Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice parts choices and it looks great!
Anxious to hear a range report.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]
That is one of the nicest build rifles I've seen here for quite some time. Outstanding selection of parts you have there. I'm doing a build somewhat along the same lines and I know, you've got quite a sum invested in that rifle. Please post some range targets when you get time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That is one of the nicest build rifles I've seen here for quite some time. Outstanding selection of parts you have there. I'm doing a build somewhat along the same lines and I know, you've got quite a sum invested in that rifle. Please post some range targets when you get time.
View Quote
Thanks. Good luck on your build.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#5]
How's your clearance with that gas block and CMR?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How's your clearance with that gas block and CMR?
View Quote
It is fine. No issues.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Sweet rig!
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sweet rig!
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you paint/coat it silver?  I can't really tell from the pictures what color it is but, it looks cool as hell.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did you paint/coat it silver?  I can't really tell from the pictures what color it is but, it looks cool as hell.
View Quote
It is Cerakoted Tungsten Grey. It is kinda like paint, but for firearms. I had it professionally done.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Great looking build!

Could use a little nicer optic
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Great looking build!

View Quote
Thanks.

Haha like what?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Trijicon 1-8 or Razor 1-6 if you want the lpv.

Bushnell LRHSi if you want to shoot precision.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Trijicon 1-8 or Razor 1-6 if you want the lpv.

Bushnell LRHSi if you want to shoot precision.
View Quote
Are they really worth 4x the price of what I’ve got?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Great looking build!
View Quote
So I thought this exact same thing when I read your specs.  You have done such a nice job selecting high quality parts that the Vortex SE seems like a bit of a compromise.  Nothing on your build says "entry level."  However, the Strike Eagle is certainly an "entry level" LPV.  

Now, having said this, my first LPV was, and still is, a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x.  I really like it.  I love the Vortex warranty.  But it is a budget optic.  

The Strike Eagle just doesn't seem to match your other parts and accessories.  

Now, say you went with the Steiner P4Xi, which would be a more mid range optic, this wouldn't even have been a discussion.  

Love your build, OP.  Very nice!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So I thought this exact same thing when I read your specs.  You have done such a nice job selecting high quality parts that the Vortex SE seems like a bit of a compromise.  Nothing on your build says "entry level."  However, the Strike Eagle is certainly an "entry level" LPV.  

Now, having said this, my first LPV was, and still is, a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x.  I really like it.  I love the Vortex warranty.  But it is a budget optic.  

The Strike Eagle just doesn't seem to match your other parts and accessories.  

Now, say you went with the Steiner P4Xi, which would be a more mid range optic, this wouldn't even have been a discussion.  

Love your build, OP.  Very nice!!
View Quote
Thanks. Now you've got me looking at spending more money lol.
You have literally started burning a hole in my pocket.

Optics Planet is running a 14% off scopes coupon now too.

I can get a Steiner P4Xi for $429.

But I'd really like more magnification.

A Trijicon 1-8x is $1229

Do you know of any other high quality 1-8x scopes?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#17]
The Primary Arms 1-8X Platinum scope is very nice but in the same price ballpark as the Trijicon Accupower 1-8X.  PA also has a 1-8X non-Platinum (SFP), but this is also considered a budget scope.  I do like PA’s ACSS reticle, though.  I would love to have either the Trijicon or PA Platinum scope, but don’t have the money to spend on it.  The Strike Eagle does have a 1-8X model.  It is a nice scope as well, and a bit more affordable.

Up to you... but go with a scope you won’t regret a month from now. A 1-6X Strike Eagle is a good value scope for the price.  I wouldn’t criticize you for getting that.  You built a first class rifle, is the reason the other guys are saying to get at least a mid-range glass.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 6:31:38 AM EDT
[#18]
As long as your happy with it, that's really all that matters.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#19]
For a precision build you might want a more traditional Recce type scope, such as a 2.5-8x or 3-9x with an objective larger than your 24mm.  24mm objectives produce very tiny exit pupils and tight eyeboxes when power goes above 6x.  To shoot sub MOA tight groups consistent with a precision build, you need more magnification, IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#20]
OP, shoot what you've got for now. It will work good.
It will give you time to research and save up some coin for nice glass once you settle in on something.
Even if it takes you a couple years to decide, the SE1-6 will work fine.
Once you settle in on a nice $1200-$2000 piece of glass, your saving money up to that point will make it even easier to drop that coin.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wouldn’t criticize you for getting that.  You built a first class rifle, is the reason the other guys are saying to get at least a mid-range glass.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Uhh I went to the range today.

