Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/25/2006 8:32:54 PM EDT
Hi gang, was out at the range this morning to sight in a new red dot and ran near 400 rounds through my AR and it ate everything I fed it except for the Win white box varmint 45grn hollow points. She wouldn't even cycle after first shot, I had to charge each round. What's up with that?? Only thing I could think was the low power round of 45 grns. My AR is built on a Superior lower and a CMT/Stag A3 upper.
Other than that had a great time, and the rifle ate Remington, Black Hills, a bunch of mil surp and alot of Wolf without so much as a hiccup.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:09:48 PM EDT
The lighter bullet and smaller powder charge, mean a much shorter dwell time for gas expansion.

IOW, the bullet is already out the barrel, before enough gas pressure can be tapped off to operate the weapon.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:45:13 PM EDT
I had issues with the 45 gr JHP as well, I noticed the tips were catching on my upper receiver and they would not cycle with mags that had weak mag springs. Once I put them into USGI mags, they were cycling fine.

Check your mags!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:05:05 PM EDT
Brand new USGI mags, green followers...Upper is 5.56 not .223 though I know it shouldn't matter....I am thinking it is the low power rounds.....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:30:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/26/2006 3:31:34 PM EDT by metroplex]
They should not be significantly underpowered compared to Wolf. When my rifle was short stroking on Wolf, it cycled WWB 45 gr JHP just fine with good mags.
Top Top