Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2003 1:01:53 PM EDT
Hi Guys, new to this board and AR's. I've been wanting an AR for a long time and finally took the plunge.
I purchased a J&T 20" flattop standard kit with a nm ff handguard and a weaver style gas block in place of the front sight. I'll be installing the lower kit into a RRA stripped lower to complete it.
My question is, if and when I should ever need to remove the ff handguard, how do I remove it? The ff handguard is the one that looks like a knurled tube with slots in the end closest to the gas block. Any special tools I need to do this?
One other question for now. What is your guys opinion of the kit I got and what kind of accuracy can I expect with good ammo and optics?
 thank you,  dc

Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Std FF tubes are removed with a strap wrench. Usually one with a cloth strap. The front sight base/gas block has to be removed then the handguard is removed then the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you Tweak. When I remove the gas block/sight base will the gas tube slip right out of the reciever end and come off/out with the gas block?  In other words is the gas tube on the reciever end just a slip in fit or is it retained with some thing?
dc
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The gas block is retained to the barrel by setscrews on the bottom of the block.  To remove the gas block from the barrel, loosen the bottom setscrews, then pull the block and gas tube straight forward.

When you reinstall the block/gas tube, use a pencil and make a mark on the barrel shoulder where the gas port is on the barrel. This will allow you to blind align the block/barrel ports.

Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When I remove the gas block/sight base will the gas tube slip right out of the reciever end and come off/out with the gas block?
View Quote

The gas tube will come out/off with the block. It's pinned to the block and sticks into the receiver through a hole in the receiver's front face. As you slide the block forward to clear the muzzle the rear end of the gas tube will pull out of the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:36:58 AM EDT
[#5]
thax much fellas.
dc
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top