Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/5/2017 6:41:01 PM EDT
I have a mini mill with a 3" screwless vise, and I'm having some issues clamping a forged 80% lower. The first thing I've noticed is the forging isn't really square or flat, which makes getting a good grip on it somewhat difficult. I've been trying to grip the two sides of the receiver, right before the safe/fire stops, but it's been a struggle to get it squared up.

I'm considering clamping the trigger guard/grip area on the forging like in this video:
https://youtu.be/PiOxuRwcGiM?t=15m36s

Although I might need to, I really don't want to buy a jig just so I can put it in a vise.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Cut some makeshift softjaws out of alumnium?
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking of buying the TM jig side plates to make it easier; they're only $40:

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-jigs/80-ar15-jigs/ar-15-side-plates-gen-2-unanodized.html
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
The only correct way to do it is with a jig, now you could make blocks, but trying to do a lower without a jig is not as easy as you might think it is, do you have DRO's on your mill, if not, you will turn out a mess and probably end up with a non usable lower.  If you have DRO's then make two plates to fit the magwell and then clamp in the vise so you have a stable platform to work with.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have DROs, and I've already done a couple lowers without a jig that came out ok, but it's just really annoying. Plus, I don't want lowers that just come out "ok", I want lowers that come out perfect.

Do you know if the jigs can be used without the top plates?
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
*snip*

Do you know if the jigs can be used without the top plates?
View Quote
I have the TM jig, that's exactly what I do and have a 5" vise.  It's a lot more difficult with a 3" vise.   The jig side plates make it a lot easier.  I have made my own work holdings and they work fine.  But since I have the jig, it just makes sense to use it.

Sorry, I don't have the patience to edit video.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]
A couple of flat plates with relief in the proper places will do it. I made these......

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A couple of flat plates with relief in the proper places will do it. I made these......
View Quote
Looks a lot like the basic drill press jigs...  
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:56:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is my setup  on my Taig CNC Mill in my Kurt D40 4 inch milling vise.
I use TM Gen. 1 jigs. and  Kant twist clamps.

Here is a pic of my mill doing the Peck drill of the hammer and trigger pin holes

Here is my setup when milling out the FCG pocket.

I have use this setup for both Forged and Billet lower without any problems or modifying of the jigs!

hth,
Ca_Longshot
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#10]
1-2-3 blocks and a set of parallels.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I use my 80% Arms side plates in both the Haas CNC and Bridgeport at work with no top plate needed. I set it on a set of parallels and it works great.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Today was my first time using the TM side plates. Oh my goodness, they made clamping in the vise sooooooo much easier. It came out really well too. Worth every single penny.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top