Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Jeez, talk about a waste of money. I'm not trying to rag on you but what you're going to have at the end of the build is NO WHERE near what you should have for what you spent. I'd return everything and start over. whatever hit you take on restocking fee's will be nothing compared to the overpriced/hodge podge you will be left with. I mean seriously, Strike Industries and "No budget" should never be in the same sentence...
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jeez, talk about a waste of money. I'm not trying to rag on you but what you're going to have at the end of the build is NO WHERE near what you should have for what you spent. I'd return everything and start over. whatever hit you take on restocking fee's will be nothing compared to the overpriced/hodge podge you will be left with. I mean seriously, Strike Industries and "No budget" should never be in the same sentence...
View Quote
I dont get it, I heard good things about Strike industries stuff?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Listen to the people man. I almost made your mistake. Don't waste $3000 on an AR.  You can get much cooler stuff for cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you want to stay local, more Granite Ridge less Shooters Outpost.  They are great for looking but not a fan of their prices or ID for a mag thing.
View Quote
Yeah Shooters is overpriced, nice store, but i usually go elsewhere. Was just in there browsing for SnGs and saw some things i wanted so figured id pick them up.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I dont get it, I heard good things about Strike industries stuff?
View Quote
..."designed in the USA and proudly made in Taiwan...not China"

can't make this shit up

You really should have just picked up a Colt 6920 OEM for like $700 and built everything off that; or went with an Aero M4E1 Upper/lower set and built off that if you wanted teh cuztom.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For me at least, it's not that his rifle's expensive - like I said, my SBR will be past his budget by the time it's done.

It's that he's dropping all this on his first AR. As I'm sure most of us are well aware, your first AR rarely ever stays how you build it, because the more you work with and shoot the thing you'll learn more precisely what you like. I do hope that OP loves the hell out of this thing, because I don't want to see him end up with $4k into a $1500 rifle and a big box of parts to get sold at a 50% loss on the EE.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's supporting the industry... Nothing wrong with that. Pick your parts, build it how you like!

I work in the manufacturing industry. The way people complain about prices here and what's considered "expensive" is just insane.
For me at least, it's not that his rifle's expensive - like I said, my SBR will be past his budget by the time it's done.

It's that he's dropping all this on his first AR. As I'm sure most of us are well aware, your first AR rarely ever stays how you build it, because the more you work with and shoot the thing you'll learn more precisely what you like. I do hope that OP loves the hell out of this thing, because I don't want to see him end up with $4k into a $1500 rifle and a big box of parts to get sold at a 50% loss on the EE.
I'm really waiting for this gun at half price on ee
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]
For real guys, whats wrong with the Faxon 16" gunner barrel? I saw great reviews and videos on them. Do i need to get a $541 Noveske barrel to get thumbs up? or will a DD CHF or Rainier Arms Barrel get some thumbs up?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it's the point that spending thousands on an AR15 is pretty much a waste unless there is some specific goal like some kind of clone correct rifle or the most lightweight AR15 possible.  Otherwise, it's just an AR15 and they are cheap.

I almost dropped $2000+ on a KAC rifle.  The good folks on this board got my mind right thank god. I'm building a MK18 clone for a lot less.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think it's the point that spending thousands on an AR15 is pretty much a waste unless there is some specific goal like some kind of clone correct rifle or the most lightweight AR15 possible.  Otherwise, it's just an AR15 and they are cheap.

