Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/22/2003 8:18:11 AM EDT
Just received a RRA LE Entry stock from another board member. I try to remove the screw that holds the sling loop in place and that SOB is going no where!. I beleived it to be secure with Red Locktite. How can I loosen the screw up without destroying the stock?

TIA
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:23:36 AM EDT
Why people use Loctite anywhere on an AR makes no sense to me. The stuff is absolutely unnecessary if the components are properly tightened and only creates the kind of problems you describe. Heat will soften the bond created by the "red crap". Not familiar with the stock you refer to, but apply as much heat as you can to the metal parts until you can loosen the screw.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:52:12 PM EDT
Hmm.....all the ARMS SIR's I have purchased as of late came with locktite (not the red though). Put heat to where? A stock? I do not think so. Last time I check....hold on......yup still is made of a synthetic material. Direct heat and polymers are not a good combination. Is there any kind of solvent I can use to loosen thedreaded red locktite?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:54:16 PM EDT
I just unfastened mine (bought new and never installed), it appears to have a thread-locking patch on the fastener. A patch is a way of putting thread locker in an automated fashion (high production) on threaded products and it is not loc-tite though it basically serves the same purpose. Heat would assist removing an overly difficult fastener and can be done without hurting the stock. Apply a soldering iron to the center of the sling loop closest to the stock (avoiding touching the stock itself) and heat it up until it can be broken free. You don't have to get it blazing hot to work... just increase the temp of the loop a little at a time until it turns.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:51:43 AM EDT
223REM, What kind of scredriver are you using? If you're not doing so already, go buy a hollow ground one tha fits tightly into the screw slot. Take the stock with you into the hardware department.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:51:26 PM EDT
I would try heating the sling loop with a non-flame heat source. One good option would be a soldering iron. Use just enough heat to soften the loctite. Sarge
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:20:37 PM EDT
try a soldering iron on the sling loop.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:10:20 PM EDT
Second on having a good fitting screwdriver. The mil spec screws have a patch of thread locker on them, and they have always come loose for me... Failing that, the soldering iron trick will get most any thread locked screw loose. Or for that matter, it will help remove a rusty sight screw too. Like most folks who want their competition rifles to stay in one place, I loctite all kinds of stuff, and it comes apart nicely with a little heat (blow dryer). But I always restrict that action to metal on metal assemblies where a little heat will hurt nothing but the loctite.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:19:03 PM EDT
Whoever used the loctite should be flogged. The red stuff is really really bad. You may have to drill it out. I bought a rifle that had the pistol grip screw loctited...I sheared off the screw trying to get it out and then had to have the screw drilled out. If you ever use loctite on an ar, you are an idiot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:42:13 PM EDT
Rather than getting yourself a hollow ground screwdriver, buy the type that snaps on a ratchet. You'll get more torque and it'll be less expensive.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:13:12 AM EDT
Hey DigDug, I agree that there are bad places to use loctite, but there are good places too. Try to remember that neither ignorance nor anger nor flaming will get 223Rem's gun apart. Try a good fitting screw driver and heat next time. It works better than anger, and costs less too.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:16:38 AM EDT
There is nothing wrong with using Loctite, but everything wrong with not knowing [i]what[/i] level of Loctite to use in whatever application you need it for. I used the purple Loctite on my ARMS #38. But of course I learned how to use it when I was learning to be a machinist.... The only dumb thing is not learning how to use it....I love the stuff
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:26:15 PM EDT
Loc-Tite Wars!! I have owned, built, and operated M-16's and AR's since being an infantry soldier in the VN war. I don't believe in the need to use the stuff anywhere in an AR. In 33 years I have never had a properly installed component come loose. All the stuff does is create problems when normal maintenance is required. Heating stuff up to get it apart is B.S.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:11:10 AM EDT
perhaps the us of ACETONE may be of some help i have a machinest back ground and i know for a fact that the red locktite is the strongest stuff out there..
Top Top