Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2017 10:53:15 AM EDT
Took advantage of KAK's BF sale to buy a barrel and picked up one of these as well:

Mike's Tool aka Hammer Trigger Pin Alignment Tool

Made short work of installing a mil-spec trigger group. As in seconds. Tool is tapered on the end.

(I know some folks use a roll pin punch but I thought I'd invest in this one since it was inexpensive)
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#1]
It's been awhile since I built my last 2 lowers, but I believe I used a roll pin punch to achieve the same goal, with the pin following the punch as a guide, as the punch is removed.
Edit:
Ah, I just read you statement in ( ). I went right to your link before.
The right tool for the right job as they say, but the punch works great, and I already have a set for assembly of the lower.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
When I bought a QMS trigger, it came with a slave pin for installation.  Worked fine.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Honestly I have never understood why I would put a pin through to put a pin through. Might as well just put the one that goes there first. The hammer is only one part and there is no difference in difficulty installing a pin.

You can make a pin the width of the trigger and put the parts together outside the lower drop the group in and slide the correct pin through while pushing out the dummy pin if you find it difficult to align the parts.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah that's one thing I've never particularly felt the need for a special tool but I guess if you have problems with it and the tool makes it easier more power to you
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I have several slave pins for this job now. I love the KAK Walt's Tool though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I made a slave pin out of a #23 drill bit I had laying around. Works perfect.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 4:49:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a roll pin to align everything. I think the trigger installation is one of the easier parts of an AR builds. I'd say the hardest would be the forward assist install or A1 rear sight roll pin install.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd say the hardest would be the forward assist.
View Quote
Wheeler's armorer's bench block turns that into a 30-second task. The downside is that this block is a spendy piece of polymer.

On dale at MidwayUSA
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Unless a true slave pin like j3 describes above, pins for the AR FCG require a couple of things.

1. A tapered end.  This corrects misalignment easily.
2. The other end to be as close as possible to .154 for a smooth chase with the actual trigger or hammer pin.

Both are important for the purpose of making assembly easier.

Also, ~4" gives you enough leverage to keep alignment as you pull the guide pin while pushing the actual pin.

Pins I made years ago from 5/32 drill rod
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wheeler's armorer's bench block turns that into a 30-second task. The downside is that this block is a spendy piece of polymer.

On dale at MidwayUSA
View Quote
Interesting, how does this help? The hard part for me is to hold the roll pin, punch, and push in the button. This block doesn't look like it pushes in the forward assist
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Interesting, how does this help? The hard part for me is to hold the roll pin, punch, and push in the button. This block doesn't look like it pushes in the forward assist
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On dale at MidwayUSA
Look at the pics on the left side of the screen. Click on the second picture down from the top. It shows how it works.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Look at the pics on the left side of the screen. Click on the second picture down from the top. It shows how it works.
View Quote
Didn't see that
.... You have no memory of my past comment
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Actually, it does!
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Block looks handy. On sale too.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Actually, it does!
View Quote
... Again no memory of my past comment

I usually duct tape the forward assist in and hammer in the roll pin. I'm pretty damn cheap. I've paid less than 75$ on all my ar tools, 35$ if you don't count my roll pin punches
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 12:08:30 AM EDT
[#16]
the block works great and I have had mine for years now.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top