I almost dropped $2000+ on a KAC rifle.  The good folks on this board got my mind right thank god. I'm building a MK18 clone for a lot less.
View Quote
oh ok i see. I just wanted to make it 100% mine. and build it part by part. couldve saved alot by going forged recievers, but because i went billet, that was a chunk of the build.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#10]
deleted

If you can't say something nice...  
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For real guys, whats wrong with the Faxon 16" gunner barrel? I saw great reviews and videos on them. Do i need to get a $541 Noveske barrel to get thumbs up? or will a DD CHF or Rainier Arms Barrel get some thumbs up?
View Quote
Don’t get all defensive , you made the thread.  At the emd of the day you (presumably) impusle bought whatever was in stock and now you have a entry level franken-build that really is just a $3000 plinker.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

oh ok i see. I just wanted to make it 100% mine. and build it part by part. couldve saved alot by going forged recievers, but because i went billet, that was a chunk of the build.
View Quote
Sure, but how do you know you'll even like it if it's your first AR?  My MK18 build is my first AR15 as well.  The difference is that if I don't like it, it's still a bad ass MK18 clone rifle and not just a bunch of parts thrown together.

I think that's what people here are trying to say.  I would listen to the advice they offer.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don’t get all defensive , you made the thread.  At the emd of the day you (presumably) impusle bought whatever was in stock and now you have a entry level franken-build that really is just a $3000 plinker.
View Quote
I'm not getting mad, i just want a straight answer. What should i replace the faxon barrel with?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#14]
What is/was the intended use of this rifle?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Keep what you have if you already bought it. My Larue barrel at $199 shoots on par with my Noveske SS barrels. (77gr Federal Match)

I just assembled another upper: BCM4 Upper receiver, 18" Larue Stealth barrel, Geissele MK13 14" rail, Mil-Spec BCG, Radian Raptor charging handle

Approximately $600 total by buying parts from vendors (mostly 3rd party) when they run sales & they will be having sales coming for Thanksgiving/Black Friday.

Wait it out, make a plan & watch the sales.

BTW, Last time I was up in your neck of the woods, Riley's had a good selection of parts & prices were better than Shooters but that was awhile ago.

Edit: Don't pass up the deal on the Larue MBT, well worth the money & I own a few Geissele's
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get a thumbs up. You need our approval?!? Tactical ninja is strong with you.

Hate to brake it to you but there is nothing special about your build.

CHF barrel should be standard on any serious rifle but man for the money you are spending. You can get a serious rifle like the several we have mentioned that will perform better and hold value. Your Frankenstein AR will never fetch above $850 at max.

I’ll take forged receiver over billet any day of the week. P

Honestly...you can get a better setup through PSA for $1000. Heck. I have a Ruger SR556VT with scope for $1000 that is a better platform than your build list.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Keep what you have if you already bought it. My Larue barrel at $199 shoots on par with my Noveske SS barrels. (77gr Federal Match)

I just assembled another upper: BCM4 Upper receiver, 18" Larue Stealth barrel, Geissele MK13 14" rail, Mil-Spec BCG, Radian Raptor charging handle

Approximately $600 total by buying parts from vendors (mostly 3rd party) when they run sales & they will be having sales coming for Thanksgiving/Black Friday.

Wait it out, make a plan & watch the sales.

http://i67.tinypic.com/1z1hj88.jpg

Thank you sir

BTW, Last time I was up in your neck of the woods, Riley's had a good selection of parts & prices were better than Shooters but that was awhile ago.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Get a thumbs up. You need our approval?!? Tactical ninja is strong with you.

Hate to brake it to you but there is nothing special about your build.

CHF barrel should be standard on any serious builds.

Honestly...you can get a better setup through PSA for $1000. Heck. I have a Ruger SR556VT with scope for $1000 that is a better platform than your build list
View Quote
Billet reciever pretty much ate up most the build, cut that for forged and save 300. your opinion.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Billet is weaker than forged. It’s just a fancy name to charge folks more money.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Billet reciever pretty much ate up most the build, cut that for forged and save 300. your opinion.
View Quote
Save the $$$

PM Sent!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For what it's worth, this is the "battle rifle" parts list i came up with

