Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2003 1:24:36 PM EDT
I cracked my olyarms bolt carrier, and JUST BECAUSE OLYARMS ITALY customer service really sucks, ordered a new bolt carrier from a COLT dealer, he shipped me the carrier in seven days (I'm begging my olyarms dealer from early june..), now...

My problem is that the oly bolt enter into carrier only 3/4 of the total lenght, I tried to tap the bolt with a plastic mallet, and it enter completely, but it's stuck in place.

The colt carrier is really lightweight and cut in the bottom rear portion.

Also, it is internally chromed.

My guess is, that, since the oly bolt carrier is not chromed, the plating inside colt carrier prevent the bolt from fully seating.

Any info on how to solve this??

I didn't want to swap the bolt, 'cause it's not damaged and also it's mated to my barrel extension..

I'm desperate, please, help!

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you clean the carbon deposits off of the bolt before putting it in the new carrier?
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:30:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone can explain me how to post photos here? I would show you the old BC, the new and my bolt.

However, I cleaned the bolt, but now I double check it, and try again.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 2:43:36 AM EDT
[#3]
All Bolt carriers are supposed to be the same internally, you might have a problem with the bolt,do the gas rings look ok ?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I removed gas rings (very carefully) from the bolt, and still, it didn't fit into bolt carrier.

The inside of the new bolt carrier is hardchromed, and it seems that it has some ridges right where bolt stop fitting in, I strongly suspect that those ridges (sort of protruding ring) stop the bolt before it's fully seated.

Any suggestion?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/bolt_mpc_diagram.jpg[/img]

The Bottom section of photo.

On your bolt at the gas section, is the gas section straight with no excessive metal or rings, or is there a ring/high spot just before the flair out where not enough metal was lathed off?  

Also, look inside the carrier, are the key screws protuding into the bolt void/area (too long)?

Link Posted: 7/26/2003 2:23:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Nope, I checked the bolt and it's ok, the shoulder just past the gas rings it's also ok.

At a close inspection seems that the hole in the bolt carrier that fit in the end of the bolt, the part where you slide the firing pin into is slightly misaligned, examinining the BC with a strong light it seems like the ring inside the hole it's raised only on a side of the hole.

Maybe if I can lathe the hole SLIGHTLY larger the bolt will fit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Underdog,

I sent you an email, I think it should help you out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 6:11:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I checked the bolt carrier today with the aid of a machinist, and we found that the hole in the bottom of the BC (the same hole in which you slide the firing pin into) is misaligned by at least 1mm. Looking at the BC over a strong light, you can see that the misaligned hole forms a half ring that bind the bolt if it's pushed into BC. We tried to push the bolt into BC with a plastic mallet, and while stuck into, the firing pin refused to go into bolt.

Now, today I will send back the BC to COLT Italy.

Still, I got ABSOLUTELY NO RESPONSE from olyarms Italy. And they told me that they ordered the oly bolt carrier and a new extractor some 60 days ago (If oly usa would have shipped them, I suppose it would be a matter of A WEEK, not two months).

Still, the out-of-spec colt BC is something that left me dumbfounded. Isn't colt supposed to have a great quality control? Didn't they CHECK the damned parts they sell??

(I'm really, really upset)
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I'd be pissed too!  Colt should be good to go since their BC groups are up with the best.  All of mine have been but I guess now and then crap leaves the shops.  Sounds like you had a double whammy!  Hope it all works out and QUICK!
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Underdog,

Photos are posted here by uploading the photos to a photo sharing service then posting the url to them in this format
[img]URL[/img]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top