Some of these mags are not in spec that's for sure.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:08:29 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Compare your brass with those from an older mag or another brand.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I had to put the dremel to the metal last night after reading this post and discovering that I could not chamber the first round after hitting the bolt release.  I purchased mine from 44mag 2 weeks ago and are stamped 1/06 for those of you keeping track.  By the way, the dremel trick did the job and all is well now.  Just a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Which part of the feed lip are you guys dremeling ?

Is it the entire right side or just the little piece of metal that's rounded instead of flat at the front of the magazine on the right side that was shown in the picture ?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Bad", as in you tried them and they would not feed?

No they would not feed and put a bad scratch in the brass. But I took a dremel to the right feed lip and they all run 100% now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Which part of the feed lip are you guys dremeling ?

Is it the entire right side or just the little piece of metal that's rounded instead of flat at the front of the magazine on the right side that was shown in the picture ?

I did the entire right feed lip so it was the same width as the left side. If you look at the mag you can see the right feed lip is much wider then the left is. Just go slow and take your time mine all work fine now it sucks that you have to do this but it's not that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Sorry - but you shouldnt have to take a dremel to NEW MAGS.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:35:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Sorry - but you shouldnt have to take a dremel to NEW MAGS.  hr

Your damn right!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:40:28 AM EDT
[#44]
tag
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Well, I am glad I didn't order the case I was going to.

Ok, I have had my 20 D&H mags from 44mag.com for about 3 weeks.

I called 44 mag the same day I got the 20 Grey (D&H Mags Grey, Gray Gen2 Magpul followers, ALL Marked 12/05) about the problems I was having.

He stated that they had not had ANY complaints and to keep them apprised of the situation.

I thought I was NUTS, because NOONE on this board had seemed to have had ANY problems.

I could not strip of the first 4-5 rounds in ANY of them either loaded with 30 or 28 rounds.

NOT A SINGLE ONE!

I tried this in 4 Guns, 2 Bushmasters and 2 Rock Rivers.

Deep scratches in the brass, and the cartridge would only feed about an inch with the pull of the charging handle.

Opening the bolt, setting the hold open, loading the mag then slapping the release did not seam to help either.

Shooting the stupid things doesn’t help either!  

Why would shooting the things help any, if the mag won’t strip a round off when the charging handle is pulled and allow to slam forward properly, IT IS DEFECTIVE!

WHY WOULD SHOOTING THEM HELP!  

Yes the carrier might go a little more back, but SO WHAT!

I really wonder how many Mall Ninja's are here, and how many have ever even fired an AR15/M16?

Never again will I believe crap I hear on this board with out checking EVERYTHING out myself.  

This taught me a good lesson, kicked me in the ass, Thanks, I deserved and needed it!

With all the threats going on in the world right now, the last thing I need in this world is to have MAG PROBLEMS.

THESE MAGS SUCK!  I’ll send them back so D&H can use a demeral on them.

The feed lips are TOO SHARP, and with the EXTRA pressure of the MagPuls, make a BAD MAG WORSE!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Well, I am glad I didn't order the case I was going to.

Ok, I have had my 20 D&H mags from 44mag.com for about 3 weeks.

I called 44 mag the same day I got the 20 Grey (D&H Mags Grey, Gray Gen2 Magpul followers, ALL Marked 12/05) about the problems I was having.

He stated that they had not had ANY complaints and to keep them apprised of the situation.

I thought I was NUTS, because NOONE on this board had seemed to have had ANY problems.

I could not strip of the first 4-5 rounds in ANY of them either loaded with 30 or 28 rounds.

NOT A SINGLE ONE!

I tried this in 4 Guns, 2 Bushmasters and 2 Rock Rivers.

Deep scratches in the brass, and the cartridge would only feed about an inch with the pull of the charging handle.

Opening the bolt, setting the hold open, loading the mag then slapping the release did not seam to help either.

Shooting the stupid things doesn’t help either!  

Why would shooting the things help any, if the mag won’t strip a round off when the charging handle is pulled and allow to slam forward properly, IT IS DEFECTIVE!

WHY WOULD SHOOTING THEM HELP!  

Yes the carrier might go a little more back, but SO WHAT!

I really wonder how many Mall Ninja's are here, and how many have ever even fired an AR15/M16?

Never again will I believe crap I hear on this board with out checking EVERYTHING out myself.  

This taught me a good lesson, kicked me in the ass, Thanks, I deserved and needed it!

With all the threats going on in the world right now, the last thing I need in this world is to have MAG PROBLEMS.

THESE MAGS SUCK!  I’ll send them back so D&H can use a demeral on them.

The feed lips are TOO SHARP, and with the EXTRA pressure of the MagPuls, make a BAD MAG WORSE!

That's basically what I said regarding my GLOCK 33rd mags, but everyone and their brother at Glocktalk kept saying to shoot w/ the mags before complaining any further
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Metroplex,

I DID SHOOT with them.have
I was going to order a 100 mag case, BUT,

It would be HELL to train with.

I am sure that if you put ENOUGH rounds through them they would work.  

SOME lucky people here do that a LOT faster with the 3 setting on their selector switch.

I just want a mag that runs out of the BOX.

And yes I check ALL my mags, especially after THIS incident.have
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#49]
By visual inspection of the feed lips, it looks like I only have ten out of 35 bad ones.  I haven't had time to check them manually or by going to the range.  I know five of them do work.  Has anyone had problems with any D&H mags from anywhere besides DSG & 44mag?  The ones I have that look bad cane from another dealer who advertizes here.

TIA,

TS
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top