16” DD CHF Midlength $289

ok

Spike’s crusader lower $115

Anderson ghost $45
BCM MCMR 15” $199

Midwest industries 130
LPK $49

fine
Geissele SSA $240

G2S same as ssa but $50 less
Super 42 $65

unnecessary
Buffer tube $50

$35 max
Magpul SLS $70

ok
Gas block $89

$30. you don't want adjustable for "battle rifle"
Gas tube $22

$10
Cherry Bomb $80

ok if you're planning on using with their can
Lantac ebcg $270

Bcm or dd doesn't even cost that much
Ambi selector $48

only if you're left handed
Spikes upper assy $104

fine

Can get most on Primary Arms.
Total: $1,690
View Quote
Save money where you can cause you'll have to budget for optics/mount/buis/white light. That'll run you another $1000 for a quality set up
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Save money where you can cause you'll have to budget for optics/mount/buis/white light. That'll run you another $1000 for a quality set up
View Quote
QFT: Careful shopping & you can do quite well with this.

I bought an Aimpoint Pro on sale for $315, A LNIB Nightforce Mil/Mil Zero Stop NXS 2.5-10X32 with Nightforce mount for $1100 The deals are out there to be had.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Honestly, the Faxon is the least concern here. Probably one of the better parts options. They're a great barrel if you're working towards a lightweight build, but they aren't top tier - that's what Noveske and such is. If you're dropping "no budget" builds, faxon isn't one of the names you're generally going to see, though for every other build they're more than good enough.

It may hurt your pride, but that guy who recommended that you return everything and eat the restocking fees wasn't really wrong. If your parts are already off for coating or if you've gotten rid of all the packaging, then you're pretty much SOL, so I hope that you do enjoy your rig. But the fact is that your first rifle is rarely your last, and rarely does it stay the way you set it up. I'm on my third rifle now and it's on it's umpteenth configuration between lights, foregrips, optics, etc. I've gone through two triggers, one BCG, and a charging handle with it. I don't care much what your rifle looks like, aesthetics are personal. I just don't want to see you be one of the many people that ends up going big on their first gun, realizing that it's a very non-optimal setup for them and they're uses, and spending 150-400% of what they should have so now they've no money left for actually shooting the thing, let alone getting training with it. We'd rather see you swallow your pride on your first build and get a budget build that you can slowly and piece by piece grow with in usage and preference, adding parts as you recognize what you want and need. In the end, you may replace every single part on the rifle. But then you'll have one gun that's what you want, one beater rifle, and you'll still have spent less money than this setup.

If it wasn't your first build, you'd probably be getting half the ribbing that you are. But this is ARFCOM, and we're a big fan of blunt love rather than roundabout politeness.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think I built one with a stainless barrell for about $500... I'm happy.
View Quote
My lightweight gun was just over $400, I’ve added a few things to is adding $150 or so to its cost. Not sure I’d ever brag about building a $3000 frankenrifle unless it performed physical favors too.

My build cheapo build:

Anderson stripped lower $25
CMMG LPK $25
PSA stainless upper 1/2 $200
Refield mount $16
Leupold AR Mod 1 $4
JMT trigger $50
THM 4302MB $75
Magpul CTR stock $30
MOE pistol grip $12

Most of those crazy prices are from industry promos. But crazy light and accurate.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Honestly, the Faxon is the least concern here. Probably one of the better parts options. They're a great barrel if you're working towards a lightweight build, but they aren't top tier - that's what Noveske and such is. If you're dropping "no budget" builds, faxon isn't one of the names you're generally going to see, though for every other build they're more than good enough.

It may hurt your pride, but that guy who recommended that you return everything and eat the restocking fees wasn't really wrong.....
View Quote
Unfortunately the Receiver, and handguard are already off getting coated. Everything else I still have in packaging.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Unfortunately the Receiver, and handguard are already off getting coated. Everything else I still have in packaging.
View Quote
Then you're $680 into this build. Not including the can, you can go get $1,435 back.

