Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/23/2003 7:31:52 PM EDT
I was working the range today for a rifle class and one of our Bushmasters developed a nasty problem. When the spent rounds are being extracted, they are being forced upwards into the bottom of the charging handle, instead of ejecting out of the ejection port. The bolt then gets wedged with the casing jammed between the extractor and the end of charging handle, requiring a screwdriver to clear the jam. There is now a nice divit in the extractor and bolt face where the rim of the casings were jamming. I switched magazines and it is definitly a problem with the rifle.

I didn't have a chance to compare the rifle to another but I think extractor might need to be replaced. FYI, this rifle already has a hit against it because it has an overtorqued barrel. Funny how none of the Colt's are having problems.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:34:02 PM EDT
Clean or replace the ejector spring. Sounds like it's not getting enough force to kick out the brass.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:45:30 PM EDT
Ah, the infamous "death jam." Poor extraction. There is synergy between the extractor and ejector. If the extractor is weak the case doesn't get held firmly enough against the ejector and ejection is weak. Just to be safe, change both. If the bolt/extractor is damaged (did I understand you correctly, the bolt face is dented?) change the whole thing out. Brass shouldn't dent 8620 steel. Maybe that's why the print calls the steel different. [:D] Instead of a screwdriver might I suggest (and pass this on to the students cuz you won't have a screwdriver when it happens in a fight) that you push in on the bottom of the bolt catch while jamming the butt into a firm surface? The inertia of the bolt will move it to the rear then the case will fall out. That is the method Sam teaches and works for me. Got to demo it during a Farnam rifle class one year.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:22:33 PM EDT
The way the case was jammed the first time, banging the butt of the rifle on the ground wouldn't clear it. I kept an eye on the student and when it started happening again, I was able to pry the casing out using some spent brass before he made it worse (expediant as hell, but it worked). I have a feeling the extractor spring might be part of the problem, but I still need to compare the bolt and extractor to another rifle. When we first got the four Bushmaster's that have been causing us problems, in addition to all of the barrels being overtorqued, we had to send the bolts back on two of them because they were machined wrong. Frisco: The ejector spring seemed to be in good condition when I checked it. The way the casings are jamming, it seems the problem is more in the direction the brass is being ejected (up instead of out) that is causing the problem. I'm going to take another look at the rifle tomorrow. Since all of the non-shooter induced problems we have been having with the AR15's seem to be related to these four rifles, I was just wondering if anyone else had the same experiences with their Bushmasters.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:38:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/24/2003 5:13:15 AM EDT by Tweak]
Originally Posted By BB493: Since all of the non-shooter induced problems we have been having with the AR15's seem to be related to these four rifles, I was just wondering if anyone else had the same experiences with their Bushmasters.
View Quote
No f'ng comment. [:|] [clarity]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:14:14 AM EDT
Tweak, you are so eloquent. [:D] Saw a friend's rifle jam just like this and we used the technique Tweak described. However, we also had to pull back fairly hard on the charging handle when slamming the butt on a bench. The jam cleared after a few "bangs" (no pun intended). Tweak, the rifle we had to clear had an A2 stock. I understand to clear a rifle with a collapsible stock you should put the stock all the way forward in the collapsed position. Are collapsible stocks more susceptible to damage when banging them on the ground (even collapsed)? I would think so.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:11:58 AM EDT
You don't pull back on the charging handle. I believe you're thinking about the response to a round jammed in the chamber. In this technique you leave the charging handle forward, push in on the bottom of the bolt catch, and slam the butt into the ground. The bolt will move to the rear and release the casing that is stuck between the bolt face and the end of the charging handle. If you pull on the charging handle while doing this you'll force the case against the face of the bolt as the bolt moves to the rear. With collapsible stocks it's advisable to fully telescope the stock and pay close attention to the angle at which you are striking the ground. The closer the barrel is to perpendicular the better. Any angled hits will drive the head of the latch lock pin into the end of the slot in the lower receiver extension. If time allows, it would be advisable to remove the stock from the LRE. I've seen collapsible stocks damaged in this manner through a variety of circumstances. The most common being people who slam the buttstock into the ground while going prone. The latch pin will bend after many repetitions and make it difficult to adjust the stock.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:34:05 AM EDT
Tweak, (as usual) you are correct. The rifle I mentioned had a round jammed in the chamber. Thanks for the info on the collapsible.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:17:34 PM EDT
I didn't have a chance to test out the rifle today like I hoped to. I was going to shoot it during the "Fun" shoot after qualifications today but everyone complained they were too tired and decided to call it a day (I'll never understand this since I never give up a chance to shoot free ammo). I have to take a teamate out to the range next week to check the sights on his rifle. I know you shouldn't exchange parts from one rifle to the other, but I was thinking about switching out a bolt and extractor from another rifle to try and pinpoint the problem. I'd hate to buy a new bolt if all I need is a new extractor. And get this, I just learned today that last month while I was out of state for a class, someone had the same jam with this rifle and simply put it back in the armory with the casing still stuck in it. No one bothered to tell me about this and we have been deploying this defective rifle on patrol for the last month. I'm just glad it didn't get anyone killed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 3:10:51 AM EDT
Any chance the bolt is upside down?
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:06:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BB493: I'd hate to buy a new bolt if all I need is a new extractor.
View Quote
As would we all, the suggestion to replace the bolt was predicated on your statement that the face of the bolt was damaged.
we have been deploying this defective rifle on patrol for the last month.
View Quote
I'm not surprised hoss, you should prowl the racks of your scatterguns sometime for an eye opener. I've seen some scary stuff with some LE SGNs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 6:07:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/25/2003 6:09:58 PM EDT by Dano523]
On strange ejection paths, check the claw tips on the extractor. One may have a nasty tip bur that is retaining/diging into the rim of the spent case, or one may be chipped and causing uneven pull pressure. A bur can be cleaned/filed, but a chipped claw is forever and requires the extractor to be replaced. P.S. The Military way is when every in doubt, replace the part with a new one, including the entire rifle if necessary. But, that only works when you have a stockpile of parts, and full rack of weapons in lock up.
Top Top