Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2017 11:07:46 AM EDT
Built my 4th or so lower about a month ago and while shooting it this past weekend I noticed my trigger pin was walking out. It was causing the trigger to operate incorrectly and I noticed how easy it was to push the pin either way. I did some googling and people said make sure the hammer spring is in the groove(s) on the pin. I did what I could to try and make sure they were pushed down into the grooves but can't really tell.

Looks like a lot of people say the anti-walk pins out there aren't great. Would a small amount of locktite be a solution or should I buy a new pin?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Either choice might work, you'd just have to try and see.  Take a look at KNS trigger and hammer pins on Primary Arms or somewhere.  That'd solve the problem too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]
It shouldn't be walking out. There is enough tension on the pin with the hammer spring to keep it in place. Are you certain the hammer spring is installed correctly? One leg should be engaged in trigger pin grove  top of the  trigger pin.

It should look like this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#7]
My pins have never walked out, but I did install these JP anti-walk pins which are slightly oversized, on the recommendation from QC10 on their 9mm Colt lower receiver.  Probably not necessary, but it was relatively cheap insurance.  If you find that your current setup is correctly installed, you might try these.  You can find them basically everywhere.

Attachment Attached File

On my 5.56 SBR, I use standard pins and have had no issues, but on the 9mm, with the heavy bolt and harsh blowback action, I followed QC10's suggestion.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never had one assembled correctly have the pin walk out.

You are sure that assembly is correct?

Eta: make sure you have the legs of your hammer spring OVER the pin, not under. That usually fixes the problem.
View Quote
This right here. I run KNS pins in all my 80% lowers, but in a regular anodized lower its fine without. That said, with anti-walk pins you are only out like $20-30 for a set of KNS, cheap peace of mind if you want it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#9]
The hammer spring legs are on top of the pin for sure. It's hard to see if the spring legs are actually in the groove honestly so I can't guarantee that. I've never had this issue either. The weapon is as suppressed ar pistol with a 10.5 barrel making me think the blow back is a little more violent than a carbine length + gas system.

I haven't shot it since reinstalling the pin so it may be okay. I probably shot 50 rounds through it before the pin stalking walking.

I'll look into kns pins if the problem still persists.

Probably can't see anything but here is a picture.

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Make sure the spring is installed correctly also

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Make sure the spring is installed correctly also

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2hd1kqb.jpg
View Quote
It's installed correctly. I've made that mistake before. The hammer spring legs are "strained" against the hammer pin.

I went ahead and ordered one of the KNS anti-roll pin sets so I can nip this in the bud.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I run KNS pins on every AR I own, it's cheap insurance.
View Quote
This for me as well. 5 AR's and counting.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This for me as well. 5 AR's and counting.
View Quote
KNS pins are anti rotation pins, not anti-walk pins.  There’s a limit to which KNS pins will resist walking in a lower that has problems, either because of the lower itself of the parts in it.

Properly installed and in-spec FCGs should not allow pins to “walk.”  Before a bandaid is applied, maybe it would be a good idea to figure out what the actual culprit is.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Doesn't the kns anti-rotate pin kit come with parts including two screws that physically hold the parts in place?

If you read reviews on the kit people talk about having problems with pins walking and this fixed it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Doesn't the kns anti-rotate pin kit come with parts including two screws that physically hold the parts in place?

If you read reviews on the kit people talk about having problems with pins walking and this fixed it.
View Quote
They do and they physically can't walk with the KNS Kit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They do and they physically can't walk with the KNS Kit.
View Quote
That's what I figured, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a lower I bought around 96 or 97. Shot it a bunch and one day trigger pin walked out. Thought I did something wrong. Cleaned inspected and it walked out again. Put one of those old anti walk pins in it Bushmaster use to sell with the C clip on it. Probably a worn pin. I never tried another in it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Is your trigger pin grooved like it should be. I've seen a few pins with no grooves, obviously defective. Although they'll fix it, before installing the KNS pins, I would see what's causing the issue to begin with if for nothing more than to satisfy my own curiosity.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is your trigger pin grooved like it should be. I've seen a few pins with no grooves, obviously defective. Although they'll fix it, before installing the KNS pins, I would see what's causing the issue to begin with if for nothing more than to satisfy my own curiosity.
View Quote
It has one groove in it. I've seen some pins with two and some with one. I agree, I'd like to figure out what is causing it but what I am going to do is install the kns pins nad shoot the hell out of it. If my fcg is installed correctly I can only imagine it's a clearance issue as someone else point out which I'm not worried about.

It initially was a little scary as I fired a round and when I went to reset the trigger it fired another round. Like the echo trigger.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It has one groove in it. I've seen some pins with two and some with one. I agree, I'd like to figure out what is causing it but what I am going to do is install the kns pins nad shoot the hell out of it. If my fcg is installed correctly I can only imagine it's a clearance issue as someone else point out which I'm not worried about.

It initially was a little scary as I fired a round and when I went to reset the trigger it fired another round. Like the echo trigger.
View Quote
Yeah, not good. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are some oddball pin sets out there (I've had one myself). Some have specific pins (center groove on hammer pin, single side groove for trigger pin), but most are "universal" pins (work for either hammer/trigger) that will both have either two or 3 grooves (both having center hammer groove, and both having one (or both) side groove for the trigger.
If I were you, I'd just try a different brand of pins and make sure they have multiple grooves, or make sure the corresponding groove pins are in the proper location.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Loctite will not work, it is a anerobic chemical that only dries in the absence of O2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top