Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2006 2:59:48 PM EDT
I recently ordered an upper in 6.8 Rem from Model 1 Sales and was surprized that the bolt was parkerized and had a relatively grainy texture rather than the smooth texture I have on my Bushmaster bolt.  Is this unusual?

I have been experiencing various problems including failure to eject and failure to feed.  Could the texture of the bolt be causing too much friction for effective cycling?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The finish can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Bushmaster has a really good finish on their Carriers, very durable. Del-Ton also has good Carriers but the finish is much smoother than Bushmasters and I don't think it's as durable (I'm about to find out) still, Chrome or TIN coating is supposed to be the best.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:09:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Chrome or TIN coating is supposed to be the best.

for?

For the guys selling chrome or TiN, of course! BSW
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:10:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:18:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Chrome or TIN TiN coating is supposed to be the best.

eta: god I'm bored
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Since only about four areas of the bolt carrier, rails I guess you could call them, and the bottom where it recocks the hammer, are actually in contact with anything, the finish won't really be an issue either way.  Assuming those are smooth of course.

I suppose that it does come in contact with the buffer tube, but that is easy to check.  Is there lots of wear on the finish of the carrier and inside the buffer tube?

I have seen some ROUGH bolt carriers in Army M16's that worked fine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:08:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#11]
The Chrome is easier to clean and supposed to be harder and more durable and the TIN is said to be even more so but I haven't used any TIN parts myself and while I like Chrome parts it is more useful in some places rather than others.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Ask Model1 if they are using CMT carriers and bolt assys. CMT recently went to a new thicker coating. I'll search for the pics. Many have stated they prefered the older style, nut as ruff, thick are some of the terms now being used. Like a Rhino linner on a pick-up bed.etc....
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top