Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/19/2003 8:11:42 AM EDT
What does "staked on" refer to ?

I was just reading thru the Bushmaster catalog (before ordering spare parts), and it says that the "bolt carrier key must be staked on". To what does this refer. My carrier key was a little loose recently, so I tightened it with the appropriate sized allen wrench. Is this good enough ?

CKMorley
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#1]
According to the TM (downloadable from this site somewhere) the sidewalls of the carrier key are supposed to staked onto the allen screws. If they are not staked, they will come loose. If they loosen slowly, they will fatigue and break. If they loosen quickly, the rifle will start short stroking. Anyway, the TM shows how to do it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
to stake the gas key screws you need to take a center punch and swage material to physically keep the screw head from rotating under vibration/heating/cooling.

you'll see some screws staked in 2 places and others staked in 3 places per screw head.

more detail in the -23 manual:
TM9-1005-319-23&P - M16A2/M4 Maintenance (troubleshooting & repairing)
[url]http://www.mcdl.org/Manuals/Manuals/Maintenance/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:34:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the info, guys.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#4]
most importantly, those screws are supposed to be torqued down. 35-40 in/lbs, then they are staked. Staking refers to the method of keeping a screw tight. Using a punch, put it on the top of the screw, pointing down and toward the carrier metal, then give it a whack. This should put a piece of the screw head into the carrier keeping it from turning. 3 times for each screw. Don't get excessive, just a nice little ding. A maximum of .025" protrusion of metal upward is permissable.

edited: Don't go straight down, go at an angle to push metal toward the carrier. Maybe 77 degress or so. Try it on something else first to get the feel!

courtesy of USMC Tech Manual TM 05538C-23&P/2

JET
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Also check that the screws have deep enough knurling or notches to take the staking. I bought a new carrier/bolt assembly from Bushmaster at Camp Perry two years ago. After about 300 rounds, I was getting short stroking.A check of the bolt carrier showed that the gas key was loose. Although staked, both screws worked loose since the "notches" on the sides of the screw heads were nothing more than scratches. I cleaned and degreased the screws and holes. Then everything got Loctited together. 3,000 rounds later and it is still tight.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top