Page / 2
Posted: 11/28/2017 9:57:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 11:59:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for results update.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#2]
In

What brand or manufacture 80% lowers are you using. Are they "biilet " or typical forged?

I have seriously been considering a jig and router setup for myself for my own 'to me' Christmas present.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:33:14 AM EDT
[#3]
In! Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing the results.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 1:09:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks now I need to work more OT.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 1:30:28 AM EDT
[#5]
You can't even browse the internet these days with dialup anymore. I mean imagine going on facebook on dialup. It would take longer to load the site than it would take to drive to town with real internet...
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 3:22:14 AM EDT
[#7]
@PursuitSS
I have the same router, so what is the setting speed you like to be at when doing your lowers.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 2:42:07 AM EDT
[#10]
PursuitSS,

Have you done any additional lowers with this jig yet?

I am curious if the new end mill setup does in fact lead to a longer life, and if so, how many lowers one might expect it to last. This proprietary setup is the only drawback I see. Even though you can change out the end mill, it does take a bit of time with the cooling involved. With the standard setup, its pretty quick to change out and get back to work.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#11]
What's the vacuum hose size?
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 4:54:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I was looking at the Easy Jig Gen 2 because the end mill is universal. I almost ordered, but there is a 3 week backorder on the jigs.

I just put an order on the PRO jig and ReadyMILL. Hopefully I can get to working on my lower soon.

Thanks for the write up!

Edit: I asked if jig was in stock and they said backlog in orders and 10 business day wait. I should've bought it during the holiday sales.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn you, PursiutSS. You convinced me to jump on this PRO. I had the previous version but have now sold it off and ordered the PRO a few days ago.

Cost wise compared to the new 80% Arms Easy Jig Gen 2, it is only like $25 more.

For tooling, the complete ReadyMill bits are only $5 more than the regular 1/4" shank end mills. Even if you don't plan to fit a new replacement bit, the longevity of the new design likely will make up for that small cost.

Are the ones you have done been 6061 or 7075? Are you going every hash mark on the depth, or half way for each pass? About how long does it take now?
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#17]
45 minutes is not bad at all. I will likely do half cuts, but good to know that even full cuts are so nice. I forgot to order an extra ReadyMill, just to have on hand. Still a couple weeks before I expect delivery of the jig anyway.

A couple things I really like with the PRO:
The notches in the side plates for clamping in a vise. Much more solid and trouble free looking than the previous version with the side screw.
Switching between AR15/9 and AR10 set ups. No need to undo the side plates, only the front take down plate, and the buffer plate (which you have to loosen anyway).
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info. I made a couple of lowers with the Modulus HD jig but just ordered the 5D Pro which should be here Tuesday. The Modulus jig works great but I’m fascinated by how the inside of those lowers look so......I’m letting my OCD get the best of me. Merry Christmas to me. I can’t wait to get my hands in it.

Going forward I’m trying to do it all, start to finish. I bought lowers in the white, a small sandblasting cabinet, am experimenting with electro-etching, and want to try different finishes. I have all the equipment to try cerakoting.

Check out this guy. He tried to mangle a lower with the 5D jig and a bad bearing but it still made a kickass lower. I guess it really is idiot proof.

Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Just ordered the pro , 8-10 days before they ship :( they do offer a 10% military discount. Can't wait to try it out... got a 80% cerro lower from right to bear arms for 45$ looks really nice going to order more if it turns out good
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#20]
What model Dewalt is that? I'm getting ready to order and need to know which letter to order.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Well I got my pro jig and new makita router today and got all the way through the milling after fighteing the router depth adjustment the entire time,  don't why but it wouldn't adjust worth a crap. Any way went to drill the holes and while drilling the saftey selector I noticed the the buffer tube adapter came loose and no I have slight ridge in the selector hole..... this blows, so be sure to check over things and make sure nothing comes loose......
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:45:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:57:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:14:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I got my pro jig and new makita router today and got all the way through the milling after fighteing the router depth adjustment the entire time,  don't why but it wouldn't adjust worth a crap. Any way went to drill the holes and while drilling the saftey selector I noticed the the buffer tube adapter came loose and no I have slight ridge in the selector hole..... this blows, so be sure to check over things and make sure nothing comes loose......
View Quote
I had some difficulty adjusting the Makita within the first stage of cuts.