No issues except for my ablilty to shoot at 100 yards with a 6 power scope. I need something more than that if I’m going to try the 1 MOA challenge lol.

Also, while shooting this rifle I felt considerably more gas in my face as compared to the other two rifles I brought with me. I think I’m going to try that silicone trick. This rifle was ejecting at the 4 o’clock position. That is good right? One of the other two was ejecting at 3 and the other at 4... I can’t remember which one.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I've used black RTV to help cut gas blowback. 

I definitely use more magnification for precision shooting. 6x can work decently on man size targets, but it you want sub moa it's easier with higher magnification.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Op looks great! That stock I looked it up. Does it come with the buffer tube and buffer? Looks just like what I'm looking for. Good work I'm jealous!
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Op looks great! That stock I looked it up. Does it come with the buffer tube and buffer? Looks just like what I'm looking for. Good work I'm jealous!
View Quote
The UBR? It comes with the tube.

It is kinda heavy but it is very very solid.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks great. Nice custom AR!

If you shoot much over 300 yds, you might consider a 10-14x  on the top end....civilian targets are usually smaller than military ones.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#27]
If your still looking for a 1-8 LPV there is the
https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-ii-riflescopes-series/xtr-ii-riflescope-1-8x24

I have the ballistic dot
https://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles/ballistic-dot

This would give you more magnification and I think the dot is smaller then what the strike eagle has.

Reading on here people have said the Trijicon 1-8 has to thick of lines to get really precision shots, and the same for the 1-8 Primary arms.  Now I'm not saying that they can not
help with precision shooting as they are both really good optics.

You just have to ask yourself   SELF do I want to shoot tight groups on paper with this, well then a 10 + power would be for that.
Or do you want to stay below 10 and still have good groups then a 1-6  or 1-8 would do.
I was just throwing the Burris out there incase you didn't want to spend the 1,100.00+ for a Vortex Razor 1-6
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I replaced the Strike Eagle with a Trijicon 1-8x and I also got a Geissele Mount to put it in.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Great build.  Superb parts selection and you wisely addressed my only quibble, the original optic.

I went a slightly different route on my precision recce.  Many of the same parts or similar, but went with a larger objective mid powered mil/mil scope for more precise shot placement at extended range with 45 degree offset mini reflex for the close stuff.  I know 1-8x is the hot thing, but I just can't adapt to the weight and the small objective in low light at max power and the tight eyebox compared to a 40mm objective.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Too nice you lucky bugger :)!
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Too nice you lucky bugger :)!
View Quote
Absolutely! I wish I could buy that Trijicon 1-8X scope.  Congrats
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I replaced the Strike Eagle with a Trijicon 1-8x and I also got a Geissele Mount to put it in.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/351027/8AE21F3F-B7BC-4AE4-B574-F496D7CC594F-367754.JPG
View Quote
Hell yea. Looks great.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For a precision build you might want a more traditional Recce type scope, such as a 2.5-8x or 3-9x with an objective larger than your 24mm.  24mm objectives produce very tiny exit pupils and tight eyeboxes when power goes above 6x.  To shoot sub MOA tight groups consistent with a precision build, you need more magnification, IMHO.
View Quote
100% Agreed. I wouldn't stop short of 12x on the high end for a truly precision-oriented AR. Also, a lot of reticles in low-powered scopes aren't suitable for precision work. If you look at the MOA all day challenge, most of the scopes are well over 12x. A lower powered scope with a coarser reticle can make .3 moa or so difference over a target-oriented scope, based on my thoroughly unverified experience.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Hell yea. Looks great.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Absolutely! I wish I could buy that Trijicon 1-8X scope.  Congrats
View Quote
Dvor had it for $1095 shipped. Optics Planet was like $1262.

Keep an eye out with Black Friday and Cyber Monday coming up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/351027/8AE21F3F-B7BC-4AE4-B574-F496D7CC594F-367754.JPG
View Quote
Great looking setup!
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Great looking setup!
View Quote
Thanks. I can’t wait to sight in the new scope.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:28:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Looks great, nice work.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 12:26:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Looks great, nice work.
View Quote
Thanks. Here it is in it's final form lol.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top