Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2017 6:45:10 PM EDT
Was thinking of getting this upper And then the toolcraft BCG to finish off a build i been working on the lower is already done.

Looking for info from anyone that might have the upper.

Linky

Lower in Question

Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#1]
It'll do fine...what's the purpose for the rifle...what's the budget?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#2]
It'll work just fine but I'd hold out for a nitride barrel around the same price
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It'll do fine...what's the purpose for the rifle...what's the budget?
View Quote
up to 250 just a basic carbine right now for the first AR
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
If your willing to spend a touch more you can get into an awesome FN barrled CHF upper, 350 with BCH and CH

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-hammer-forged-midlength-light-weight-upper.html
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Local gunsmith told me that PSA was selling uppers (less bolt) that won't headspace.  I haven't been able to verify that but he said he's seen 6 in the past year.  Now I won't buy an upper (or barrel) unless it comes with a tested bolt.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Local gunsmith told me that PSA was selling uppers (less bolt) that won't headspace.  I haven't been able to verify that but he said he's seen 6 in the past year.  Now I won't buy an upper (or barrel) unless it comes with a tested bolt.
View Quote
that's bullshit, I have had probably 10 different PSA uppers, Freedom, Premium, CHF etc.  All of them bought without a BCG and non of them have ever failed headspace.  Also if there is an issue with it PSA will make it right.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If your willing to spend a touch more you can get into an awesome FN barrled CHF upper, 350 with BCH and CH

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-hammer-forged-midlength-light-weight-upper.html
View Quote
ill keep that in mind thank you
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats a killer deal and better bbl profile than OP.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thats a killer deal and better bbl profile than OP.
View Quote
I really need to stop going on PSA's website I want to buy all the things!...

must resist

Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I really need to stop going on PSA's website I want to buy all the things!...

must resist

View Quote
Their emails as well  Thanks for the help guys it does give me an idea it seems to hold for another 100 to get a better upper
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

that's bullshit, I have had probably 10 different PSA uppers, Freedom, Premium, CHF etc.  All of them bought without a BCG and non of them have ever failed headspace.  Also if there is an issue with it PSA will make it right.
View Quote
I'll second this, I've had 6 PSA uppers that all headspace fine (all bought at different time periods).  PSA has had some issues over the years, but nothing as serious as that.

Local gunsmith is full of shit.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'll second this, I've had 6 PSA uppers that all headspace fine (all bought at different time periods).  PSA has had some issues over the years, but nothing as serious as that.

Local gunsmith is full of shit.
View Quote
but it does bring up that if you plan to make a hobby of this, or plan on building alot of your own investing in a good set of go/no-go gauges is a good idea.  they are not even that expensive

but after building maybe 15? ar's i have never had a barrel/bolt not head space.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I have that exact upper minus the handguard.  I think I paid $200 for it shipped a long time ago and I thought it was a great deal.  The upper groups surprisingly well.  I'm running a Toolcraft Nib BCG and have at least 1500 rounds through it.  I rarely shoot it anymore.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It'll work just fine but I'd hold out for a nitride barrel around the same price
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote
+2... the nitride barrels are the shit for them. longer lasting, and just as accurate as the SS PSA barrels

personally I'd go with  THIS

only $30 extra for a magpul flip up (which you'll want for you SS one anyways and it's the MOE handguard

or if you're stuck on that $169.99 price the nitride ones go in stock for that price all the time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I would hold out for one of these when they go back on sale for 189.99 to 199.99 (will have to log in for sale price when they are on sale). They go on sale frequently.

DSGArmsUpper

I bought one and it is a great upper for the money. The fit and finish is second to none and with the quality barrel they use, the accuracy is well above a psa.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would hold out for one of these when they go back on sale for 189.99 to 199.99 (will have to log in for sale price when they are on sale). They go on sale frequently.

DSGArmsUpper

I bought one and it is a great upper for the money. The fit and finish is second to none and with the quality barrel they use, the accuracy is well above a psa.
View Quote
How do you know the DSG upper and PSA uppers don't use the same barrel?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

+2... the nitride barrels are the shit for them. longer lasting, and just as accurate as the SS PSA barrels

personally I'd go with  THIS

only $30 extra for a magpul flip up (which you'll want for you SS one anyways and it's the MOE handguard

or if you're stuck on that $169.99 price the nitride ones go in stock for that price all the time.
View Quote
i did not see that one that would work and give me enough left over for ammo i have a few mags and i was looking for it with the Flip up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should keep it in mind, that's a great deal.  I have the same upper and think I paid the same price w/o the bcg or c-handle and it shoots really well.  FO moment while it lasts and likely not long.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top