Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2002 5:10:17 AM EDT
I recently purchased a new Ar and it has been a awesome rifle with no problems whatsoever. When I first disassembled the rifle to clean, I noticed that the face of the gas key on the bolt carrier appeared to be a little jagged on the edges. I really had to look to notice, however I noticed this when I ran my finger across the face of it. I don't remember any of my previous Ar's having this (don't have them anymore to compare). Will this be a problem for me in the future or am I being nit picky?
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:19:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Hope I'm right w/ my guess here, screws holding gas key to carrier are "staked" from the factory so they will not come loose. Could this possibly be what you are refering too?

Mike
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:30:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes the gas key was staked down at the factory , but what I'm talking about is the face of the key or the hole where the gas tube enters. The edges are rough to the touch and if you look close they look slightly jagged.
It apparently has not caused any problems with function, but I was wondering if this is normal or if I would need to get another gas key . I may be just being too picky
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:37:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Most look smooth like pic above from www.biggerhammer.net, but if it ain't broke I wouldn't fix it. Sounds as if gas is makin it to where it needs to be for functioning.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/boltcarrier_c_stamping.jpg

Most look smooth like pic above from www.biggerhammer.net, but if it ain't broke I wouldn't fix it. Sounds as if gas is makin it to where it needs to be for functioning.

Mike

Thanks Mike.
If I have any future problems (cycling etc.) and it was apparent that the gas key was the cause. Would it be a easy fix to change gas keys? I was just wondering. But I will follow your advise and not do anything now because the rifle functions perfect so far...
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Check the edge of the gas tube where it would contact the key. Any signs of hitting there? Remove the bolt and slide the bolt carrier forward. It should go over the gas tube with almost no impact felt. If any misalignment, CAREFULLY bend the gas tube to center it with the gas key.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 4:44:30 AM EDT
[#6]
A rough edge is either due to hitting the gas tube (and thus checking the rear of the tube is the right answer) or damage when it was outside the rifle.

Loose screws might allow the key to hit the tube.  

If it's all tight I'd let it alone and just shoot.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top