Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 1:07:10 PM EDT
Okie Dokie...here goes...try to avoid laughing out loud, so as not to wake up your significant other.

After firing several of my buddies RRA AR's, I decided to make the big leap into the world of the BR.

All of them having been former military, all advised that when firing the AR, a proper sight picture is obtained by placing the side of your nose just about square on the charging handle.

At first I laughed and gave the old "You first" reply, which to my surprise, both did, and had some stellar target results. I followed suit, and much to my surprise, had the same stellar results!

Now on to the good part!

I bought my RRA, the CAR15, Tac. Elite, with the 16" barrel, nearly identical to the two I had previously fired.

Imagine my surprise when I received a mule kick to the nose, on damn near every shot out of it
( I wasn't smart enough to learn from the first one, I had to get punched about six times, before I decided not to try it again...).

I am currently shooting the Winchester .223 ammo, Walmart box.
I use CLP, religiously.

I have followed the US Army manual included with the rifle, for everything, especially cleaning.

I was wondering if there is an adjustment that needs to be made? Or does this lessen as the weapon breaks in?  should I even worry about it?

Someone smarter than me please reply. My nose would appreciate it.h.gif
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to seat the rifle properly against your shoulder.  I use a good amount of pressure to pull the rifle rearwards and this stops rearward travel. Nose to charging handle is good form IMHO.

After 300 rounds or so the skin wears of my nose though  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless the CH is broke and cycling rearward. I have heard stories of them kicking back, but never experienced this myself. I can't see the recoil hurting from an AR.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Rifle is seated properly against shoulder, stock firmly in the 'V' created by arm/ torso junction.

as for AR recoil not being unconfortable, try this little excercise next time you're at the range:

1. Place the tip of your nose against the end of the buttstock, and hold it there.
2. Fire at will.
3. Come back and repost.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Rifle is seated properly against shoulder, stock firmly in the 'V' created by arm/ torso junction.

as for AR recoil not being unconfortable, try this little excercise next time you're at the range:

1. Place the tip of your nose against the end of the buttstock, and hold it there.
2. Fire at will.
3. Come back and repost.

Thats to funny...

Lets see if im understanding you correctly... Are you saying that the rifle has more recoil than the others you have shot?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree that there can be quite a bit more recoil with a carbine w/ collapsible stock compared to a fixed stock 20".  My standard A2 with gov't profile barrel is lighter than my carbine (when all decked out) but still has way less recoil.  The carbine can actually become uncomfortable to shoot when shooting from the prone position wearing just a t-shirt.  The heavier buffer and longer recoil spring used in a fixed stock really helps to tame recoil.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#7]
So....would changing the buffer spring help?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top