Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2017 10:27:15 AM EDT
Hey everyone,

So I have installed a free float handguard which makes it difficult to access the naked barrel or even the upper receiver.

To be lazy and not dismount the handguard, would it be harmful to install (and time) the A2 FS with a lower receiver block??

I already know (ass u me) the answers I'm about to receive, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks all,
Usurp...
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#2]
It really depends on how far you have to turn it to time it.
And it depends on how stiff your crush washer is- stiffness varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. I've had some that got really tough to turn after only about a quarter turn and some that went almost a full turn and the washer seemed to crush really easily. (assuming you are using a crush washer and not shims)
If you don't have to turn it any farther than about 180 degrees and you don't have a super stiff washer you'll probably be fine and won't have to worry about shearing your index pin assuming the barrel nut was properly torqued.
But as always- proceed at your own risk!

Do you have a Magpul BEV block? Using that instead of a clamshell will transfer some of the load off of the barrel extension index pin.
From Magpul's description of the BEV block: "The BEV Block (Barrel Extension Vise) is an all-in-one, compact vise block tool for AR15/M4 assembly operations of barrel nuts, flash hiders, etc."
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, thanks to you both.  I think I'll eval it during install and if it starts to get tight, i may just have to not be lazy.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I would take the free float off and use barrel blocks put the MD on, then reinstall the free float, then you don't run the risk of causing damage.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Use a Geissele Reaction Rod or similar device to hold the barrel from the chamber side.  No stress on the barrel pin and you don;t have to remove the handguard.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use a Geissele Reaction Rod or similar device to hold the barrel from the chamber side.  No stress on the barrel pin and you don;t have to remove the handguard.
View Quote
Hmm, Geissele Reaction Rod = $99

Two blocks of wood, remove handguard, few minutes of your time...

Priceless!

Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hmm, Geissele Reaction Rod = $99

Two blocks of wood, remove handguard, few minutes of your time...

Priceless!

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies everyone.  Just to close the loop, handguards are coming off and the barrel blocks are going on.  Lazy == $$
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would take the free float off and use barrel blocks put the MD on, then reinstall the free float, then you don't run the risk of causing damage.
View Quote
THIS. Barrel blocks are the proper answer (not a Reaction rod, Bev Block, or anything else). A muzzle device is a separate entity, you don't want that torque transferred anywhere else.
While is HAS been done before with a Reaction Rod, Bev block, etc... it's not the right way to do it (and there have been horror stories of doing such). I have yet to hear ONE horror story of doing it the right way (barrel blocks), because it's impossible as you are not stressing anything.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Heard of any one shearing an index pin with Bev-Block?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Heard of any one shearing an index pin with Bev-Block?
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes, but not for awhile now.
View Quote
You are correct, but I just don't understand why people keep trying to re-invent the wheel, barrel blocks have been in use for a long time now and they are very easy to make for just about no cost.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Why go straight to the lower receiver block in the OP, instead of an upper receiver block? That would be the better half measure, heh.

Just curious, lol, even though i see you are  planning on using bbl block now.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies everyone.  Just to close the loop, handguards are coming off and the barrel blocks are going on.  Lazy == $
View Quote
 This outcome neatly illustrates why handguards that extend all the way to the muzzle are not such a good idea. - CW
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#18]
A barrel block is easily made by using a short piece of 2x4 wood, drilling a barrel diameter hole through it and then cutting the 2x4 in half splitting the hole in the middle. I then use some old leather pieces to line the halves of the drilled hole. Clamp both pieces in your bench block with your rifle and install your FH. I find that for Indexing that it is best to tighten then back off then tighten again repeating this process until the FH is indexed correctly.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A crush washer is not designed to be be tightened/loosened/tightened.

I never do this. Steady and constant crush until aligned.
View Quote
This.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top