Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 4:13:48 PM EDT
I have a Bushmaster Superlight with about 1500 rounds through it.  OCCASIONALLY, when the bolt is back and locked and I shove in a new magazine, the bolt will slam home chambering a round.  Other times, I have to depress the release to make it go home.  What is happening here?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
My gues is that i's simply the shock of the mag getting slamed in there that's giggling the hold opeen device/bolt enough for it to disengage...
'Same kinda thing that happens when you tap the butt of your rifle on the ground... often it's enough to release the bolt catch...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The bolt catch obviously is activated by the follower of your magazine, hence the last round hold back. Have you tried different magazines with different followers to see if the same thing happens?
Also, have you cleaned and oiled your bolt release and magazines to make sure they're not sticking? The bolt catch might also be out of spec, so if you may want to try and replace it. What Girlieman says is certainly possible, but I've never had it happen on my rifle, and I can understand how it can be annoying.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The bolt catch could be getting 'hung up' and not pivoting fully to allow a good bite of the bolt face... Try cleaning the bolt catch pivot areas with action cleaner then oil those areas real good... After oiling, by hand, manipulate the bolt catch several times to work the oil into the pivot pin (roll pin) area...  
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top