I have to look over the setup procedures again because I managed to drill the trigger and hammer pins offset.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 1:39:34 AM EDT
[#25]
The Bosch hand held routers are a bit of a PITA when you first start cutting. You have to take the base OFF the router, turn it to fit back on the end of the router housing and make DAMN sure to keep the clamp tight! check it for about the first 3-4 passes, definitely. Like the OP, I have been enjoying the 5D jig. 8 lowers so far...
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm using a DeWalt DWP611 - it uses a Size B

Sizing Guide:

A
Bosch PR10E
Bosch PR20EV
DeWalt DWE6000
Porter Cable 6430
Porter Cable 6435
Rigid R24012

B
Craftsman 28212
DeWalt DWP611
Porter Cable 450

C
Makita RT0701C

D (COMING SOON - FULL SIZE ROUTER COMPATIBILITY)
Bosch 1617EV
Bosch 1617EVS
Craftsman 2767
Craftsman 27683
Craftsman 50429
DeWalt DW616
DeWalt DW618
Hitachi M12VC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What model Dewalt is that? I'm getting ready to order and need to know which letter to order.
I'm using a DeWalt DWP611 - it uses a Size B

Sizing Guide:

A
Bosch PR10E
Bosch PR20EV
DeWalt DWE6000
Porter Cable 6430
Porter Cable 6435
Rigid R24012

B
Craftsman 28212
DeWalt DWP611
Porter Cable 450

C
Makita RT0701C

D (COMING SOON - FULL SIZE ROUTER COMPATIBILITY)
Bosch 1617EV
Bosch 1617EVS
Craftsman 2767
Craftsman 27683
Craftsman 50429
DeWalt DW616
DeWalt DW618
Hitachi M12VC
Thank you. Ordered the jig pro, the dewalt 611, a 4 inch drill press vice, a 80% lower, 2 c-clamps and cutting oil. Ill post what I can do with it sometime next week. I appreciate ALL the help I can get and am reading everything I can now.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Who did you order this lower from
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thank you. Ordered the jig pro, the dewalt 611, a 4 inch drill press vice, a 80% lower, 2 c-clamps and cutting oil. Ill post what I can do with it sometime next week. I appreciate ALL the help I can get and am reading everything I can now.
View Quote
Are the C clamps a necessity?
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:23:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I’m really impressed by this jig - it’s amazing how well it appears to be designed (I don’t have one yet). Just a quick question about the process. In the 5D Tactical instructional video, they drill the selector and FCG pin holes as the last steps. In the 80% Milling Info thread here, there’s a discussion about how drilling the holes after the interior is milled out can allow the drill bit to egg out the first set of holes. It looks like the 5D jig takes care of this with the thick sides and the steel bearings, which keep the drill bit from wobbling. Is egging pretty much a non-issue with this jig, or would there be some small benefit to drilling the holes first? It seems like the holes need to be the most precise part of the lower, but I imagine you could also experience some chattering when you hit the holes while milling out the interior.

Quoted:
Are the C clamps a necessity?
View Quote
In the 5D Tactical demo video on YT, they use the C-clamps to secure the vice to the workbench.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:56:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 1:31:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Unlike others, I drill my holes partially on each side of the lower before milling out the lower, I go approximately 1/4 in on one side, then turn it over and drill 1/4in on the other three holes, I have never had any problem with chattering or poor finish and for me using a mill it actually allows me to gauge what depth I am at with each hole that I breach.

Both ways work just fine, it is what ever you are comfortable with.  If you decide to do as I do, don't drill all the way through the receiver, just go deep enough that when you mill it out, you don't have to do anymore drilling.  I have never had any problems with my trigger, hammer or safety hole being out of spec.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
OST
View Quote
Not up on my internet slang terms, OST is a new one to me, what does it stand for?
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 2:20:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Not up on my internet slang terms, OST is a new one to me, what does it stand for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OST
Old school tag. A way to mark your last post in a thread instead of the subscribe button.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 2:53:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Old school tag. A way to mark your last post in a thread instead of the subscribe button.
View Quote
Okay,

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for the feedback on drilling the holes. Reading through the milling thread, I think part of the issue in that situation is that they’re not using a jig to help align the drill bit to help prevent it from wobbling. That’s a benefit of the 5D Tactical jig, but I’d still like to play it safe and use a drill press with the jig as opposed to the hand drill. I’m sure I’m overthinking it, but if I take on an 80% project, I’ll probably only do one or two and want to make sure they’re as precise as I can make them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback on drilling the holes. Reading through the milling thread, I think part of the issue in that situation is that they’re not using a jig to help align the drill bit to help prevent it from wobbling. That’s a benefit of the 5D Tactical jig, but I’d still like to play it safe and use a drill press with the jig as opposed to the hand drill. I’m sure I’m overthinking it, but if I take on an 80% project, I’ll probably only do one or two and want to make sure they’re as precise as I can make them.
View Quote
5d really has made this idiot proof. A hand drill works perfectly fine...and good luck just doing one or two. Once you start cranking them out and realize there is virtually zero wear on the jig or the mill, well, who knows where you will stop.

Just stick with the hash marks on the jig and make sure the router is flush with the side plate when you set up your router depth.

