Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/27/2017 5:02:23 PM EDT
Not necessarily a full build from scratch per se, but its requiring enough custom fitting I figured this thread would find a good home here.

Started life as a 14.5" pinned and welded .223 Wylde. Shot great, but I wanted something a bit more multipurpose that I could take hunting. That's when I started looking into the 6.5. The rest was history.

Proof 20" 6.5G
JP Enhanced Bolt
Superlative Arms "Bleed Off" Gas Block
AAC Blackout FH
Nightforce Beast 5-25
Spuhr 4003b

Fresh out of the box

Barrel swapped

A little 5-axis mill work to clear the gas block

By the skin of my teeth...

Scope mounted

The gas block still does not clear the rail when you seat it onto the upper receiver since the block height is not concentric about the bore axis. I need to get it back up on the machine to mill out a .250" x 4" slot on the topside of the forward end of the rail. Once that's done, I'll coat all the exposed aluminum and be ready to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
That thing is sexy

A lot will hate on it. 

Be sure to post range results!
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That thing is sexy

A lot will hate on it. 

Be sure to post range results!
View Quote
That's fine, I got some of that back when I first posted about the original purchase. It's not your normal "black rifle" and I'm good with that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice build.  I just picked up a Christensen grendel barrel myself.  Looking forward to targets.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks damn good. Make me think I need a mill.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Incredibly ugly rifle.

You've done a great job with the caliber conversion. I like how the individual parts chosen make sense, not just selection based on the most expensive in category. Any particular reason you chose to modify instead of doing another upper?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:56:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I chose the conversion to keep a uniform look. You cant buy cobalt uppers separately, so the conversion was the only option for me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
So I had to bail on the adjustable gas block and just throw on a Troy low profile block in order to clear the hand guard. Even with milling a slot in the top, the block and gas tube still hit.

Also wound up taking off the Beast because it was just too much scope for the rifle. In search of a replacement.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Leupy Mk6 3-18 or Atacr.

How is the balance?  Worried about clearance on mine also.  What's the internal diameter of that handguard?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm leaning towards the ATACR.

The balance is really nice. The billet stock balances out the longer barrel. Not sure what the ID of the rail is off the top of my head. I'll try to measure it when I get home. The low pro Troy just barely fits....
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm leaning towards the ATACR.

The balance is really nice. The billet stock balances out the longer barrel. Not sure what the ID of the rail is off the top of my head. I'll try to measure it when I get home. The low pro Troy just barely fits....
View Quote
Yeah, they don't have specs on Cobalts website so if you get a chance to measure I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Bill
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Done minus final optic and proper mag

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:07:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Gorgeous and unique rifle! I've always like the Cobalt line, and with the 6.5G Proof barrel... thats bragging rights for sure.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:42:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gorgeous and unique rifle! I've always like the Cobalt line, and with the 6.5G Proof barrel... thats bragging rights for sure.
View Quote
Thanks! I absolutely love what Cobalt does with their rifles. The fit and finish is second to none and their customer service is incredible. I just ordered an Edge Scout Limited Edition tonight to add to the collection. One is none, two is one....
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:51:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Awesome, I can definitely agree with the two is one rule - I always end up buying 2 of my favorite items.

Lots of people seem to hate on the Cobalt, likely due to the price. But they are definitely the most unique AR's out there. Which is quite the feat - given how many different companies are making AR's, it's very hard to stand out, much less do something genuinely new.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome project.

I think they have the best-looking AR15 on the market right now, very forward-thinking, out of the box approach that is needed with all the coat tail riding, especially in the 21st Century.

A Vortex Viper PST Gen II would complement it well, as would a March Optics.

They really should offer 6.5 Grendel factory rifles, given what the entire package is.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#16]
It looks like they just started offering the Grendel in their Overwatch

https://www.cobaltkinetics.com/product/overwatch
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Ended up going with a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 in a Spuhr 3026 mount. Much better fit for my needs and keeps it to a nice, compact size.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top