Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2003 5:01:52 PM EDT
My empties are ejecting to the right front instead of the right rear like I am used to.  Also, there are no brass marks on the deflector...only a little bit of bare aluminum on the leading edge of the base of the deflector.  The ammo is Win Q3131A.  The rifle is a RRA lower, RRA lower parts kit, RRA two stage trigger, factory assembled Bushmaster complete upper with 20" gov't profile barrel.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
only a little bit of bare aluminum on the leading edge of the base of the deflector.
View Quote

Is the Al bare bc the brass struck the deflector and chipped the finish?

Are there any marks on the rear of the delta ring?
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
only a little bit of bare aluminum on the leading edge of the base of the deflector.
View Quote

Is the Al bare bc the brass struck the deflector and chipped the finish?

Are there any marks on the rear of the delta ring?
View Quote

Yes, it appears that the brass has chipped the base of the deflector a bit.  It's a very small mark, though.  There are no marks on the delta ring.  The upper has about 200 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I found this little tid bit on Armalite's site:

[b]"The ejection pattern of a rifle is created by a complex interplay of the opening velocity of the carrier group, and the extractor, ejector and their springs. In general, the faster the carrier group opens, or the stronger the extractor and ejector springs, the farther toward 12:00 (looking down on the rifle) the case is ejected. The weaker the springs are, or the slower the carrier group opens, the farther toward 6:00 the case is ejected.

ArmaLite® seeks an ejection pattern between 1:00 and 3:00, and inspects for this characteristic during inspection. Obviously, the carrier’s opening velocity is subject to differences in ammunition. Springs can take a set over time, and the ejection pattern eventually shifts toward 5:00. This is normal, and readily adjusted by extractor spring replacement and ejector spring timing."[/b]

Perhaps there's nothing wrong with my rifle at all!  [:D]

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#4]
As long as they're coming out the side you should be fine. If they go forward there is probably overfunction.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#5]
For range shooting, my Bushmaster was dumping the hot brass at 4:00 to 5:00 and onto the shooter to my right. I Dremel cut two coils off the ejector spring and now the empties are at 1:00 to 2:00 where they don't hit anyone and are easier to retrieve. With an obviously less strong ejector spring, this is opposite to what Armalite said.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Bradd,

I would say there is nothing wrong.  From what experience I have, hotter ammo tends to eject brass farther forward.  My DPMS M4 ejects Winchester "USA" .223 at the 5:00 position about 5-7 feet from the rifle.  When I run Winchester Q3131A the brass goes about 12-15 feet away at a 2:00 position. Quite impressive, and my friends know better than to sit two stations to my right at the range [:)]

I am no tech guru, but I suspect that hotter ammo causes a faster cycling which in turn makes the brass hit the deflector with more force and at a slightly different angle.

Long story short, I don't think anything is wrong!
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:10:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I just did a lot of shooting this weekend and shot only XM193.  My brass went the same way, forward at about 1:00 and 2:00.  I was lying prone shooting with a guy spotting me to my right.  He was standing way back expecting to get hit by the brass, except he didn't, the brass piled up forward of my position.

It was easier to police up as well since it went forward into the same location.  I don't think anything is wrong with that, it seems normal with hotter ammo.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I like it when my brass goes into a nice neat pile in front of me.  It's great for when you are shooting lefty.  If you don't like the nicks and marks on your shell deflector you can put tape over it.  The best tape is "Gaf tape" but it can be expensive.  It holds as strong (I tested) as duct tape but doesn't leave a sticky residue behind.  Luckily I have a couple friends who do a lot of movies and they have rolls and rolls of the stuff, they were happy to give me some.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:54:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I like it when my brass goes into a nice neat pile in front of me.  It's great for when you are shooting lefty.
View Quote

I shoot lefty and I surely appreciate it!  I have had a few shells from other rifles catch me on the right forearm or hit me in other places because I was shooting lefty.  The AR with the brass deflector is very lefty friendly.  My father who served during NAM (also lefty) told me stories about shooting M16s with no shell deflector.  No major issues, just shells in the face!
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I actualoy advocate that folks adjust their rifles to drop the brass forward to keep from dropping hot brass down the collar of the shooting collegue to your right. As noted, you get to keep more of your empties this way too.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top