Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2005 10:25:19 PM EDT
This isn't a critical question, just something I would like to fix for my own personal satisfaction. When I manually operate the action, my carrier has quite a bit of resistance when going over the hammer. It almost seems like my firing pin gets stuck on the hammer and produces enough resistance that if I'm riding the carrier forward slow enough, it gets stuck about half way. It's never happened when firing because I'm using a strong recoil spring, but I am concerned that as the spring weakens over time, this may start being more of a problem. I've confirmed it is not a misaligned gas tube or any visible burrs. Also, I'm using an unshrouded, chrome plated bolt.
Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Check the spool area of the firing pin.

Is it rough and chewed up??

If it is you can either releive the top of the hammer to keep it from catching on the FP or do what I did and get a shrouded bolt carrier.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's shrouded carrier time. The firing pin seems to be catching the tip of the hammer which is causing the carrier to lock up.
Thanks for the help.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top