Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 8:35:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 8:37:50 PM EDT by steve-oh]
The hammer is cocked, ready to be fired, but for some reason my AR15 won't go on safe. Everything else on the rifle works fine except for that. When I take the pistol grip off (magpul MIAD) and pull out the spring and detent, then it seems to work okay going from fire to safe and back. (It's a DPMS parts kit in a RRA reciever.)
But also, I don't think it has anything to do with the detent. Because I figure if the detent was too tight on the selector there would still be even a little play. I don't even get that. The selector will not budge barely 1/10 of a millimeter, I mean this sucker literally won't move.

It is racking my brain, I'm thinking this is one of those things where there's a simple solution, and I'm just too close to the problem. Hopefully I just need someone with a fresh perspective to clue me in.

Thanks in advance. The collective wisdom here has never failed me, and I doubt this will be the first time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:24:52 PM EDT
I had the same problem and it turned out to be part of the J-spring off my hammer assembly that had worked its way under the trigger.

Might want to pull your hammer/trigger parts out and check for something under there that doesnt belong.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:36:49 PM EDT
The pointy end of the detent may be locking into the selector notch. I had the same problem with a build before. I rounded the point on the detent a little with a file, and put some CLP on it. That solved the problem for me. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:47:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By VAPORTRAIL:
The pointy end of the detent may be locking into the selector notch. I had the same problem with a build before. I rounded the point on the detent a little with a file, and put some CLP on it. That solved the problem for me. YMMV.

Yup, best fix. Other than replacing the selector....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:01:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 4:02:29 AM EDT by Dano523]
Top Top