Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2005 1:20:29 PM EDT
I recently ruined a gas ring on my CMMG/DPMS bolt, so I need to replace it.  

I was looking at purchasing a McFarland one piece gas ring to replace my standard gas rings, and wanted to know if these are worth while.  

Thanks

Tracker

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If the carrier gas chamber section has a bur and killed the first set, why would you think that the one piece would survive and not come the same demise as the first?

Might want to bring us up to speed how you/the rifle killed the first set, so we can help you resolve it first, then decide if you want to waste your money on the one piece rings.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If the carrier gas chamber section has a bur and killed the first set, why would you think that the one piece would survive and not come the same demise as the first?

Might want to bring us up to speed how you/the rifle killed the first set, so we can help you resolve it first, then decide if you want to waste your money on the one piece rings.

Dano,

I have recently had three blown primers while shooting factory Winchester Q3131A (lot # UM11), and the last one took my rifle out of action during a practical rifle match.  I believe that this was the cause for my gas ring going bad.  I did inspect my carrier and I cannot see any problematic areas.  

I can purchase the Mcfarland one piece gas ring for a little more than a standard gas ring, and wanted to  know how they perform.  Are they good or not?  All hype or should I stick with the original gas rings?

Thanks

Tracker

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:35:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Primers being blown are caused by either weak primer pockets, too high of working pressure, or the too slow of powder being used.

Going to anything that is going to seal the gas chamber better is really a step in the wrong direction since this will just lead to the action unlocking even faster.

And,
Just so we are all straight, any mil spec 5.56 round will have the primer crimped into the primer pocket (read will not blow out).
If the primer is not crimped/staked into the case, then it's not spec ammo, and at best, should a least have a X thrown in front of the name or a PD slapped on the end.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I put McFarlands on all my Ar's..Buy them from Brownells...Does it make a difference I really don't know. I do it because I can and they say it is better.

Now for your primer problem like stated above that is not a bolt or gass ring problem..Now I shoot reloads with out staked primers and have no problem. I also shoot that X or PD marked ammo with out problems.

Try different ammo and see if it happens. Also try that Lot in another AR or even a bolt gun
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used the McFarland ring in NRA Highpower competition for four years with no problems.  It tends to be more durable than standard rings since it's full thickness all the way around.  It exerts more force on the wall of the bolt carrier, so it needs to be well-lubricated for the first hundred rounds or so as it breaks in (a couple of drops of CLP through the gas ports of the bolt carrier will do the job).  The McFarland ring isn't necessary, but I prefer  it and will continue to use it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive been using them for a couple years,no questions of alignment.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I will stick with the standard rings on my CMMG/DPMS bolt that I had the problem with, and will try the McFarland one piece on my Bushy.

Thanks for the replies

Tracker
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top