Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2003 8:19:38 PM EDT
I have the AAR-15 Beowulf .50 cal rifle.  It's brand new.  I seem to have a problem with it loading.  It will strip the round from the magazine and then when the bolt face goes to make with the chamber...she stops.  Most of the time it won't even lock.  I figure this may be due to the fact it is new, or what.  I think maybe the locking lugs have to wear down a little to load and lock the breech easier.  On a side note, I noticed this while cleaning, the extractor exterior finish showed definite signs of heavy abrasion.  Thoughts???
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:50:22 AM EDT
[#1]
All right.  IF you didn't know, which I assumed some of you did, that the Beowulf is just an AR-15 with a .50 barrel and a larger bolt face.  Same weapon and parts except for the 16 inch barrel.  Any help you can give would be appreciated.  At first I thought maybe it was that the bolt carrier key was stiff in it's slot.  But, it doesn't act up like that during a functions check.  Just during loading rounds.  Would putting a light dab of oil on the round help?  I mean, I am an armorer and work on these all the time.  I just never encountered this.  I looked in my 23&P for the M16A4 rifle and it didn't say much.  I think the exterior of the extractor is getting worn due to improper loading (ie, by hand) because it is just too big of a pain in the ass to try to load with a magazine.  It doesn't do it because of the magazine, because it can strip the round just fine and during dry fire, the magazine operates normally.  I'm a little stumped.  I think it may even be a headspace problem.  I think it may even clear it's self up after 200 rounds.  So far, it's only been 40.  The problem is still prevalent.  Any advice you can give will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#2]
[email][email protected][/email]

Don't put oil on the round.[slap]

You are saying you can cycle the rounds fine by hand but the gun won't lock during live fire?

May be short stroke of some sort.

Does it lock back on the last round from the magazine?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, this happen when ever it loads from a magazine and from hand feed.  I just take the mag out because it is easier to work with withoug flinging all my rounds everywhere.  Trust me there is no such thing as a short recoil for this rifle.  I shot it FRI and I still have the bruise from the 20 rounds I fired.  Yes it will lock back.  The bolt face seems to have a problem locking upon loading.  The carrier will not go all the way forward unless I play with it for 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have any thoughts?...anyone?
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top