Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2003 5:23:03 PM EDT
One of my bolt carrier key screws came loose this weekend after shooting a few hundred rounds.  I had a failure to fire, opened her up and noticed the screw sitting there... I guess it got caught in the locking lugs, lucky for me.

I reinstalled it by just using an allen wrench, but I'm wondering how to properly secure it.  Can I just use locktite?  Or, do I have to take it to an armorer to have it pinned?  If it must be pinned, I think I'll ship it back to J&T since it is from their kit... I would think if it was done properly in the first place it wouldn't work itself out.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Not haste.. This is a very simple fix.

Once you have your screws sinched down.
Use a pointed puch and stake the edge of the screws and carrier gas block at the seems where they mate flush. Just enough to put a small divet on the outer edges of the screws.
usually 2 divits per screw will do.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#2]
A description of the staking is in the [url=http://ar15.com/content/books/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf]23&P[/url].

Give the vendor first shot at fixing it tho.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I emailed J&T, they will repair it for free.  Local gunsmiths wanted between $25-35, bleh.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top