Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 4:48:16 AM EDT
Somehow my Bolt Catch got bent. On the top 2 corners, there are large indentions like the bolt struck it REALLY hard. The shiny metal is showing through and there's probably 1mm gouges. I took the detent out and it appears that the whole Bolt Catch is also slightly bent, making it difficult to move when it's installed.

Does anyone have an idea of why this may have happened? I know the Bolt slams into it when the magazine is empty, but I've never seen this kind of damage until this weekend. The gun still operates OK except for the bolt catch sticking sometimes because it's bent.

I guess I'll be repairing my first peice on my AR15 - after only about 3000 rounds
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:05:55 AM EDT
You're answer may lay with who made it and how they heat treated it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:57:20 AM EDT
Why? Cuz it's too soft. Probably didn't make it to heat treat. Sometimes they soft, and bend, sometimes they hard, and break, sometimes they just right and you never think about them. Replace it, then keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:14:16 PM EDT
If you have an sp1 style carrier with the angle ground in the bottom of the carrier On the last round the mag can push the bolt catch up in the groove and wedge or possibly bend it. I had one once that would hang in the groove every now and then. It never bent it though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:14:01 PM EDT
j3_ makes a good point. dramine, Is your bolt catch bent forward (toward the muzzle) or rearward (toward the butt)?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:36:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2003 2:37:18 PM EDT by dramine]
Originally Posted By Tweak: j3_ makes a good point. dramine, Is your bolt catch bent forward (toward the muzzle) or rearward (toward the butt)?
View Quote
It is bent forward. It would make more sense if it was bent rearward because the bolt obviously has alot more force going backward then forward. I wouldn't think the buffer spring could propell it nearly hard enough to bend the catch. Oh well, I will chalk it up to shitty manufacturing on J&T's part and buy another. If it happens again I will definitely do more trouble shooting.
Top Top