Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/5/2005 10:29:31 PM EDT
I have a used Cavalry Arms MK2 lower with a no-name upper that was sold to me from another forum.  It was supposed to be 100% reliable, I can't make it feed the first round.  When attempting to chamber the first round, the bullet nose hits below the feed ramps.  I've tried six different GI magazines, have both loosened and tightened the magazine latch to no avail.  The Cavalry lower seems to have quite a bit of excess slack in the magazine well, it will allow a magazine to rock side to side and front to rear quite a bit when locked in.  I've also noticed the rear of the upper has been roughly fitted with a file in an attempt to make the rear receiver locking pins align.  Does anyone have any idea how I might be able to salvage this rifle?  I really don't have the cash to start replacing major parts, I spent all I had on the rifle.  Thank you very much for reading this. P.S. I've also noticed that when I draw the charging handle to the rear the carrier dislodges the top cartridge so that it stands the front of the case with the bullet up.  Sorry for my poor explanations, I'm not  sure about proper AR terminology.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:38:58 AM EDT
[#2]
CavArms has great customer service! Have some.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies!  I've tried chambering both ways, slow and from locked back position.  It will sometimes hit so hard when I let the bolt slam forward that it sets the bullet back in the case.  I've tried both left and right sides of the magazine.  I've found that if I hold the magazine at the bottom and rock it forward as far as it will go, then it will usually but not always feed.  One thing is certain, of all the things I'm being forced to learn about AR's, being careful about buying used from an individual is the most important!  I paid $600 for this thing and for a couple hundred more, I could have bought a new Bushmaster or other nice rifle that actually works!  As things stand, I have no idea if its the Cav. lower or a misfitted junker upper that is causing my problem.   I wish there were someone nearby that owned an AR, then I could swap uppers and see if this made any difference
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I know this is a long shot but do you think you have any recourse to go back to the seller and get your money back??

You were sold an item that was termed "reliable" and it is not.

I also second the idea of contacting CavArms and see what they will do for you.

good luck.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I contacted the seller and basically all I got was a "TOO Bad!"  I'm not one to start  a fight on a public forum, other than doing just that, I have little chance of any help from him.  I guess I'll just have to chalk it up as an expensive lesson.  Six months of saving money for a rifle, blown out of the water. I'm going to send the rifle to Cavalry Arms they, at least, can pinpoint the problem area for me and with time and money I can start replacing whatever is the problem.  Thank all of you for your interest in my troubles!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I contacted the seller and basically all I got was a "TOO Bad!"  

Man that sucks.  Sorry you had so many problems with the person who sold you your gun.  I personally know someone who was screwed by a gun dealer at a gun show.  The dealer sold him a Taurus 9mm for $325 cash with no papers, and the dang thing did not shoot.  He went back the next day to confront the dealer, and the dealer said "I have never seen you before."  Sending the pistol to Taurus cost an additional $150, which brought the total charge above what a new pistol would run.

Six months of saving money for a rifle, blown out of the water. I'm going to send the rifle to Cavalry Arms they, at least, can pinpoint the problem area for me and with time and money I can start replacing whatever is the problem.  Thank all of you for your interest in my troubles!

Hopefully all is not lost and Calvary will stand behind their product.  Also, do you have a gunsmith in your area that can look at your AR for you?  It could be something as simple as a magazine catch adjustment, which would be easy to fix.

Did you try different magazines from a reputable manufacturer?  Personally, I haven't had any problems with D&H manufactured magazines, but, I have had issues with those from Okay industries (follower problems).  Finally, in some rifles I have found that the 20 round magazines work better than the 30 rounders.

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine has the standard feed ramps.  Can they be modified to possibly work?  I have tried all the magazines I have (12) none work, all are 30 round GI with green followers,some won't even lock.  I have it packaged up for shipping next week, I hope it can be fixed in a relatively painless manner. I  had hoped to be shooting it  since I had some time off and had bought a ton of ammo to run through it.  YAHHH!  
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#10]
This I don't know. Ill open it up tomorrow to have a looksee.  Again, thanks very much for your attempts at helping me!  In all honesty, i'm beginning to think that there is more than one out of spec part involved here.  The slack in the lower magwell, and quite possibly something not right with the upper, too.  Some of my magazines will not insert far enough in the mag well to lock.  I think the feed lips may be obstructed by something wrong in the upper receiver, preventing the mag catch from engaging the magazine locking slot.  If I can just figure out the exact problem, like perhaps a bad upper, I can at some futire time, buy another and change it out.  What's going to hurt is needing to pay for a diagnosis and then having to start buying new parts, too.  Such is life in the fast lane!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:03:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies!  I've tried chambering both ways, slow and from locked back position.  It will sometimes hit so hard when I let the bolt slam forward that it sets the bullet back in the case.  I've tried both left and right sides of the magazine.  I've found that if I hold the magazine at the bottom and rock it forward as far as it will go, then it will usually but not always feed.  One thing is certain, of all the things I'm being forced to learn about AR's, being careful about buying used from an individual is the most important!  I paid $600 for this thing and for a couple hundred more, I could have bought a new Bushmaster or other nice rifle that actually works!  As things stand, I have no idea if its the Cav. lower or a misfitted junker upper that is causing my problem.   I wish there were someone nearby that owned an AR, then I could swap uppers and see if this made any difference

