Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2017 9:33:07 AM EDT
Built 2 ar uppers (6 x 45 and .264 LBC-6.5 Grendel clone) using SLR 7 handguards, adjustable gas blocks and gas tubes.  I tested these rifles for function, and after waiting over a year for the stamps (suppressor), I finally started shooting them for accuracy.  Both have unexplained fliers.  In looking my builds over, both guns have the gas block hitting the inside of the handguard.  Calling SLR is a waste of time.  They don't even answer the phone, but force you to leave your phone number.  I paid $400 for each guns parts-yes $800.  Turns out the problem is well known:

http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/218871-gas-block-hitting-handguard/

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-8356.html

just a heads up.  These guys cost me hundreds of dollars in gas for trips to the range and wasted ammo in addition to the defective parts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#1]
@crkone
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:06:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#2]
First - you assembled the upper, and you didn't check to make sure the gas block was clearing the handguard.  Any range trips and ammo are on you.  This is standard procedure when assembling anything.

Second - when assembling a barrel, not all barrels will be perfectly centered inside the handguard, due to tolerance stacking between handguard threads, and upper receiver threads, and the perpendicularity of the upper receiver face to the outside threads of the upper receiver.

Third - the gas block orientation can be rotated in one direction or the other caused by over torquing the barrel nut, slop/tolerances in the upper receiver slot, and the installer who placed it on the barrel.

In most cases, you can compensate for this clearance with an adjustable gas block, by facing the upper receiver, swapping the receiver, rotating the position of the gas block, ensuring there is no canting of the barrel on assembly, etc.

Out of curiosity.... what was the diameter of these barrels at the gas block journal?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
First - you assembled the upper, and you didn't check to make sure the gas block was clearing the handguard.  Any range trips and ammo are on you.  This is standard procedure when assembling anything.

Second - when assembling a barrel, not all barrels will be perfectly centered inside the handguard, due to tolerance stacking between handguard threads, and upper receiver threads, and the perpendicularity of the upper receiver face to the outside threads of the upper receiver.

Third - the gas block orientation can be rotated in one direction or the other caused by over torquing the barrel nut, slop/tolerances in the upper receiver slot, and the installer who placed it on the barrel.

In most cases, you can compensate for this clearance with an adjustable gas block, by facing the upper receiver, swapping the receiver, rotating the position of the gas block, ensuring there is no canting of the barrel on assembly, etc.

Out of curiosity.... what was the diameter of these barrels at the gas block journal?
View Quote

OP refers to his handguards as "SLR 7" which isn't a real name for the any handguard.

But based on that info, I'd guess we're looking at a .750" GB journal.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I read some of the post from the links and it reads the same.

AR home builder is the issue.
Not checking parts compatibility.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 adj gas blocks from SLR. One of which is paired with a 7.5 ION handguard.

All flawless and sexy AF. 
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:00:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Linc5870] [#8]
I'm struggling with this claim made by the OP.  I'm sure he's having an issue, but I have a rail, adjustable gas block and gas tube all from SLR.  Most likely different models than OP, but there are some other sites/threads that seem to claim that this is a systemic issue with SLR.  My own experience with SLR has been nothing but excellent.  Just took this picture showing the abundant clearance on my rifle with SLR rail, gas block and gas tube:
Attachment Attached File

Sorry for the unprofessional iPhone pic, but I think it shows how much clearance there is, at least on my gun. It would be good to hear from SLR
ETA: oops - Todd responded just before my post... good.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:49:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ebr_citizen] [#9]
Given:
    OP fails to consider potential fitment issues when buying a gas block and slim handguard.
    OP fails to notice this potential issue as he installs handguard.
    OP fails to inspect his build after completion and prior to shooting.
    Having failed at these prior steps, OP proceeds to waste time and ammo.
    OP discovers the issue, which he could have done without ever leaving home, and comes to the conclusion that the fault is not his, but someone else's.

Conclusion:  OP is a liberal.

Tip for OP (to avoid similar thread in the near future): when installing accessories to the handguard, make sure any backing plates or screws are not touching the gas block.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#10]
This has to be a troll.  It's almost as good as the person who sawed his lower in half and threw it in the lake because Aim Surplus wouldn't give him free stuff
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SailorJ:
Please provide a link.  I need a good laugh.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By majorcollins:
This has to be a troll.  It's almost as good as the person who sawed his lower in half and threw it in the lake because Aim Surplus wouldn't give him free stuff
https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/This_is_NOT_the_way_to_get_a_replacement______/282-171075/
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I knew someone would be able to find it! I guess I remembered the details a little bit wrong.  But Aim Surplus had a pretty good one too: https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/Just-a-heads-up-as-to-why-I-ll-never-buy-a-bcg-from-you-again/217-284160/
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:31:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#15]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Originally Posted By majorcollins:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/This_is_NOT_the_way_to_get_a_replacement______/282-171075/
I remember that!

I have a KMR upper that clears an SLR adjustable block with ease and the KMR is a very slim handguard. OP is a dummy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 871JZ:

I remember that!

I have a KMR upper that clears an SLR adjustable block with ease and the KMR is a very slim handguard. OP is a dummy.
View Quote
My UTG pro super slim clears an SLR gas block as well.  I think SLR is about the smallest gas block out there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Not enough to get a call back from SLR.  Nope not a liberal.  A float tube and gas block that were made for each other should fit.  Don't think $800 for two handguards and two agb's is asking for anything for free.  I think everyone should buy them and grind away.  If they said I'd have to grind it to fit, I would not have bought it.  Nice pic.  Looks like a newer gen that fixed the issue.  Mine and a lot of others don't fit like that.  

I suppose if I got an out of spec stripped upper or lower, I should have checked all the dim's to make sure.  FUA
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By cmatera:
Not enough to get a call back from SLR.  Nope not a liberal.  A float tube and gas block that were made for each other should fit.  Don't think $800 for two handguards and two agb's is asking for anything for free.  I think everyone should buy them and grind away.  If they said I'd have to grind it to fit, I would not have bought it.  Nice pic.  Looks like a newer gen that fixed the issue.  Mine and a lot of others don't fit like that.  

I suppose if I got an out of spec stripped upper or lower, I should have checked all the dim's to make sure.  FUA
View Quote
Todd asked you to email him.  Did you?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:49:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#21]
Originally Posted By cmatera:

View Quote
Post pics of the two uppers. I want to see the interference or whatever it is that you did wrong...
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I have two SLR GBs, both different generations and I've never had a problem with multiple brands of rails---including SLR.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#24]
OP

What does FUA mean?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Posted in more than one Forum!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top