The barrel may be worth keeping as well, depending on what exactly you want this build to be used for. Cherry Bomb I think will come with the suppressor, so just use an A2 until then. There's a few other parts in there that aren't necessarily bad choices, but you just need to know what you want to do with the gun to figure out whether or not it'll be a good idea. If you know what exactly you want to be doing with this, I and others here would be happy to help optimize your parts list to your intentions.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Noveske barrel for $541? They’re cheaper than that and they come with the pinned gas block and tube.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#28]
There's nothing wrong with a Faxon barrel. The point is a high priced AR should focus on the barrel and trigger, not the instagram parts. More money doesn't mean higher quality, but it's your rifle, so if you want a fancy looking one go for it.

Don't spend that much on a "battle rifle". Spend more money on mags and ammo, then optics.

You can get that spikes lower for $80 shipped on sale.

Geissele triggers are significantly cheaper every time there's a good sale going on. So are mags and ammo.

I don't see the point in ambi selectors for most people. Seems like one more unnecessary part to break.

I'll take three tool craft BCGs over one of those lantacs any day of the week.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There's nothing wrong with a Faxon barrel. The point is a high priced AR should focus on the barrel and trigger, not the instagram parts. More money doesn't mean higher quality, but it's your rifle, so if you want a fancy looking one go for it.

Don't spend that much on a "battle rifle". Spend more money on mags and ammo, then optics.

Geissele triggers are significantly cheaper every time there's a good sale going on. So are mags and ammo.

I don't see the point in ambi selectors for most people. Seems like one more unnecessary part to break.

View Quote
What sites should i keep an eye on for the sales?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with the Faxon Gunner Barrel, in fact it would be one of my go to barrels on an $800 budget build.   They are extremely high quality for their price and one of the best values on the market.

That said you framed your post as a no budget build and bought tons of expensive accessories that don't really matter, and than went cheap on the most important part of your rifle, the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with the Faxon Gunner Barrel, in fact it would be one of my go to barrels on an $800 budget build.   They are extremely high quality for their price and one of the best values on the market.

That said you framed your post as a no budget build and bought tons of expensive accessories that don't really matter, and than went cheap on the most important part of your rifle, the barrel.
View Quote
Fair enough. By no budget i really mean i wasnt worried about the prices of the things i was buying. I based my purchase on the Faxon off reviews, not knowing what i was doing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Primary arms is usually where I look for geissele sales, I assume Black Friday will be the next.

I've picked up several spikes lowers for $80 from aim surplus.

Right to bear has good deals as well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Fair enough. By no budget i really mean i wasnt worried about the prices of the things i was buying. I based my purchase on the Faxon off reviews, not knowing what i was doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You bought a good barrel. Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Spent the same $ for a BCG as he did for a barrel
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 3:39:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Truth be told I’m not hating on the barrel. I use Ballistic Advantage almost exclusively now. Between their accuracy guarantee, price, and performance so far...I see no reason to use anything else (unless looking for specific profile/length/gas setup). I’ve used everything from BA to Rainer, BCM, Noveske and dollar for dollar I’m most pleased with BA.

My mantra after poor experiences with BCM is I try to buy parts that are sold by the ACTUAL manufacturer, not a company rebranding. To each is own but so far my experiences have been far better. Exception being Rainier Arms .308 barrel, that thing is AWESOME and consistent .75-.90 MOA with Aero M5 enhanced build.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:09:25 AM EDT
[#37]
For three K, I feel like you could a lot better.

