Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2017 1:45:33 PM EDT
Putting together a new gun for a friend.   He purchased a stripped blem upper from BCM.   Barrel extension is way too tight to insert into upper receiver.   I tried a few spare BCM uppers I have and the barrel slides in easily enough.    Should I lightly sand the inside of the receiver until the barrel fits?

This is the first time out of all my builds that I have experienced this and unsure of how to proceed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Place the barrel and extension in the freezer overnight and see if you can get it to slide in before you commit to removing any material off of the upper.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]
No sanding.

Use a propane torch to heat the receiver.

BCM receivers are usually really tight.  that's a good thing in my book
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Just heat the receiver where the extension fits into and try, if it don't go still then heat the receiver after you have put the barrel in the freezer for a while, we do that all the time to install press on bearings in rear ends in trucks..  But heating the receiver should be enough to enlarge to tap the barrel home.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Heated it and went right in just like it's supposed to work.   First time I've ever had to use heat or freezing to get a barrel to fit on an AR.   Even with multiple 10/22s.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heated it and went right in just like it's supposed to work.   First time I've ever had to use heat or freezing to get a barrel to fit on an AR.   Even with multiple 10/22s.
View Quote
Glad you got it, it is amazing how tight a tolerance some of those receivers are milled to, but with aluminum as well as steel, heat or freeze usually does the trick.  Normally what it is, is the finish on the receiver tightened it up enough to make it difficult.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#7]
The upper I used in my last build was a BCM blem upper and like yours it was tight. I used a heat gun to warm it up and the barrel slid right in. I like how tight these uppers fit and will be using them I’m my builds from now on. Also used my lapping tool to make sure the face was square (may or may not do anything but figured it wouldn’t hurt while I’m there).
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Heat the nose of the receiver with a heat gun, it'll go in then. No need to freeze the barrel usually.

Eta: I would not sand the receiver.
View Quote
This. Don't sand it. If you have to, freeze barrel and heat receiver threads. This interference fit is actually a good thing, IMO.

ETA: Saw you got it. Good going.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#9]
BCM uppers are tight fit and they state this in the item description.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a POF upper and a BA barrel that had this issue.  It was like a square peg and round hole.  Threw the receiver in the freezer for a few hours and it almost fit.  Threw it in the freezer again for a few more hours and took a torch to the barrel extension and it fit perfectly.  Made some cool sizzling noises for a minute and I'm not looking forward to ever taking it out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a POF upper and a BA barrel that had this issue.  It was like a square peg and round hole.  Threw the receiver in the freezer for a few hours and it almost fit.  Threw it in the freezer again for a few more hours and took a torch to the barrel extension and it fit perfectly.  Made some cool sizzling noises for a minute and I'm not looking forward to ever taking it out.
View Quote
Isn't that backward?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Given how cheap an upper can be,  just treat this barrel and upper as a unit and if you want to rebarrel this rifle, just swap out the upper with barrel and never have to worry about pulling that tight bastard out of there again.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Isn't that backward?
View Quote
Yup it is, heat the receiver and freeze the barrel, heating the receiver expands it, freezing the receiver shrinks it!
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Theres fewer customer service calls if everything just slips together.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wat?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wat?
The lord looks out for the clueless.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Hahahaha. Just re-read what I said, yeah... I totally put that shit backwards.  Mostly cause i remember trying to put the barrel in the freezer with all the damn food was a pain.  Talk about   on that reply.  Opps.  Haha
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Torches and freezes are the wrong tools. One induces way too much highly localized heat and the other moisture in the form of condensation.

Warm the upper by use of a heat gun or a oven.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Torches and freezes are the wrong tools. One induces way too much highly localized heat and the other moisture in the form of condensation.

View Quote
Well all I can is there is a hell of a lot of us that have been using the torch and freezer method for a long time now.  We even did it this way when I was in the service working in the Armory.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I would be willing to pay extra for this kind of fit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
And yet it's been done a million times with no ill effects.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top