Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2017 1:03:49 AM EDT
I have seen some people using grease like AeroShell 33MS for example for barrel and buffer installation. I was just curious what the purpose of using the grease is.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:17:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Helps prevent galling and corrosion between two dissimilar metals, i.e. aluminum upper and steel barrel nut.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:29:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Helps prevent galling and corrosion between two dissimilar metals, i.e. aluminum upper and steel barrel nut.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:47:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't use it on the buffer tube, no reason to, I do use it on the barrel installation, keeps them from sticking as well as the torque to even out when you are tightening the barrel which is a dissimilar metal.  Now I use lubrication on most bolts I put together, unless it is specifically stated don't oil when tightening.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:50:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
The torque spec also assumes that it is there, so the torque value would not be correct if it wasn't.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:54:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't use it on the buffer tube, no reason to, I do use it on the barrel installation, keeps them from sticking as well as the torque to even out when you are tightening the barrel which is a dissimilar metal.  Now I use lubrication on most bolts I put together, unless it is specifically stated don't oil when tightening.
View Quote
Gotcha, so just on dissimilar metal. Makes sense. I have seen people use it on the buffer tube but couldn't understand why.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Gotcha, so just on dissimilar metal. Makes sense. I have seen people use it on the buffer tube but couldn't understand why.
View Quote
Because it is in the tech manual.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Because it is in the tech manual.
View Quote
Yes, Yes it is, but I still don't put grease on the buffer tube threads and I didn't when I worked in the armory when I was in the Army either.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, Yes it is, but I still don't put grease on the buffer tube threads and I didn't when I worked in the armory when I was in the Army either.
View Quote
Colt doesn't seem to use it on the buffer tube threads either.

I do apply grease to the buffer tube threads myself though, even if for no other reason than it being very soothing for my OCD.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I use nickel anti-seize when mounting barrels, but do not "lube" up buffer tubes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I use copper anti-seize for barrel nuts.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use copper anti-seize for barrel nuts.
View Quote
Why the copper?  I used the aluminum.  Came off not easily but smoothly after 1500 -2000 rounds.
I had no idea there were so many types of anti-seize.  copper, nickel, aluminum, graphite, marine, food grade, high temp, low temp, water proof, etc.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#13]
That's funny, I just took the buffer tube off a complete LMT lower and it had grease on the threads. I thought that was odd.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 2:04:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Colt doesn't seem to use it on the buffer tube threads either.

I do apply grease to the buffer tube threads myself though, even if for no other reason than it being very soothing for my OCD.
View Quote

soothing for my OCD

Bingo. Winner.   I do to.  OCD the struggle is real.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I always grease threaded fittings.
I use the mil-spec grease for barrel and RE installation.
The torque specs are based on greased threads.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why the copper?  I used the aluminum.  Came off not easily but smoothly after 1500 -2000 rounds.
I had no idea there were so many types of anti-seize.  copper, nickel, aluminum, graphite, marine, food grade, high temp, low temp, water proof, etc.
View Quote
Just don't use graphite. It attacks aluminum (your upper and lowers)
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I put a dab of AeroShell 33MS on the threads of both the buffer tube and barrel nut
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I grease the buffer tube spring, lowers the SPRONG level.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#19]
The original reason is mechanical, for proper torque. The chemistry of corrosion protection is a side effect and a consideration in choosing the type of lube in order to obtain the mechanical purpose.

The Aeroshell product is the "go to" choice within the AR community, because it is what is specified in the military manual. It is, by no means, the only proven option, and there are potentially better choices out there. If you want to deviate from that, though, do some research on your own. This, and other forums, have debated the issue of which "anti-seize" lubes to use on numerous occasions, and have struggled to achieve much more than perpetuating rumors and half-truths. All while failing to find a consensus opinion of what is best.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The original reason is mechanical, for proper torque. The chemistry of corrosion protection is a side effect and a consideration in choosing the type of lube in order to obtain the mechanical purpose.

All while failing to find a consensus opinion of what is best.
View Quote
It is difficult to find a consensus of what is "Best" when in truth there is no best, but there are a hell of a lot of good products on the market that have been working for a long time now.  The Aeroshell became the "It" product because it worked well and it was the lowest price on the bidder list when the military was writing the manual.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#22]
This is what I've been using for decades for the bbl nut and a dab on the RE. Cheap and no graphite.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top