Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2017 12:02:18 AM EDT
This is a BCM factory gun that needs a new barrel.  I have a dpms panther claw but it seems like trying to remove a BCM barrel nut with this thing being supported by the take down pins may not be a great idea.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  I guess I will get the wheelers vice block.  I assume I should ditch this dpms block?
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#4]
As posted above, the BEV Block works very well for the typical hobbyist AR cranker. Arnzen Arms sells their version of a reaction rod device for around $75 which is half what the NAME BRAND model sells for. There are several upper receiver clamshell blocks out there as well. My preference has been for the RR and Bev Block. Have built a metric ton of uppers over the last few years using them with no issues.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 11:32:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Wheeler clamp and the Brownells action rod.
I use either as needed.
The rod can take more force.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.  I guess I will get the wheelers vice block.  I assume I should ditch this dpms block?
View Quote
I would.

I dont like the wheelers block. Have to remove optic to use it.

Never used the BEV block, but I want one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I used a clamshell vice block holder when taking off my 14.5" BCM barrel when I put on a low profile gas block.   It worked fine, but I had to put some significant arse behind it to get it off.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 12:36:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 2:41:46 AM EDT
[#9]
dont waste money on a name brand clam shell vice block, just buy the cheapest one you find one ebay should be around $10, they all work the same its just a piece of plastic, and it doesnt need to be super precisely build to work
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 2:46:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
dont waste money on a name brand clam shell vice block, just buy the cheapest one you find one ebay should be around $10, they all work the same its just a piece of plastic, and it doesnt need to be super precisely build to work
View Quote
Dude the wheeler one is 20$. Most of them don't even have the BCG insert.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 3:05:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Have a heat gun handy to get that barrel out easily. BCM undersizes their barrel extension. Little heat will help.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 3:49:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I started using 2x4 pieces with the upper horizontal. rotated 90 degrees on the long axis. Pain to set up but it is cheap!
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Have a heat gun handy to get that barrel out easily. BCM undersizes their barrel extension. Little heat will help.
View Quote
Or a lot of heat is needed.

Be sure you have a good heat gun to heat the receiver to expand it or the barrel isn't coming off. Easier to install, removal is tricky because you only want to heat the receiver.

I love BCM undersized uppers. I do.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Be careful torquing down the barrel nut and muzzle device using a clam shell.   I use a bev block for that to prevent any unnecessary stress on the upper.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#15]
4x4 with hole home made bbl blocks and some leather for me for all bbl work. Been doing that way for a very long time, even taught that way in M16 TM.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Be careful torquing down the barrel nut and muzzle device using a clam shell.   I use a bev block for that to prevent any unnecessary stress on the upper.
View Quote
Clam shells are fine for installing/removing barrel nuts but using them to install/remove muzzle devices is a really bad idea.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Clam shell for barrel nuts, barrel vise blocks for flash hider work.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And that insert is important to help prevent crushing the upper with too much vise force.

For muzzle end work, always grip there, not back at the receiver.  I've always wrapped a strip of old belt leather around the barrel just behind the muzzle threads and gripped hard in my bench vise.  Effective and free.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I made some wood blocks with barrel cut out grooves for muzzle device installs.  BCM barrel but came off super easy with my shop tools, heat, and the wheel upper vice clamp kit.  Used a 3 foot snap on bar to remove but put little force on nut before it was free.  BCM barrel was harder to removed.  Too bad the larue barrel going in has a poor fit.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top