Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2017 10:44:11 PM EDT
I am setting up a BUIS on my rifle until I can find a permanent optic for it. I have the Magpul MBUS Pro
front and rear.  I have it so that the screw pin that goes through the picatinny slot for the rear sight is on the very last gap, thus leaving half of the base hanging off the rear of the rail.

I have the screw pin for the front sight going through the very first picatinny slot, thus leaving half of its base hanging off the front of the rail. In the case of the front sight base, I can see another protruding fixed/non-moving square shaped pin that is supposed to go into another picatinny slot, but it is exposed since the underside of half the base is hanging forward.

Is this okay, or not okay?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Move them closer together. It will protect to rear site when folded down and the front site base needs rage protection of the rail.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Move them closer together. It will protect to rear site when folded down and the front site base needs rage protection of the rail.
View Quote
I did not know they could be damaged in this way. How is this the case??
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#3]
How would this happen?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:59:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Being half-mounted probably doesn't contribute positively to accuracy either.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm pretty sure all my rails are made so that the first, and last, slot in the rail are pretty far in from the end of the rail so even though I have mine mounted in the last slot the bottom/base is still well supported and tight/secure.

I may drop on of mine someday, but I'm not holding my breath.  Dropped an M16A1 at Ft. Polk on a rainy cold February morning - after I let go of it to lean it up against a tree.  Twenty pushups in the cold wet mud taught me not to trust leaning it against anything.  I dropped my M14 on Summerall Field one morning during the next to the last movement in fix bayonets.  Top Daniels taught me the error of my ways (an almost broken right hand along with the promise to shove that M14 and bayonet up my ass sideways works wonders on an 18 year old).
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Move them inward one slot and do things the correct way. You're not gonna see a massive difference, and having them hanging halfway off is just silly.

Mount them correctly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#8]
You guys are all right. I called Magpul today to ask them this very question, and they said that it is best to set the BUIS so that the base does not hang off.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top