Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/5/2003 5:47:59 PM EDT
I have an Colt SP-1 in very good condition. The bolt carrier has a "c" near the front of it so I assume it is a Colt carrier. The bolt appears to be in excellent condition. The problem is after I load and fire the first round it fails to pick-up the next round. I tried several different magazines but it did the exact same thing with each mag. I then replaced the bolt and carrier with a generic one out of my kit and the rifle proceeded to function flawlessly with any mag.
I purchased the rifle second hand and the reciever appears to have been refinished. Although done quite nicely, a close insp will reveal minor imperfections in the body of the reciever. What I'm wondering is maybe the bolt has also been refinished after severe use and is actually worn-out even though it appears to be in good cond?

What other reason can you see that would lead to this malfunction?

thanks for your input, jp
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:56:57 AM EDT
Try replacing just the bolt to rule out a loose or leaking carrier key. The bolt needs to seal at 2 places: the rings and around the tail. Check the diameter of the tail of the bolt. I had one that measured .243 and it short stroked about 1 in 10 shots.
Top Top