Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/15/2017 12:18:46 PM EDT
After drilling and routing, I've attempted to assemble the lowers... One minor problem:

The Jig allowed me to remove a tad too much material from the right rear of the receiver pocket. The result is the hole that houses the take down pin spring and detent was breached just enough for the detent to slip off the end of the spring and fall into the lower.

I can think of a few solutions:
1. Maybe a small diameter aluminum tube will fit the spring inside and still fit in the hole in the lower.
2. Glue (The challenge is gluing in a way that makes a hole, and not just a wider lower).
3. Solder (same challenge as above, plus I have to buy the stuff).

Any advice about materials to use, or suggested methods would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually had that happen once and I found a small piece of wire that I scrounged up that was the right size, I put it in the hole and smeared some JB weld over it and let it set up, I coated the wire with wax before I did it and was able to fix it and as fare as I know that gun is still working just fine and that was 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I actually had that happen once and I found a small piece of wire that I scrounged up that was the right size, I put it in the hole and smeared some JB weld over it and let it set up, I coated the wire with wax before I did it and was able to fix it and as fare as I know that gun is still working just fine and that was 3 years ago.
View Quote
I saw a YouTube video similar to what you said but instead of putting a,wire in the he JB welded it then drilled the hole again.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I saw a YouTube video similar to what you said but instead of putting a,wire in the he JB welded it then drilled the hole again.
View Quote
This is how I did it, it looked great. JB weld didn't hold.
I went with the new pin.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I have repaired several with that problem.  You just purchase 1/8" tubing (copper or brass) and drill out the existing hole with a 1/8" drill bit.  Cover the tubing with epoxy or jb weld and slide it in place. Trim to fit, and you are back in business. The internal diameter of the tubing is 3/32nd" which is the diameter of the the original hole.  I also tap the tube with a 4/40 tap and use a set screw with a shortened spring. I never have to  remove the pin after that.

I posted pictures in another thread years ago how to do it (I used a 5/32nd drill bit, and a roll pin to accomplish the same thing.  I even used the same process on a Flat Spot steel receiver and it worked fine. Here is the thread    Photobucket nuked the pics
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top