Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/13/2017 2:29:46 PM EDT
Sometime in August I plan on beginning my personalized retro rifle build. Obviously It's going to take some time to get all the parts together due to both funds and availability of the parts, namely the barrel assembly and receivers. I'd like to hear how you all store your parts during the build. I've got an empty ammo box and a four-pistol foam padded case I can store most of the parts in. save for the barrel and possibly stock.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
These are pretty cool....  LINKY

Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually put all my parts in one of these bags (the larger bag) and leave them in there original packaging until I have all the parts necessary to finish the build. The barrel is usually the only item that doesn't fit in the bag and that will usually just go into the safe.

Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of these on top of my safe that I keep a lot of misc accessories and parts in.  Being clear helps when digging for parts.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selections-28-Quart-Clear-Underbed-Tote-with-Standard-Snap-Lid/50239203
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have peg board in my shop, small parts remain in their bags and such get hung on the peg board, barrels stay in their original box and put on the barrel and hand guard shelf, receivers are placed in a box and put on the receiver shelf, currently I have 3 boxes full of 80% lowers and 3 boxes full of upper receivers and a dozen BCG's in their own box.

I have purpose built my shop so I have a place for everything so when I am building a gun, I know exactly where to go to get the part I need and nobody but me plays in my shop!

Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Those ammo box organizers look really cool. Favorited for later....

Hmm, that craftsman bag gives me an idea. I ought to look around and see if I have an old luggage bag or backpack I can use. Knock the dust off it and put it to good use.

Never thought of one of those types of plastic containers. We've got a bazillion of those in the kitchen, surely nobody will notice if one goes missing.

Definitely envy your shop. I wish I could say I have that many parts. Maybe some day I'll have a spare rifle or two in boxes, waiting for it's day.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Glass jars, are cheap. I used baby food jars for springs and stuff.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glass jars, are cheap. I used baby food jars for springs and stuff.
View Quote
I don't know anybody with babies!

Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't know anybody with babies!

View Quote
I envy you. Seems like everyone in my family is birthing 24/7.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Walmart - $1

box
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

Harbor Freight about $3.50 with a coupon.  I print the labels on my printer.

Also have one for springs, and so on.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I guess I need to snap a pic.....current build is in a decent size cardboard box ie: aero upper / spikes crusader lower / ambi safety / fail zero bcg / cheap cobratec handguard / BCM grip / waiting on a couple triggers I sent to failzero-utc for coating / just got my barrel back from ADCO after pin and weld [13.7-kx5] / phase 5 charge handle / lower parts kit minus trigger
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#12]
The top shelf of my gun safe is a mess when builds are going on.

I have three receiver sets and random parts up there now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#13]
While I'm working on a build everything usually goes in a cardboard box in original packaging, all my extra small parts goes in those clear fishing tackle storage boxes. Works really good. As for larger extra parts, I just keep them in a big tote, I swear everytime I open it I spend money and end up with another rifle.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Spare and repair parts go into this.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Spare and repair parts go into this.
View Quote
THIS ALL DAY LONG.

Harbor freight has storage compartments for $4. You can move the dividers to create different shaped spaces to accommodate longer parts.

Harbor Freight box

I have like 6-7 of them...one for each platform... AR15, AR308, AR9mm, GLOCK, CZ, SPRINGFIELD, etc.

They  stack nicely, they  fit into larger range bags, they can be labeled easily with sharpie or stickers, and have held up fairly well without cracking or falling apart.

FWIW....I have yet to see anything better for the price.

_
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a couple of these. 1 for lower & 1 for upper parts.
Has enough compartments for every part,seals tight and snaps shut w/carry handle.

https://akro-mils.com/Products/Types/Portable-Small-Parts-Storage/Portable-Organizers/Portable-Organizer-06115

Vid: https://youtu.be/wnEO6Lsu-PE
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top