Where are you in Ar.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Small community between Hot Springs and Malvern, just three miles west of Interstate 30. Actually located on US hiway 270.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#14]
It has to be the mags. I can't think of anything else it could be? Did the mags come with the gun?
Here's my Cal arms that runs fine. Does yours look like this with the mag inserted?

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have tried all the magazines I have (12) none work, all are 30 round GI with green followers,some won't even lock.

I read six now I see the twelve. Hard to beleve all twelve would have problem.

P.S. I've also noticed that when I draw the charging handle to the rear the carrier dislodges the top cartridge so that it stands the front of the case with the bullet up.

I didn't think the magazine would allow this? I thought the feed lips might be spread?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I at first tried the six I had in my carriers, then got the rest and tried them.  That's the reason for the different mag count. Sorry if i didn't elaborate.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Do you have another AR? If so try the upper on the other lower and the Cav lower on the other upper see if that changes things.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#19]
No, I don't own another.  This is my first AR and it has been a learning experience to say the least.  I've owned and built several FAl's all of them together haven't caused as much pain as this AR has.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:11:40 AM EDT
[#20]
It sound to me like the lower is out of spec and not locking in the mags at the right height. If It's the lower, you could get a stripped one, salvage some parts and the stock, and solve the problem for a "relatively" small amount of money.

You really should ask around at the range or gun store to see if anyone will let you try sswapping lowers
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:25:46 AM EDT
[#21]
FYI CavArms MK 2 is a Nylon one piece lower!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:29:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I did not know that, sir. All the more reason to think the problem is in the lower.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:31:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:41:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:15:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Yessir, I do have a set of digitals. I an a retired machinist so measuring stuff is not a problem.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:43:45 AM EDT
[#26]
O holey crap, I just realized what is up. You have a tac bolt catch that is out of spec, and the bolt in the upper is riding over it , and the rounds in the mag are being forced nose down by not being high enough. Remove the Tactical bolt catch, and see if it solves the problem, if it is the prob then dremmel, or grind the tip of it about 1/16 off till it fits. I will bet you five bucks that is the problem. Out of spec after market part.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:11:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Oho well...
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#28]

You have a tac bolt catch that is out of spec, and the bolt in the upper is riding over it , and the rounds in the mag are being forced nose down by not being high enough.

Did this work?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#29]
What is a TAC latch?  According to illustrations I have, the magazine latch is the same as GI??  Or looks to be.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:58:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure what/where you are talking about measuring?  Never mind, I think I figured it out. You are talking about the horizontal slot where the latch engages the magazine slot. I'll get a measurement early this morning, my tools are in my shop and its pouring rain at the moment. Man, i'm gonna have to compensate you for all the time you are spending.  All for someone you don't even know.  I'm not used to this, I usually get a short answer and then silence on another forum of this type.   I really appreciate it and hope I can repay you someway down the road.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:24:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:44:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Tactical Bolt Catch
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#35]
As near as I ca tell (depending on where I measure, the plastic is not completely straight) the measurement is .941.  the slot width is .259.  This seems to be within the tolerance levels you have listed.  I'm looking to see what mag well sizes might be listed, just to see why my magazines seem so loose in the well. According to the print, the magwell is supposed to be 2.398 front to rear. Mine measures 2.411. Would .013 be enough to cause feeding issues?  Also the width is supposed to be .898, mine measures .913, .015 over the specified dimension.  I at least know why the magazine rattles around in the magwell!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I agree with the poster on the Mag catch adjustment. if the mag is too low in the well, not enough of the rear of the case is engaged and it pushes the case down instead of forward.

Tweak, what say you?

Tack
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#38]
The magazine catch is .246 wide.  The ledge (part that engages the mag notch) is .046 thick. Overall thickness is .158
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Send it back!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for all your help.  I really do appreciate it.  I guess I'll just send it back to CAV.  Looks like I'll need to buy another upper, also.  With all the filing that has been done to it, I have to believe that it has issues too.  I may try a flat top this time.  Can you tell me what rear sight I can buy that will work with the factory height front?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Deal with CavArms first,it may solve all your problems.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:15:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#44]
All they can do is send it back!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top