Also if you’re buying a trash panda you don’t need to buy a cherry bomb as it comes with two. So I saved you 80 bucks already.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Hold my beer OP...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

That said, you can build a very "cool" AR with a Geissele handguard, Fail Zero NiB BCG, BA barrel and Larue trigger for under $1000. I've done this a few years in a row using the Black Friday sales.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#39]
It's really impressive to reach a price tag that high without having a single piece of Knight's gear on the build sheet.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hold my beer OP...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/0A9FE012-B6B4-4733-B65F-A79E2D106B1A_jpeg-702364.JPG

That said, you can build a very "cool" AR with a Geissele handguard, Fail Zero NiB BCG, BA barrel and Larue trigger for under $1000. I've done this a few years in a row using the Black Friday sales.
View Quote
Clone builds scare me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Truth be told I’m not hating on the barrel. I use Ballistic Advantage almost exclusively now. Between their accuracy guarantee, price, and performance so far...I see no reason to use anything else (unless looking for specific profile/length/gas setup). I’ve used everything from BA to Rainer, BCM, Noveske and dollar for dollar I’m most pleased with BA.

My mantra after poor experiences with BCM is I try to buy parts that are sold by the ACTUAL manufacturer, not a company rebranding. To each is own but so far my experiences have been far better. Exception being Rainier Arms .308 barrel, that thing is AWESOME and consistent .75-.90 MOA with Aero M5 enhanced build.
View Quote
BA has great barrels...for the money...they are awesome.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
You need to be on the mailing lists & FB for the following:

I have dealt with all of them & they are good to go!

https://sharkarms.com/

https://geissele.com/

https://www.aimsurplus.com/ good for BCM parts priced cheaper than BCM

https://www.larue.com/

https://www.rainierarms.com/

www.primaryarms.com

www.joeboboutfitters.com/

www.vsevenweaponsystems.com (lightweight parts)

www.righttobear.com

https://dsgarms.com

https://www.dsarms.com/c-671-ar15-m16-parts.aspx

https://www.andersonmanufacturing.com/

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15.html
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hold my beer OP...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/0A9FE012-B6B4-4733-B65F-A79E2D106B1A_jpeg-702364.JPG

View Quote
Found one of my sub $1K builds...

BA barrel
Geissele handguard
FZ NiB BCG
Larue trigger
Magpul MBUS Pro
Raptor CH
B5 SOPMOD buttstock

Like I said earlier, catch the BF sales and it is easy to build a "high-end" AR on a budget.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Found one of my sub $1K builds...

BA barrel
Geissele handguard
FZ NiB BCG
Larue trigger
Magpul MBUS Pro
Raptor CH
B5 SOPMOD buttstock

Like I said earlier, catch the BF sales and it is easy to build a "high-end" AR.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/Sub1000_jpg-702431.JPG
View Quote
Honestly...Geissele's barrel nut is one of the greatest improvements one can add to a regular AR type upper receiver...it the most rigid one out there...
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Found another one of my old builds. This one was right around $800. Green Mountain SS barrelled tack driver.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some people are still stuck on Chrome lining.  Although chrome lined is the military clone it is not as long lasting, accurate or as corrosion resistant as Nitride. The Faxon Nitride barrel is probably an excellent choice. Paying more money for an inferior chrome lined/ parked barrel finish is silly by today's standards unless your trying to build a semi auto clone of a military weapon, IMO.
Although your rifle was expensive and not for everyone, it's what you wanted and that's the important part.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#47]
You guys are harsh, but I understand.

I'm a cheap bastard with champagne taste, so I'm constantly checking the EE on this board and others looking for used or deeply discounted stuff.

OP,

Build whatever you want, but understand you'll take a beating if you decide to sell this build sometime down the road.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Found another one of my old builds. This one was right around $800. Green Mountain SS barrelled tack driver.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/Sub__800_jpg-702441.JPG
View Quote
How's the green mountain barrel? They're local, saw their stuff and debated on it before I started ordering.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Q suppressor was a good buy.
$2000 for the rest

Should’ve gone KAC or Radian. Really should’ve just gone Colt, Aero Precision or even PSA for a first rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How's the green mountain barrel? They're local, saw their stuff and debated on it before I started ordering.
View Quote
Every bit as good as my Noveske barrels. That said, a better shooter than me could probably detect any differences in accuracy. I've only stacked holes at 100 yards with it.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top