Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2006 8:37:15 AM EDT
I have a new build. SPR setup with 3-10M3 on a Larue tactical SPR\M4 mount....
Shooting 75gr BHs....
I'm averaging about 1\2-3\4MOA at 100yards...But when I get comfortable with a beanbag,,,,i average 1\4"....

Anyway...the conditions are terrible with the cold and wind but I have been getting some verticle stringing....I wont be able to verify it until i got out a few more times so the rifle and work things in...

The only thing is that the issue of verticle stringing seemed to appear when I swithed from an A2 flash hider to a MSTN\PRI brake....

What are some possible causes of verticle stringing in an AR?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#1]
inconsistent powder charges.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Did you over-tighten the muzzle brake? I think twisting the sh!t out of any flash hider / muzzle break can affect accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
just hand tightened and then another 1\4 turn to index...so wasnt very tight.

If anything when I switched from A2flashhider to MSTN brake..the group went up 1MOA.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Good, I'm just a little unsure what you are trying to say by "the group went up" did they (the hits)get closer together on the target or farther apart? do you see any evidence of gas leaking around the FSB? (or anywhere else on gun.) You also might want to try and lock your rifle into some type of bench rest vice or use something other than sandbags.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#5]
no gas tube is ever air tight at the gas block and tube junction....so i cant see where you would get a consistent, repeatble problem there.....
Obviously I need to go reverify it but is there any other possible cause for verticle stringing?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
inconsistent powder charges.

+1
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Let's see, accurate rifle and cold wx.

More clothes, different cheek weld makes parallax error more apparent.

Shooting from different surface, bi-pod bounce. (Assumption)

Lower ammo pressure, different harmonic relationships.

Or, something else.

Rifle accuracy sometimes mysterious.

Regards,
Mild Bill
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Eye of newt
Wing of Bat
I hope I hit
where the target's at.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
no gas tube is ever air tight at the gas block and tube junction....so i cant see where you would get a consistent, repeatble problem there.....
Obviously I need to go reverify it but is there any other possible cause for verticle stringing?

Often, vertical stringing is associated with breath control. You mentioned the conditions were terrible. Is it possible the conditions affected your posture, breathing, etc.?
FWIW
YMMV
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Often, vertical stringing is associated with breath control. You mentioned the conditions were terrible. Is it possible the conditions affected your posture, breathing, etc.?
FWIW
YMMV

+1

vertical = breathing
horizontal = trigger control (among others)
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top