I am not sure how many it will take to actually make the end mill dull, but I have done four now and it's working just like it did out of the box.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 12:08:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Got mine on the way, cant wait to try it out. Building an XM177E2 out of an 80% but first having it completely engraved with all the correct Colt info including my old S/N and then milling it out. A buddy went half in with me as he's got a few lowers he wants to do. We usually do these at work on the mill but its getting harder to find "govt project" time without getting caught. So now we can do them at home .....
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Got mine on the way, cant wait to try it out. Building an XM177E2 out of an 80% but first having it completely engraved with all the correct Colt info including my old S/N and then milling it out. A buddy went half in with me as he's got a few lowers he wants to do. We usually do these at work on the mill but its getting harder to find "govt project" time without getting caught. So now we can do them at home .....
View Quote
Please tell us you aren't producing lowers that actually match up to serial numbers and brands listed as machine guns in the .gov database...?

Get Reproduction engraved somewhere like the trigger opening and maybe add you initials to serial #'s.  I enjoy a good retro build but if the only thing that makes your lower look different is the lack of a third pin to an untrained observer, you maybe in for issues down the road.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
5d really has made this idiot proof. A hand drill works perfectly fine...and good luck just doing one or two. Once you start cranking them out and realize there is virtually zero wear on the jig or the mill, well, who knows where you will stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks a lot for the feedback - that all makes sense. The idea of finishing 80% lowers is fascinating, but I just don’t feel the need to have that many rifles and don’t want to invest in that many upper receivers and other components to complete them. I’m taking the approach of sparing no expense on a few special rifles rather than collecting a bunch.

Quoted:
Please tell us you aren't producing lowers that actually match up to serial numbers and brands listed as machine guns in the .gov database...?
I’ve seen a number of people do that here (there are several threads with photos of someone’s custom engraving next to the real thing with matching serial numbers). While it may not a great idea, having been around government property databases for most of my adult life, the chances of it becoming an issue are really slim (especially if it’s an old rifle like he’s replicating which may have already been demilled). One unlikely scenario would be if the government weapon was stolen, and that’s honestly a near impossibility. The other possibility, which hopefully is also unlikely, is that the replica rifle is stolen and has to be reported to law enforcement. In that case, he’d have to tell them that it was a replica and give them a heads up that it matches a government serial number, but he should be listed as the manufacturer / brand rather than Colt in that case. It would certainly be an awkward conversation, and I can imagine the investigator tell him that it wasn’t smart of use that serial number.

What I personally think is a bad idea is the people that I’ve seen on here who modify an auto selector so that they can switch their replica rifle to “Burst” or “Auto” and still have it fire (semi). I think that’s much more likely to get someone’s attention and freak someone out. I’d want to make sure there was no question if someone examined a replica rifle that the selector won’t move to that position, since people are less likely to know about the auto sear pin/hole.

Having said all that, it’s probably a good idea to engrave the lower like an SBR, with his name and hometown to designate himself as the manufacturer. He could use a discrete location, like the underside of the receiver in the trigger guard area. It’s not legally required, but that would put a permanent tag on it to indicate its ownership.

EDIT: On a side note, I’m not sure that it’s a great idea to put matching serial numbers on AKs, AR15s, and AR10s like PSA is offering. That seems like it could cause even more confusion if one went missing, but that’s an example of how serial numbers could be duplicated in a similar manner.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

EDIT: On a side note, I’m not sure that it’s a great idea to put matching serial numbers on AKs, AR15s, and AR10s like PSA is offering. That seems like it could cause even more confusion if one went missing, but that’s an example of how serial numbers could be duplicated in a similar manner.
View Quote
Unless PSA got a really unusual marking variance approved by the ATF, they have to be different.  The ATF guidelines state that a manufacturer can't repeate serial numbers across different models/makes.

If I had to guess, serial numbers most likely look like AK47-0001, AK74-0001, AR15-0001, AR10-0001.

That said, I was curious to see how that turned out once they posted that package set earlier last month.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Got it - I wasn’t aware of that ATF guideline, but that makes sense. I’ve never see a PSA rifle in person, so I’m not familiar with how they configure their serial numbers, but it seems logical that they would do it as you described.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Got it - I wasn’t aware of that ATF guideline, but that makes sense. I’ve never see a PSA rifle in person, so I’m not familiar with how they configure their serial numbers, but it seems logical that they would do it as you described.
View Quote
I took a look at their photos tonight.  They marked the serial numbers with a prefix of "SET15" or "SET10" depending on if it was an AR15 or an AR10.

Like I said, if you want to replicate an old arm from you prior service, make sure you mark the lower serial number with a prefix like your initials and/or clearly mark the lower as reproduction.  You may never have an issue with it but it maybe a bad day for a future owner, like your family when you die, should the gun get run through DCI/NCIC for a stolen property check or some other database run.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Just ordered the 5D Tactical universal AR 15 jig.  Didn't know about the military/veteran discount, wish I would have seen it earlier.  I did email them a copy of my DD 214 for future orders.
Great posts on this topic.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I just ordered a 5D PRO jig with the B mini mill bits. Now to pick up a Dewalt 611 before it gets here. Thanks PursuitSS for talking me out of a drill press jig.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top